DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hanover Fire - Ice Training

Kneebeard

FAA 107 Certified
Reactions
My first entry into community service. My son is on the Hanover Fire department.

I presented it to the department on Tuesday evening and it was well received! I have the departments OK to share it here.

Flight notes: The power lines along the road limited my flight paths, and at times and seemed to be giving my Air a little bit of a problem. I have ideas about different shots I want to incorporate on my next project.

Post notes: It's been a while since I have done any post in video. I used iMovie this time. My royalty free music library is pretty limited - I will have to search for new material.

Reactions: Kneebeard
Good on ya fellas, training for such scenarios is paramount.

Have you seen @Lapeer20m threads / videos of his concept for ice lake rescue ?
(How's that going, btw ? Are you working in with DSAR with this or other such ?)

Ice water rescue

Delivering a flotation device and rope to an ice rescue "victim" 300' away.

ice rescue concept

I don’t want to steal this op theead, it is going quite well! The department purchased a Matrice 210 that is rated to carry 5 pounds of cargo and fly below zero degrees f and the drop mechanism has almost zero latency. Perfect for the task.

I don’t want to steal this op theead, it is going quite well! The department purchased a Matrice 210 that is rated to carry 5 pounds of cargo and fly below zero degrees f and the drop mechanism has almost zero latency. Perfect for the task.

Cool, OP will hopefully not mind and show his son, there is so much emergency services can get from all this drone tech.
DSAR for example here on the forum is really gathering speed.

That is great progress in the video above, the Matrice 200 is an excellent upgrade from the Mavic and obviously more suitable to the task !!
My adult son has a Matrice 600 hexa, awesome capability, he can carry is full Canon DSLR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kneebeard
That is very impressive. Do you know what the budget was for the system?

Unfortunately, Hanover is a small volunteer department with a small budget and I'd have to assume it might be out of their reach.

The original Mavic light line use wouldn't be too much of a cost I imagine, the drone being the most expensive part, and perhaps pilot training / accreditation ???

The release system could be as simple of the Gannet bait release, pending lightness of lead line.
Mavic Pro/Platinum Gannet Bait Release | Drone Fishing

A light lead line requires a person in ice water to be able to pull the heavier haul line to them, but I expect so too would be putting a recovery ring etc over your shoulders too.
Time in ice water is going to make a victim weak . . . fast, so perhaps the Matrice type system is simply needed.

@Lapeer20m can probably assist with more info there.

A bit of community fundraising can usually help with such items, could be used in local S&R too.

The original Mavic light line use wouldn't be too much of a cost I imagine, the drone being the most expensive part, and perhaps pilot training / accreditation ???

The release system could be as simple of the Gannet bait release, pending lightness of lead line.
Mavic Pro/Platinum Gannet Bait Release | Drone Fishing

A light lead line requires a person in ice water to be able to pull the heavier haul line to them, but I expect so too would be putting a recovery ring etc over your shoulders too.
Time in ice water is going to make a victim weak . . . fast, so perhaps the Matrice type system is simply needed.

@Lapeer20m can probably assist with more info there.

A bit of community fundraising can usually help with such items, could be used in local S&R too.

The gannet bait release is where it’s at.

The light lead line used here is actually rated for 1,500 pound breaking strength.

It floats and loses zero percent of its strength when wet.

300 feet only weighs 1 pound.

If you can deliver this with a horse collar shaped floatation device a user can likely put this device around themselves by simply putting their arm through it.

I’ve spent hours practicing delivering rope/floatation devices with mavic.

The biggest limitation is that it is rated for zero pounds of cargo which creates liability issues.

It physically carries 1 pound without issue In my experience, even in pretty stiff winds.

It’ll lift off with more than 2 pounds of cargo but is not controllable.

I've always thought fishing braid would be good, but 1500lb breaking strain, might be something else.
Have carried a very thin cord 2mm (3/32" ?) that is stronger than steel braid in same thickness.

I guess it must be something that won't tangle easily, reasonable diameter.

Spotted this last night DGU Byrd, larger drone (more carry capability ? Less drama with flight restrictions and updates etc ?) has a release built in from factory . . . release system from 4:30 . . .

The gannet bait release is where it’s at.

The light lead line used here is actually rated for 1,500 pound breaking strength.

It floats and loses zero percent of its strength when wet.

300 feet only weighs 1 pound.
I will look into the Gannet release a bit further - not bad for about $150.
The line you referenced - do you have a manufacturer or a spec on it by chance?

Amsteel blue

It comes in lots of colors.

You can find it on amazon in several different diameters.

I’ve purchased two 600 foot spools.

One issue with small diameter cord is that it is difficult for rescuers to grip and pull compared to actual rescue rope.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I attach it to the gannet using a key ring.

529D40BF-5038-487B-9448-330F8143BB75.jpeg

Another thing I do is leave the rescue flotation device to hang about 20’ below the drone.

This allows you to negate some of the effects of wind blowing the cargo around. I lower the flotation device into the water then pull it to the victim then immediately have the drone pilot lower the aircraft by about 5’, creating slack in the line.

Then release the line.

One thing I found in my early testing is that if you deliver a pfd to a person in the water, they tend to try to put it on.

So I try to deliver non wearable floatation devices...

Here is one of my earlier tests:

One thing I found in my early testing is that if you deliver a pfd to a person in the water, they tend to try to put it on.

So I try to deliver non wearable floatation devices...

Here is one of my earlier tests:

Delivery would have to be spot on, release before they get hold of flotation device, I can see a panicking person pulling like crazy on the device or cord when it gets that close.

Top stuff mate, the ideas everyday people come up with and develop can make a real difference to such scenarios, like the DSAR people gaining much momentum on here.
Helping fellow man and woman is part of most peoples human nature, the thought you helped find someone lost or from drowning would be an amazing thing to achieve.

Last edited:
Amsteel blue

It comes in lots of colors.

You can find it on amazon in several different diameters.

I’ve purchased two 600 foot spools.

One issue with small diameter cord is that it is difficult for rescuers to grip and pull compared to actual rescue rope.
Thank you! I’ll look it up on line.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J