DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grounded!

Remember as a kid on Christmas morning when you'd sit around the tree full of hope, wonder & excitement? Remember when that feeling was crushed as you unwrapped aunt Judy's gift and found she knitted you a wool sweater with a reindeer on it? (Damnit Judy!)

After I put the kids to bed last night I had some quiet time at my desk to carefully start unboxing my M2P and accessories. Everything was thoroughly inspected & meticulously organized. Batteries were labeled, drone was marked with registration numbers & firmwares were updated. Setup tutorials were watched and beginner mode (along with some other beginner settings) were configured. Everything was charged up before bed and then carefully placed into the bag with big hopes of a morning flight.

Well, this morning I unwrapped Aunt Judy's sweater!

Torrential downpours, sustained winds @ 20+ KM/h with gusts of 50+ KM/h. it's supposed to clear up a little later this afternoon as far as rain, but the winds don't seem to be going anywhere, with another 1-3mm of rain tomorrow and 22-33KM/h windows carrying through until Friday when I leave on a trip.

I probably could get it in the air before I leave, but this would be my first flight with a drone and high winds is nothing something I wish to work with while I get the hang of it so looks like I'll have to wait until next week.

Bah humbug!

@MAVIC_2_YTS
Oh, thank you, glad you like it. :)

I did actually shot this as a 3 bracket image but rather than merging it together, I finally ended up using only the mid image with 1/1250th f2.8. It had enough information.
In Lightroom I then turned down the lights and raised the shadows and played a bit with gradient filters as pre-processing. I always finish my images in Photoshop and voilá, isn't it nice to have this bandwith in a single DNG of the Mavic 2?

Certainly, the quality of my Canon DSLR rig is still better (in large prints) though I never would be able to take shots like this.

Here's the DNG directly from the Mavic, pretty flat, right (it's supposed to be like that)? But there you see, the advantages of RAW editing.

ilmdc_original.jpg
ilmdc.jpg

Last edited:
Buy a small (toy) drone and fly it around the living room. (Never mind the German Shepherd trying to snag it out of the air.) Great practice and will cost well under $50.

Reactions: MAVIC_2_YTS
When I first got mine we had great weather for several weeks prior. After I got it we had either rain and/or strong winds almost every day for three weeks. I managed to get a few short flights in between rain showers on some days with little to no wind, but on the rain free days the wind made it unsafe to fly instead. I totally get your frustration.

The good new is that eventually the weather will allow for safe and fun flying, and boy is it fun! I have put almost 40 hours on mine this summer and enjoyed every minute of it :)

Sounds like you know what you are doing, and you are doing it right.
Remember: it is better being on the ground wishing you were in the air, than being in the air, wishing you were on the ground!

"Remember: it is better being on the ground wishing you were in the air, than being in the air, wishing you were on the ground!"

That should be a tattoo or a morale patch or a bumper sticker - or something!!! Thumbswayup

Buy a small (toy) drone and fly it around the living room. (Never mind the German Shepherd trying to snag it out of the air.) Great practice and will cost well under $50.
Lately I've been finding myself fly the Tello. Rather hot these days to fly outdoors.

Remember as a kid on Christmas morning when you'd sit around the tree full of hope, wonder & excitement? Remember when that feeling was crushed as you unwrapped aunt Judy's gift and found she knitted you a wool sweater with a reindeer on it? (Damnit Judy!)

After I put the kids to bed last night I had some quiet time at my desk to carefully start unboxing my M2P and accessories. Everything was thoroughly inspected & meticulously organized. Batteries were labeled, drone was marked with registration numbers & firmwares were updated. Setup tutorials were watched and beginner mode (along with some other beginner settings) were configured. Everything was charged up before bed and then carefully placed into the bag with big hopes of a morning flight.

Torrential downpours, sustained winds @ 20+ KM/h with gusts of 50+ KM/h. it's supposed to clear up a little later this afternoon as far as rain, but the winds don't seem to be going anywhere, with another 1-3mm of rain tomorrow and 22-33KM/h windows carrying through until Friday when I leave on a trip.

I probably could get it in the air before I leave, but this would be my first flight with a drone and high winds is nothing something I wish to work with while I get the hang of it so looks like I'll have to wait until next week.

Bah humbug!
Yep can be very frustrating !!! thats why I have a Parrott Mambo so I can at least fly inside and still have some fun and flight practice !!!!

Bah humbug!
With that type of weather you should be thankful for Aunt Judy's sweater...LOL

They do have weather forecasts where you are right? I'll always check the weather forecast for the locations and days I plan on flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost