Join Us Now

Had a friendly drone encounter with construction workers today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Today I was flying exploring looking for friends and I come across construction people

It was hot out, I would had kept flying for so much longer
But the heat made me weak and lightheaded

I try to figure out what hand signals they are trying to signel to me to do stuff like spin and shake and wiggle and stuff
I did tricks for them
Made them happy
Now they will have a story to tell to thier wife and kids when they go home
I am happy

Nice video but a point, watch your height.
At times you are fairly low, I don't know how low but I wouldn't want you to get low enough to be hit, from behind, by a tall vehicle e.g. a container lorry or, if you have them, a double decker bus.

Reactions: Torque
Nice video but a point, watch your height.
At times you are fairly low, I don't know how low but I wouldn't want you to get low enough to be hit, from behind, by a tall vehicle e.g. a container lorry or, if you have them, a double decker bus.
Yes sir
I understand
But
How else would they notice me?

You violated so many laws that I wish I had been there and I would have introduced you to the REAL top sign and taken your drone out!!! Your total disregard of safe flying rules probably means you are flying without any FAA authorizations, TRUST Certificate, etc...

I noticed that you edited a lot out but at 1:15 you flew over a guy on a scooter, at 1:35, 6:07, 7:46, and 8:53, you flew over operating vehicles, all violations of the law... And that is just thee first video...

I hope the FAA sees your videos and pursues you. People like you make it rough for the rest of us to fly legally.

My dad always told me it's easier to teach you something instead of scolding you or yelling at you if I keep level headed yes you broke some rules you got to be careful doing that kind of stuff it was a good video

My dad always told me it's easier to teach you something instead of scolding you or yelling at you if I keep level headed yes you broke some rules you got to be careful doing that kind of stuff it was a good video
I thank you
For highliting my mistake
And I thank the thunder guy too
It's one thing to be scolded which I have been before
But the comment above your is scaring me to death
Between you and i

Go down, get their attention then climb to say 25ft, I think that's above all normal vehicle heights. A tall vehicle will not be bothered about whether you have got the workers' attention.
Thank you for the advice
I tried it
On someone my age playing basketball
It worked and we met and we played basket ball
Me and him are friends now
Thank you so much

It seems that I am being made out to be an ogre for taking exception to this young person flying their drone up and down a street in their hometown. The drone is flown low and slow over people and vehicles and it hovered near a traffic control person, just trying to do their job.

This is illegal and downright dangerous. It does not matter if it is done innocently or not, the drone can cause serious injury or worse.

If I was out in the street trying to control traffic to ensure the vehicles and pedestrian were safe, I would be both distracted and creeped out by a drone hovering over me. I would consider this harassment and I would probably have tested his skill at advoiding a "flying" traffic cone…

The OP wrote that the construction people were trying to signal him, but even when they flashed the STOP Sign at him, he missed the point.

The OP wrote to me and I am not going to go on defending my position nor am I going to notify the FAA, I'm not a cop, but that does not mean that the construction workers did not tell their supervisors about this and they notify the authorities. It was not like he just visited the area, he hovered, he stayed, and since there is a second video, he probably went back…

Yeah, he (the OP) is just 16-years old, and so were the two kids from my subdivision (I did not know them…) who skipped out of school last Friday, took the family SUV for a joy ride and crashed at high speed, head-on into a tractor trailer, killing them both. The whole county seems to be mourning their loss. I'm just thankful they hit a tractor trailer and not a school bus full of children. And no one is saying anything about the driver of the tractor trailer who hit those kids, killing them, and having to live with that knowledge for the rest of his life…

Having to say you are sorry for doing something you know is wrong never hacks it….

Last edited:
It seems that I am being made out to be an ogre for taking exception to this young person flying their drone up and down a street in their hometown. The drone is flown low and slow over people and vehicles and it hovered near a traffic control person, just trying to do their job.

This is illegal and downright dangerous. It does not matter if it is done innocently or not, the drone can cause serious injury or worse.

If I was out in the street trying to control traffic to ensure the vehicles and pedestrian were safe, I would be both distracted and creeped out by a drone hovering over me. I would consider this harassment and I would probably have tested his skill at advoiding a "flying" traffic cone…

The OP wrote that the construction people were trying to signal him, but even when they flashed the STOP Sign at him, he missed the point.

The OP wrote to me and I am not going to go on defending my position nor am I going to notify the FAA, I'm not a cop, but that does not mean that the construction workers did not tell their supervisors about this and they notify the authorities. It was not like he just visited the area, he hovered, he stayed, and since there is a second video, he probably went back…

Yeah, he (the OP) is just 16-years old, and so were the two kids from my subdivision (I did not know them…) who skipped out of school last Friday, took the family SUV for a joy ride and crashed at high speed, head-on into a tractor trailer, killing them both. They whole county seems to be mourning their loss. I'm just thankful they hit a tractor trailer and not a school bus full of children. And no one is saying anything about the driver of the tractor trailer who hit those kids, killing them, and having to live with that knowledge for the rest of his life…

Having to say I'm sorry for doing something you know is wrong never hacks it….

I read the rules for 2022
I messed up
So I came up with a safer way today and it worked just fine
I learn from my mistakes and I appreciate you pointing them out so I can learn from them

Flying cones... reminds me of the tornado video I watched
I guess I can dodge a flying cone to answer your question (if you are asking it) if I can dodge a stick thrown by some mean kids who thought it would be okay to throw middle fingers up and throw things when your not even doing anything to them
I'm sure we all had been through that especially those who live around kids who don't know better
I just dodge and and scare them away so I can keep recording the fireworks and go on from there
As far as the last part in your reply I'm still sorry because I didn't mean to break rule and I definitely didn't mean for you to take it that way and be really upset with me
Won't not happen again
Let's be friends
*Hug*

Reactions: Derek H and Torque
Oh yeah
When I mean signels I don't mean with the sign
I mean with hand signels
For example in some part of the video
He signeled me to spin
So I spun

Hi Kywon, haven't seen you in a while. I'm glad to see your back enjoying the forum. I have to tell you I couldn't bring myself to watch your video much beyond 15 sec or so just because of where you were flying. Just sayin.
That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy seeing one of your other videos if it was somewhere more safe to fly.

Reactions: MarkTun and Torque
Hi Kywon, haven't seen you in a while. I'm glad to see your back enjoying the forum. I have to tell you I couldn't bring myself to watch your video much beyond 15 sec or so just because of where you were flying. Just sayin.
That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy seeing one of your other videos if it was somewhere more safe to fly.
I couldn't bring myself to fly longer than 9 minutes not because of that but because I am tired of flying in the same place every day this time all I wanted was friends

Oh speaking of other videos check out my night test

Don't think I didn't notice you and other people staying with me whenever I post a thread
I wanna thank you and others for riding with me

Today I was flying exploring looking for friends
It is very tricky to use a drone to find or make friends. Especially if it involves flying or hovering around them and you are in concealed position taking video. It tends to irritate people.

Now, back in the old days, before my city banned all drones in all city parks and cut me off at the knees, I had some great social interactions with all kinds of adults, kids and dogs. The parks were perfect for it. It was so much fun and so perfect that I figured sooner or later it would be illegal just like it is now.
I try to figure out what hand signals they are trying to signel to me to do stuff like spin and shake and wiggle and stuff
I am not sure the guy was signalling approval or encouragement. You have to be mindful that many people do not like drones flying or hovering close to them and recording images especially when operator is concealed.
I did tricks for them
Made them happy
I am happy
Okay well think positive, be positive. But personally I would refrain from flying or hovering around the guy with the stop sign for a while.

The only group of people I found who did not give a rip where or how close I flew were the skateboarders at the park down by the water. In fact, I would intentionally set up right in the middle of the skaters who zigged and zagged all around me. They created so much noise and chaos that no one else in the park would come close or even see or hear what I was doing. A side benefit is that it helped me develop my ability to concentrate on flying and relax even in midst of chaos.

Reactions: Torque and Rchawks
It is very tricky to use a drone to find or make friends. Especially if it involves flying or hovering around them and you are in concealed position taking video. It tends to irritate people.

Now, back in the old days, before my city banned all drones in all city parks and cut me off at the knees, I had some great social interactions with all kinds of adults, kids and dogs. The parks were perfect for it. It was so much fun and so perfect that I figured sooner or later it would be illegal just like it is now.

I am not sure the guy was signalling approval or encouragement. You have to be mindful that many people do not like drones flying or hovering close to them and recording images especially when operator is concealed.

Okay well think positive, be positive. But personally I would refrain from flying or hovering around the guy with the stop sign for a while.

The only group of people I found who did not give a rip where or how close I flew were the skateboarders at the park down by the water. In fact, I would intentionally set up right in the middle of the skaters who zigged and zagged all around me. They created so much noise and chaos that no one else in the park would come close or even see or hear what I was doing. A side benefit is that it helped me develop my ability to concentrate on flying and relax even in midst of chaos.
Your reply comforts me
I will probably have to tread more careful
When it comes to making friends with drones
But wait
I don't wanna show myself
I wanna be hidden
I'm nervous
Besides they seem to like it when I fly instead of me which is why I do it that way

Not a good example of flying near people, but you know that now.
In australia we are not permitted within 30m of a person not directly involved in the operation

Last edited:
So let me help you out my young friend.

To understand a little more of why this type of flying is a dangerous regardless of any rules by the FAA.

At 6:04 seconds the new guy laying out the Cones almost gets swiped by a car, was totally not paying Attention.

This leads me to one of the Most Important Aspect of flying a Drone I can Teach you, DISTRACTION !

The Problem with this type of flying is that they need to be watching every second for what Car is coming and going not only so they dont crash but also so they dont turn into the machine and Hole in the road and kill someone.

Its not always going to be about the FAA laws, its always going to be Common sense !
Are you putting anyone at risk, ?
Are you putting anyone in Danger. ?

Despite all the laws that I may not follow as Directed by the FAA , I never break those Common Sense laws .

We will never know the FAA rule book but we can always have Common Sense to see where things can go really wrong and if you follow Common sense , you can be a good pilot , maybe not great but better than most.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25