DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H.264 versus H.265 mini 3 pro

bersecti

Reactions
So I have read the other thread regarding mini 3 pro 264 versus 265.

I worked out when my sons gaming laptop wouldn’t play any of my 60FPS recordings that the drone had bumped me to H.265 when I upped my FPS from 30 to 60 even though I had started with H.264 selected.

My dumb question is this. I have only had a quick look at the free version of Davinci resolve I just put on aforementioned gaming laptop. I have not played with proxyies or handbrakes.

As I am running out of time before disappearing into the beautiful jungles of Indonesia with my first drone in hand should I simply give up on the higher frame rates for any slow motion surf shots as I am still unaware of whether I will ever be able to play them? Or trust in the force (or my ability to find out what the heck handbraking and proxies are) and/or hope my wife lets me buy a Dell XPS 15 32g RAM OLED on my return?

I worked out when my sons gaming laptop wouldn’t play any of my 60FPS recordings that the drone had bumped me to H.265 when I upped my FPS from 30 to 60 even though I had started with H.264 selected.

My dumb question is this. I have only had a quick look at the free version of Davinci resolve I just put on aforementioned gaming laptop. I have not played with proxyies or handbrakes.

As I am running out of time before disappearing into the beautiful jungles of Indonesia with my first drone in hand should I simply give up on the higher frame rates for any slow motion surf shots as I am still unaware of whether I will ever be able to play them? Or trust in the force (or my ability to find out what the heck handbraking and proxies are) and/or hope my wife lets me buy a Dell XPS 15 32g RAM OLED on my return?
In Australia you should be shooting 25FPS not 30 and 50FPS not 60 if you want to playback in slow motion from the higher frame rate.

You need to check you have the correct frame rate in use in your DaVinci Resolve timeline.

Proxies are a low resolution copy of the full resolution video file that the editor can use without having to use a higher-powered/faster laptop/desktop PC. DaVinci Resolve can create these for you. Once your edit is complete Resolve can then create the same edits but this time using the full resolution files. It will take a little longer than real-time to create the file depending on the speed of the PC.

Handbrake is a program for the Apple MacOS, Windows and Linux that can create compressed files and convert between various formats.

The higher frame rates will be recorded in H.265 and when you go back to shooting "normal" frame rates, you will need to switch it back to H.264 manually. Handbrake will convert your H.265 footage to H.264 so it will edit easier on your computer, also in Da Vinci, you can set the playback resolution lower to help or make proxies. I would suggest a Mac with an M-chip for editing but it seems you are used to the PC world.

I just ran into the same problem with 4k videos I'd taken on a photo safari. The files produced were so cumbersome for my old (Intel I7) PC to process I ended up with replacing my PC's mobo to an I9 processor, more RAM, and video card. I used Premier Pro until this roadblock was encountered. The only editing program that would work was Davinci Resolve Pro. So, I recommend 30fps and maximum of 4k until it's absolutely the standard. Right now everything gets dumbed down for Instagram, Youtube, etc. The net is mostly copper with only a few fiber trunk lines. I still use H264-5 for personal videos but downgrade the output in post production.

I tried 60 FPS for a while. It created huge files, at least in comparison to 30 FPS. I wanted to compare so I took a flight using 60 FPS, then repeated it in 30FPS. I could not see any difference; not on my PC and not on my 4K TV. The only difference I saw was that the 60 FPS video file was about 50% larger and the playback used more memory and more processor. So I switched back to 30 FPS H.264 on the Mini 3. I'm at 30 FPS H.265 on my Mavic 3

When I do post-processing I always create H.265 as the files seem to be smaller. Not sure why even though I read the explanation somewhere. No retention in my sieve of a brain

from what I've read and what I've seen on youtube, if you're a professional videographer or just a dedicated amateur, shooting in 10-bit color vs 8-bit color offers a lot of post-processing options. But that's above my pay-grade...well above

I like 60 FPS, and I've been caught a few times with the switch from 264 to 265 when using 4K. Thats how I discovered Handbrake and is it ever dead simple! Give it a try and your worries will be over :cool:

Or trust in the force (or my ability to find out what the heck handbraking and proxies are) and/or hope my wife lets me buy a Dell XPS 15 32g RAM OLED on my return?
Don't wait for that! I already have an XPS 15 i7 w/ 32 Gb RAM, and I still have trouble with H265, depending on the frame rate!

There is no need to use the frame rates native to Australia unless you intend to play the videos back on the Australian video equipment. Recording them with them in the local standard will make them very difficult to play or edit back in the 60 hz world.
So what good reason would he want to playback ‘in the 60hz world’ when natively everything is 50hz here.?

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
In Australia you should be shooting 25FPS not 30 and 50FPS not 60 if you want to playback in slow motion from the higher frame rate.

You need to check you have the correct frame rate in use in your DaVinci Resolve timeline.

Proxies are a low resolution copy of the full resolution video file that the editor can use without having to use a higher-powered/faster laptop/desktop PC. DaVinci Resolve can create these for you. Once your edit is complete Resolve can then create the same edits but this time using the full resolution files. It will take a little longer than real-time to create the file depending on the speed of the PC.

Handbrake is a program for the Apple MacOS, Windows and Linux that can create compressed files and convert between various formats.

There actually was a little bit of method to my madness with trialling 60FPS and slowing down to 30fps for slow mo. My wife has a Samsung S22 Ultra and it looks like I can only change between 30 and 60 on it. I know it does the ridiculouslily fast super slow motion as well but we’ll never use it. What we might end up doing is dropping some of her 30fps normal videos into DaVinci so I figured changing to 30/60 on the Mini3 would cause less headaches when editing mixed footage on the same timeline. If you tell me Davinci will deal with S22 footage side by side with my drone footage on 25/50 I’ll go with that.

A big of a moot point as the free version of DaVinci is giving me the popup saying my intel graphics drivers are out of date (they arent) and it looks like the free version won’t let me change over to the Nvidia graphics GPU card in son’s lappie. Will this question require another thread tho!!?

So what good reason would he want to playback ‘in the 60hz world’ when natively everything is 50hz here.?
I just explained my weird logic to going 60 and 30 for slow motion coz of my wife’s S22 Ultra galaxy. It doesn’t matter because I can’t get my son’s laptop to playback 60 or 50 as they are both in H.265. That and the fact that I am still running the free version of DaVinci maybe? I found some websites saying the paid DaVinci can deal with GPU and specically mentioned Nvidia cards which my sons lappie has.

One of the difference from DaVinci Resolve free from the studio is the studio version allow you to render at full capacity from the GPU. The free only allow 50%. Also the Free version is limited to 4K. I have done 8K with the studio version. There are more differences like filters and other goodies.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
One of the difference from DaVinci Resolve free from the studio is the studio version allow you to render at full capacity from the GPU. The free only allow 50%. Also the Free version is limited to 4K. I have done 8K with the studio version. There are more differences like filters and other goodies.
I am thinking of just buying the full version to crack on with this and put my mind at ease and be able to record in any formate. No doubt something else will pop up though.

Sons laptop I am trying to get to run both formats is a Nitro AN517-51 with an i7 processor @ 260 ghz. With 16G RAM. It’s got a NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650 card in it but I think this is not usable in free version so getting the credit card out should solve this?

Download Shutter Encoder, its free, I use it everyday. It will convert your h265 to h264. The DJI Mini 3 Pro 4K 60 FPS modes only shoot in h265, its so much data, and the h265 works it nicely with it that way. If you choose 60 fps, it switches to h265 automatically in the background. And. If you switch back to another FPS, like 30, the switch is still stuck it at h265, you have to go back and change it.

Or. Download Shutter Encoder. Its super easy. Its free. Its a hidden gem. I use it daily.

Reactions: flyingbackwards
I just explained my weird logic to going 60 and 30 for slow motion coz of my wife’s S22 Ultra galaxy. It doesn’t matter because I can’t get my son’s laptop to playback 60 or 50 as they are both in H.265. That and the fact that I am still running the free version of DaVinci maybe? I found some websites saying the paid DaVinci can deal with GPU and specically mentioned Nvidia cards which my sons lappie has.
DaVinci Resolve doesn’t support mixed frame rates on the timeline but there are workarounds - odd ones! One involves copying and pasting between different timelines, deleting the clips in the project, setting the frame rate again and then going back to the Un Do option to replace the clips back in the project. What this does is allow, as an example, a 29.97FPS clip to be added to a 30FPS timeline. It’s such a close match that visually you won’t notice it but any audio will be slightly out of sync. Adding a 50FPS clip to a 25FPS timeline through the same process will make the 50FPS clip playback in slow motion, which could be a good thing but any audio would be unusable. The same goes for 30/60FPS. It does work but it’s not ideal.

Ideally you should record in the frame rate you expect to be played back on.

Unless you have a need to use 8K the free version of Resolve is all you need. The GPU support in the paid Studio version helps with effects playback while editing and reducing render time. However if a project renders in half the time for such short video projects typical of drone shoots does it really matter?

As an example, using an M1 iPad with a 4K project, rendering is just under real-time (depending on complexity). So a 5-minute video is only going to take 5.5-6 mins. If you were rendering a feature film and charged by the hour, yes it would be worth the Studio version. But for the short videos we make it’s not really worth it.

Last edited:
I am thinking of just buying the full version to crack on with this and put my mind at ease and be able to record in any formate. No doubt something else will pop up though.

Sons laptop I am trying to get to run both formats is a Nitro AN517-51 with an i7 processor @ 260 ghz. With 16G RAM. It’s got a NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650 card in it but I think this is not usable in free version so getting the credit card out should solve this?
The GeForce GTX1650 should be capable to do the job without issues. There is something else here. Can be codec.

The GeForce GTX1650 should be capable to do the job without issues...
To be honest... the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Ti (likely Ti as it's the laptop version) is a several year old budget low/medium level gaming d-GPU that still works for 1080p but will most probably struggle with 4K.

Reactions: zeusfl
That is correct. 1080P will be perfect. 4K will recommend something like GeForce RTX3060 or up.

If money is not a problem get something like mine.
ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 Ti, 128GB DDR 3533, AMD 5950X, 2 Samsung nvme 980 Pro 2TB, 360mm CPU cooler, GPU water cooper and A Corsair 1600W PS.

This beast renders 6 minutes 5.1K 50FPS videos in 3 minutes.

DD75AB7A-78BC-4C35-840E-E2A0CD5A80DB.jpeg

...This beast renders 6 minutes 5.1K 50FPS videos in 3 minutes.
😁... a bit OT, but couldn't resist.

Lenovo Legion 7i laptop with Intel i9-12900HX & Nvidia GeForce 3080-Ti 16GB GDDR6 with 32GB DDR5 RAM

6 minutes 5,3K 50fps 100Mbps in Davinci Resolve Studio 18... with full utilization of both the i-GPU & d-GPU it was rendered in 5min & 45s.

Imagine how much space you could save on the desk, or that you could render on the go... for just 2 min & 45s extra 😂

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi