DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hanatora Charger discharge protocol- Is mine defective?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
For the money I thought that the Hanatora charger would be a decent investment to get all my M2 batteries charged up quickly. I selected this one because of it's discharge and storage modes. I've read the instructions noting that blue mode is for storage and green mode is for discharge. I've had my batteries on full charge, flew yesterday with one battery but not sure when I'll fly again, so wanted to take them all down to 50% until I go again.

I have three batteries hung on the charger now, first in the blue mode, which basically did nothing to bleed off the charge, then switched to the green which has been on for several hours. The charger is not showing that it's pushing any voltage or amperage, which is good and is cycling through the batteries and "checking" is flashing as it goes from one battery to the next. However the charger has been in this mode several hours and the batteries are all pretty much in the same state as when I put them on the charger.

Do I have a defective charger, or do I not know how to operate it? Or, are my expectations different than I imagined for the discharge mode. It charges the batteries quite quickly, but seemingly not so fast in the discharge mode.
TIA

Why don't you try the "discharge to 0%" mode to see if it's working ?

Personally I would let the "Smart" battery discharge itself as designed by DJI, instead of using a 3rd party unit that may not add anything to battery life.
If you notice DJI is using a trickle discharge over 5 or 10 days, this must be by design.

Discharging it quickly like the Hanatora does would be like running the battery normally ?

Also I'm not sure having the unit running all the time maintain the battery storage level would be safe, a failure of the fan would make it a fire hazard if it's on all the time.

Last edited:
Why don't you let the "Smart" battery discharge itself as designed by DJI, instead of using a 3rd party unit that may not add anything to battery life.
If you notice DJI is using a trickle discharge over 5 or 10 days, this must be by design.

Discharging it quickly like the Hanatora does would be like running the battery normally ?
It's a thought. The default as I understand is 10 days. How do I program it for 2 or 3 days? The thing is that I'll charge up all three batteries and maybe wait a day or two before flying, then only use one. The mistake I was making was charging them full after getting home after a flight (after letting them cool down). The DJI charger charges them one at a time even though in a 4 bank charger. The Hanatora will charge 2 simultaneously at full power while my DJI charger will do the same with the third. This gives me the ability to decide an hour before hand that I'll want to fly and get them all charged from 50% to full very quickly. But I tend only to use two, sometimes only one battery in an outing. So I thought that bringing them down to 50% would might keep the batteries in a better state waiting to fly. I dunno.

Any other opinions or advice?

It's a thought. The default as I understand is 10 days. How do I program it for 2 or 3 days? The thing is that I'll charge up all three batteries and maybe wait a day or two before flying, then only use one. The mistake I was making was charging them full after getting home after a flight (after letting them cool down). The DJI charger charges them one at a time even though in a 4 bank charger. The Hanatora will charge 2 simultaneously at full power while my DJI charger will do the same with the third. This gives me the ability to decide an hour before hand that I'll want to fly and get them all charged from 50% to full very quickly. But I tend only to use two, sometimes only one battery in an outing. So I thought that bringing them down to 50% would might keep the batteries in a better state waiting to fly. I dunno.

Any other opinions or advice?

I try and keep it simple, if I know I'm going to fly the next day I just put all the batteries on the DJI hub so that they "slow" charge overnight.
At the end of flying I just let the automatic discharge function work, if I need to fly again soon then I just top them up again using the same approach.

I don't actively monitor the battery levels making sure they get to 50% etc. that's all to complicated, just recharge them and go flying.
I haven't had a battery problem across all my drones following this approach since I got them, which is about 4 years

Using the Hanatora is easy . . . for normal charging mode (red light on), plug in the charger first, then plug in the batteries with the batteries turned OFF. However, for either storage mode or full discharge mode, you need to turn the charger on first, as before, then push the mode button to turn the light to green for discharge or blue for storage. Finally, turn the batteries ON before plugging them into the Hanatora!

Reactions: maggior and EricJT
I use the HANATORA which I bought about 6 weeks ago. I have four fairly new batteries that I am determined to make last a long time. I have three other batteries that are less than 2 years old and swollen so much that I stopped using them. I blame this on my habit of keeping them at full charge plus hot weather. Yesterday, for example, I flew two and 1/2 batteries. I put all 4 on the charger in the blue mode. Within about ninety minutes all four were at the safe storage point. This happens by having the batteries turned on and connected to the charger. So the fully charged battery was discharged to the storage level while the others were charged to the storage level. I am hoping that this will mean a longer life for these expensive batteries. Usually I know more than a hour ahead when I will fly and charge all four in ninety minutes or so. Also if the flight involves some travel l can use the 110 volt outlet in my car and use the charger as I travel.

I

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spawnn