DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harassed while flying drones

I have been harassed 3 times. I live right west of downtown Houston. Sometimes I come right out to an open lot across from me and test this or that, or I am getting pictures of downtown Houston. Nonetheless, a jogger once, said “People around here might not appreciate you taking pictures of their property”. The second was a complete ****, being aggressive. I stayed professional. Polite. Ahem...
The third, turns out his wife. An ***... apparently someone had flown a drone right outside her window.(must of been one hell of a pilot to hover in between three floor townhouses that are 6 feet apart)..... nonetheless to avoid further confrontation I go to other areas. I leave my 107 id, my DL, in a lanyard on my hip or on the hood of my car. Some people just don’t understand these birds take wide angle videos and pictures and are just paranoid. However there are weirdos who like flying over and looking at people. Which I find bizarre and absolutely disturbing. So those of us who fly for the right reasons get painted with the same brush as the creeps who do weird ****. Sucks.
Just be polite and professional. If you are flying somewhere where you legally should not, which shame on you... but pack your **** and bounce. If you are in the right, ask them to let you safely land your drone, then exercise politeness and let the law sort it out if it’s worth the battle to you. If not.. be the better person and find somewhere else to fly. Some people are next level paranoid and you will not win a “crazy stand off” style battle. Irrational people can NOT be rationalized with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I am so glad living most of the year in a country where flying drones is mostly regulated but nearly nobody cares. I am flying very often every time of the year since 3 years and till now it is been only two times somebody wanted to stop me flying (1.: a guy coming out of a church standing nearby). I did not discuss, not one word, but take my drone, went away and frome the opposite of the lake I flew the exact area the guy tried to get me away. Second time was when I discovered an area in the woods where they produced a mideaval movie. They came along and asked me to give them the sd cart to destroy the clips or photos. I said them clips and photos are stord at the cell phone, where I showed them how I destroyed them. They were content...
Beside that I have never had any difficulties - just the opposite, when droning at daylight mostly some people are around me, very interested about the drone, I am always patiently answering their questions and show them what is to see on the cell phone...

I have the impression you will get harassement before all in those countries where people are afraid of the new techniques, and reading the news about it, those are the "old" countries like england, germany, usa but not china, korea, eh, nigeria(?)

I have never been approached about flying my Mavic, but then, I'm in Montana and it is real easy to get completely away from people if i want. There are only 1,000,000 in the entire huge state.

I have people trespass on my property and tell me to get out of here with that drone. They have thrown rocks at it, in my yard.I have 4.6 acres and a little over 600 feet of river frontage when its flowing which it does this time of year. People are always walking thru my yard on the river just to look at the water and I fly out to the river to check it out and get some footage and people get pissed at me. Go Figure

out curiosity do you have a no trespassing signs posted on your property? Because if you don’t you’ll find that it might be difficult to prosecuting trespassers that you do want to keep off your Property.

its getting to the point that drone operators are going to start telling people to buzz off and mind your own business

Getting to? I’m at that point now and I’ve never been confronted or harassed. If I’m flying legally there is no way I’m backing down or packing up and going home. I have zero interest in attempting to placate anybody’s irrational fears and paranoias. That a job for their shrink.

out curiosity do you have a no trespassing signs posted on your property? Because if you don’t you’ll find that it might be difficult to prosecuting trespassers that you do want to keep off your Property.

Yes and no. It might depend on your states laws. In NJ we have two different types of trespass. Having a sign posted does help convict in some cases. You can still be convicted of trespassing even if there's no signs posted. Too much legalese to post here.

I have people trespass on my property and tell me to get out of here with that drone. They have thrown rocks at it, in my yard.I have 4.6 acres and a little over 600 feet of river frontage when its flowing which it does this time of year. People are always walking thru my yard on the river just to look at the water and I fly out to the river to check it out and get some footage and people get pissed at me. Go Figure
As much as I hate “No Trespassing” signs, the first time I got any grief for flying on my own property would also be the last time anyone would be allowed to set foot on my property without my permission. Anyone doing so would be reported for trespassing.

As much as I hate “No Trespassing” signs, the first time I got any grief for flying on my own property would also be the last time anyone would be allowed to set foot on my property without my permission. Anyone doing so would be reported for trespassing.
Yep! I got tired of picking up and returning neighbor kid’s toys... now they go to Salvation Army.

I have been lucky so far, people have shown more interest than disgust at my drone flying. I'm sure the day will come where some bozo will try to harass me. Just yesterday I put by done up several times from my backyard to monitor bushfires potentially heading my way. When my elderly neighbour asked what I was doing, he was pleased when I was able to tell him the fires were still a safe distance away.

Watch Victorian Aerial Vision Videos

Attachments

• DJI_0174.JPG
    DJI_0174.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 44
Someone should get those guys from Auditing America (you know, the YouTubers who test people's respect for the 1st Amendment) to make a few YouTube videos of drone flyers being hassled and how they handle the situation.

Typical scenario: Random member of the public approaches guy flying his drone legally and says, "Hey, you can't fly that thing here!"

The drone flyer replies, "Yes I can, I checked the regulations - it's all good mate."

The hassler says, "I'm calling the police!"

The drone flyer replies, "Be my guest. If they even bother to come out here to investigate you'll be educated. Meanwhile could you please move away from me - I don't want to risk breaking the law by flying my drone too close to you. Thank you very much."

Maybe this is just a rant, but I am just getting so tired of people harassing me when flying. I always fly according to FAA rules; I am a recreational pilot and always fly in the proper areas and notify airports/heliports properly, never fly above 400', always fly during day and etc. But I have had two different occasions where I was harassed, at the same place! (San Diego, CA! I've heard this place was supposed to be drone friendly!):

1.) I was flying when this man came up and said I was breaking rules because I was flying somewhere I shouldn't be (I checked map, everything was clear, etc). He then proceeded to get in my face and demand I show him my license. Mind you I'm quite a bit smaller than he was and he was beginning to scare me, so I literally showed him my FAA registration and he kept telling me how I was ruining drone flying for everyone else (I literally have done nothing wrong). It was awful, and really ruined the amazing shots I have. I literally look back at these beautiful videos and etc. and feel a pit in my stomach.

2.) I was flying at the same place the other day, within visual and everything, and a man came up to me and said I was "disturbing the birds nesting." I was nowhere near the birds and am ALWAYS careful not to disturb ANYONE as best I can while flying (I was out early in the morning to avoid being around people since last time it was so scary). I told him kindly, "Sir, I am not disturbing the birds." and then he said, "Yeah, sure." And rolled his eyes at me, walked away. Why do people feel they can be so rude like this?

Does anyone else have experience like this, and any recommendations of what to do? I was not breaking any law, and I had all the rights to be there that everyone else did. It's just really unfair, I think.

Cheers,

Here’s a shirt I wear often when flying;
View attachment 64668

Hum... maybe you could have worn a MAGA hat with the above shirt and had a few burly male/female friends in tow for the outing.o_O

In today's highly volatile political environment, particularly in the state of California you may want to pre-plan your flights and be prepared for any encounters that may develop.

I am confident you will be better prepared the next time you choose to fly.

Thx for posting~!

Last edited:
I have been lucky so far, people have shown more interest than disgust at my drone flying. I'm sure the day will come where some bozo will try to harass me.

Same. In my limited experience, people either ignore me or are politely curious. I think a lot has do do with where one operates. I tend to avoid urban environments where there are a lot of people out and about.

Launching and landing a drone from a city carpark is more likely to annoy people than say a deserted section of a beach. IMHO it's all about doing one's best to get a handle on the location and its inhabitants.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13