DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

h264 vs h265

mavicpro@2018

Reactions
I shoot exclusively in 1080p, understand that it is easier to edit the video in H264. Will there be any quality difference between h264 vs h265 in full HD?

Why would I do that, I see no difference on my 27 "2.7K screen?
You may not see a difference, but they came out with 4k for a reason (and now 8k)...

It's better quality

In 4K I can easily zoom to 200% with minimal distortion. Try that in 1080p and it'll be a pixelated mess.

Reactions: irpnetgb
You may not see a difference, but they came out with 4k for a reason (and now 8k)...

It's better quality

In 4K I can easily zoom to 200% with minimal distortion. Try that in 1080p and it'll be a pixelated mess.

Ok, but why would I zoom in on a video?

H.264 and H.265 should be equivalent in image quality. H.265 files are roughly half as big, but require more PC computing horsepower to play back without stuttering.

Also H.265 files are not as standardized and compatible with various software post packages. Unless file size is a real issue, use H.264 if available.

Reactions: hiflyer201
H.264 and H.265 should be equivalent in image quality. H.265 files are roughly half as big, but require more PC computing horsepower to play back without stuttering.

Also H.265 files are not as standardized and compatible with various software post packages. Unless file size is a real issue, use H.264 if available.

I shoot exclusively in 1080p, understand that it is easier to edit the video in H264. Will there be any quality difference between h264 vs h265 in full HD?

The comments above are accurate, but the answer to your specific question depends somewhat on the encoding strategy. Encoding with more compression for similar quality (i.e. H.265) permits a range of results. You can halve the bit rate and generate a file of equivalent quality to H.264 that is just half the size, or you can keep the bit rate the same and generate a file of the same size but with twice (non-technically speaking) the quality. Or anything in between. You really need to compare file sizes to know exactly what is happening at HD resolution.

The comments above are accurate, but the answer to your specific question depends somewhat on the encoding strategy. Encoding with more compression for similar quality (i.e. H.265) permits a range of results. You can halve the bit rate and generate a file of equivalent quality to H.264 that is just half the size, or you can keep the bit rate the same and generate a file of the same size but with twice (non-technically speaking) the quality. Or anything in between. You really need to compare file sizes to know exactly what is happening at HD resolution.
[/Q
ok, i will do a test Thumbswayup

I tested in 1080p for fifteen sec.
I was surprised that it was exactly the same file size between h264 vs h265o_O

So they are using the same bitrate, in which case the H.265 should be higher quality - i.e. less apparent compression.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
H.265 is used more often if you are color grading your video in post production. If all you want to do is shoot good looking video, do a simple edit and share it with friends and family (and us, your Mavic extended family), then stay with H.264 and 1080p. In the long run the files will take up much less space on your hard drive. In fact, except for white balance, you could shoot everything in auto too if you're just shooting for fun, not commercially. Experiment and good luck.

Reactions: RMS001
I have found that 265 does not cache video in my IPad (v5). This drove me nuts for a while until some one in a forum advised me to switch to 264.

Here is a good explanation about what the difference is. https://link.medium.com/RTp1pMxie8

This article was written in 2016 though, and so the one negative - the computing power needed to decide h.265 vs h.264, has been reduced quite a bit.

I see a lot of bias for h.264 here and in the drone community, which I’m new to. Professionally, I’ve worked in voice and video technology for roughly 20 years. In the broader context, h.265 is mostly seen as an overdue update for h.264, which was ratified as a protocol standard in 2003, quite a ways back given how quickly technology changes. My best guess is that if you are doing a lot of video editing, the Popular software choices are still mixed in terms of support. That, and good old human nature and our collective resistance to any change, of any kind! ;)

Reactions: Kingsley Burton1
I have found that 265 does not cache video in my IPad (v5). This drove me nuts for a while until some one in a forum advised me to switch to 264.

I have an iPhone 11 and an iPad mini 4. Both work with caching and both are on current iOS releases. What iPad and iOS version combo are you using?

I typically have had video caching on up until a month ago, when I watched a YouTube video pointing out that by turning it on, you’re asking your Android it iOS device to do a lot more work while flying your drone. That, plus the fact that you drop a lot of storage on your device even if you don’t fly all that much. And that you get much better quality from the SD card files themselves. All if that led me to change my default setup and I no longer video cache. But prior, I had no issues for months.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78