DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Handling hostile members of the public

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it really depends where people fly from. If confronted by someone who keeps yappin at me, I'll generally just leave. First off I try to avoid city flying unless it's out of a approved flying park. But I don't live in a large city and my photographic ventures are usually not city orientated. I fly from rural areas and have the luxury of close flying places. I run strobes day and night and never try to stealth operate. If I'm accused of spying, I tell them if I was spying I wouldn't have strobes on and operating in plain sight. I imagine inner city flying might be quite a different situation even though there are nut cases everywhere. So even in rural areas, I might get a dirty look from a farmer or rancher if I'm on a country road in the middle of nowhere. I prefer to find places that allow public access. Vista points, fishing access, bridges, and certain State and local parks/lakes are places where I have to share with others & have always worked well for me and my buddies. It seems people react differently in places where they have to interact with others in a rural setting. Most of the people who walk by me are curious. I've only had a few bad interactions. The spring bloom is coming up soon here in CA and I'll often go into the countryside and shoot images of the orchards. If I get a farmer asking what I'm doing, I'll just tell them I'm shooting the scenic area and ask them if they want a picture of their orchard or the surrounding area. Some have asked for an overhead picture of them in their vehicles. Then there are the grumpy ones where I pack it up and go. Another thing I noticed was when I fly with other friends at the same time. Flying in a group of people (even one extra person) seem to make the public more cooperative or less apt to make a scene. Maybe because flying by myself makes me look more suspicious. I'm into astronomy and have found it's similar.

Reactions: rxlawdude
In my chance encounters with the public, they have all been positive. The latest was a couple in a car nearby. While I was packing up and about to leave, they drove up and said they got much enjoyment watching my drone fly (equipped with Firehouse Technology ARC II's and highly visible). Older couple, really nice. I generally fly in rural areas where people are scarce. The cows certainly don't mind. I liken my M2P to a caged raptor. It wants to get out and fly the wide open spaces. Can't wait to get over to the east side of Washington State, fly the lava rock scablands, the basalt coulees, Columbia River and rolling wheat hills of the Palouse country.

I’m stealth, yet not stealth. I’m not hiding, but choosing the least conspicuous position.

btw, depending on the sun, the shadow of the drone may show up on the tennis court.
The drone was taken off from the parking lot, rose to 100 feet before the flight over the court. The drone came back via RHT method from 200 feet with precision landing exactly on my landing pad. Highly doubt a drone shadows from that height. You will be seeing y video soon to judge for yourself. I'm in the process of final editing.

Stealth is a term I have introduced into this forum, I believe, for me, it means flying at 6-7 AM in downtown area on a non-weekday, or late at night. It means going to the corner of the park instead of the middle. It means, looking around for police or security before unfurling my drone. Of course, I avoid congestion of cars and people, and remains legal at all times, using Kitty Hawk or Airmap. It is a drone life style.

I never push the envelope, or anyone's button. I never argue. I pack up and go. I never encourage engagement with another person. This does not eliminate encounters with curmudgeons (***HOLES). I recently was filming a sunrise with a TRIPOD (not a drone), I was up for a 6 AM sunset at the ocean's edge. Still, some jerk walks into my frame. When I flew my drone he made a crack about being illegal to fly here. Of course it was not. I completed my flight and put the drone away. Why would I want to get into a fight with this guy. Nothing good will come of it. That is what I define as Stealth Flying.

Last edited:
I hope this does ruin this new hobby for me. I was about to post that I don't really find flying relaxing because of the added stress of worrying about being confronted or others being uncomfortable about what you are doing.

I'm a more introverted person and enjoy quiet solo activities like cycling, gardening, Netflix binging. I had thought that drone photography would be equally peaceful but finding it is actually stressful. There is of course the stress of something going wrong in flight, but that is primarily under my control so I can deal with that. But these unpredictable outside influences are a constant anxiety.

So far, I've only had one external interaction, which started out negative but turned positive. It was completely non confrontational and I detailed it in another post. But still, having a hobby that can be challenged and temporarily shut down by a slack-jawed ignoramus or a random "Karen" is counter productive to relaxing, as is being viewed with quiet suspicion.

Rant over. I supposed there is little to be done but respond as amicably as we can when (not if) it does occur. I do try to find less populated places, which is not easy in my locale, and perhaps in time, I'll adjust to not be as stressed by this.

The drone was taken off from the parking lot, rose to 100 feet before the flight over the court. The drone came back via RHT method from 200 feet with precision landing exactly on my landing pad. Highly doubt a drone shadows from that height. You will be seeing y video soon to judge for yourself. I'm in the process of final editing.
I never actually tested how high you can see a drone shadow. I will do a test with my mini2 sometime this week just to see.

I never actually tested how high you can see a drone shadow. I will do a test with my mini2 sometime this week just to see.
I'm sure the shadow, if even existent, was fleeting. One of the Karins playing tennis got a hair up her a..

Reactions: Thomas B
A lot of people have never seen from the birds eye view. Most times people think drones invade on privacy but when you show them pictures from the aerial perspective which they have never seen then they think it’s cool.
Thats my experience totally, and when people go by me and see me looking at an iPad they have no idea what i'm doing or if they do, they have no idea where the drone is. People who see the drone have no idea where I am unless they saw me launch. I don't try to hide if I am flying legal, and explaining yourself has always worked for me.
Don't be afraid to stand up for your rights.

I got questioned by a farmer once on what I was up to. I told him I'm flying a drone taking photos of wildlife. He changed his tone a little when he saw I was out flying for fun. I overheard his companion in his truck say something about insurance. I think they were worried I was some sort of insurance spy taking photos of their property, they were probably up to something shady on their property and got nervous with me around, lol. My buddy Mr. SIG keeps me company when I'm out and about but I firmly believe that one should be discreet when flying drones. You guys are playing with expensive toys and you never know who's going to take advantage of that and try to rob you, never forget that basic principal. Wearing vests and being out and open makes you easy targets.

When ever I go out flying a friend of mine Mr. Ruger always asks if he can go with me. I always say sure as I enjoy the company.

Reactions: Lbesing
I don't subscribe to the stealth method. I don't have anything to hide, why should I act like I'm doing something wrong? If you go that route, then people will question your motives.

I try to explain what I'm doing when people are come up. While I won't let them fly it, I'll let them see the screen. Then I'll ask if they would like a picture emailed to them. A little kindness goes a long way in battling what is, for the lack of a better term, ignorance.

I have had one neighbor go from "are you spying on us" to "can you take an overhead shot of my house?".
I agree with you and others, up to a point. I keep my cool, but at the same time, I have not nor will not, try to continue to justify my actions to anyone. At a certain point, you have to stand up for yourself.
Basically, if I'm not illegal or immoral, I'm flying. And if anyone has a problem with it, it can go whichever way they want.

Reactions: Lbesing
The scary thing is how vulnerable you are as a pilot being confronted by an antagonist while your bird is in mid-flight. All the time you're trying to diffuse the situation, your battery is meanwhile draining and you can't give full attention to your controls, wind, hazards etc. It seems like a hostile confrontation like that while a pilot is in the middle of flight should be at least a misdemeanor.

The scary thing is how vulnerable you are as a pilot being confronted by an antagonist while your bird is in mid-flight. All the time you're trying to diffuse the situation, your battery is meanwhile draining and you can't give full attention to your controls, wind, hazards etc. It seems like a hostile confrontation like that while a pilot is in the middle of flight should be at least a misdemeanor.
Just hit RTH put the RC down and deal with the situation, your bird will come home and land by itself.

This guy does a fairly good job of dealing with a belligerent and uneducated member of the public.

good job.

I have experience issues...similar to your's. not as detail, as someone calling the cops, yet.

Reactions: ackdrone

Stealth is a term I have introduced into this forum, I believe, for me, it means flying at 6-7 AM in downtown area on a non-weekday, or late at night. It means going to the corner of the park instead of the middle. It means, looking around for police or security before unfurling my drone. Of course, I avoid congestion of cars and people, and remains legal at all times, using Kitty Hawk or Airmap. It is a drone life style.

I never push the envelope, or anyone's button. I never argue. I pack up and go. I never encourage engagement with another person. This does not eliminate encounters with curmudgeons (***HOLES). I recently was filming a sunrise with a TRIPOD (not a drone), I was up for a 6 AM sunset at the ocean's edge. Still, some jerk walks into my frame. When I flew my drone he made a crack about being illegal to fly here. Of course it was not. I completed my flight and put the drone away. Why would I want to get into a fight with this guy. Nothing good will come of it. That is what I define as Stealth Flying.
Sunsets at 6 in the morning where you are? LOL.

Reactions: Daytona500
I did take the guy's advice in the video. I created an "official" looking badge and will be getting a yellow safety vest..found some drone specific ones on Amazon. :). (and yes, I know the working in yellow has operation instead of operate. I already fixed it.)

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 1.01.39 AM.png

Reactions: ackdrone
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev