DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand-catching on a Sailboat

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Here's a short vid with clips of some of the hand-catches on the sailboat I was recently aboard. I was flying drones in support of beaked whale surveys and my task was to capture aerial images of the whales when they surfaced. That was a challenge in itself, but so was launching and landing on the ship. The waves made the ship roll and pitch, there was wind and rigging, so I trained two of the crew how to hand-launch and catch. It was challenging, but worked great! I used both a Mavic Pro and P4P.

Good job! I would also suggest that you have it face away from you when landing so the stick movements match the drone movements.

Good job! I would also suggest that you have it face away from you when landing so the stick movements match the drone movements.

Thanks! I much prefer to fly in as I'd normally fly like you see in the video, feels much easier for me. But it is good advice for those trying this for the first time!

Since you weren't "sailing", really surprised you didn't have the mizzen boom sheeted fully to one side.

Reactions: Gringorio
Since you weren't "sailing", really surprised you didn't have the mizzen boom sheeted fully to one side.

True... The previous drone operator did that. If things were too much we'd move the catch location to either port or starboard midship where there was more room, less rigging.

giphy (2).gif

Be nice to have some on board video of the catch, we sail smaller Bermuda rig with rear stays that would hinder catching so I'm not even game to try.

Be nice to have some on board video of the catch, we sail smaller Bermuda rig with rear stays that would hinder catching so I'm not even game to try.

None was taken to my knowledge. Yeah, rigging would be the killer, especially when the boat is rolling. On this boat the only option was hand launch/catch.

Have you seen this video? This guy's pretty crazy, but skilled:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929