DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harassed while flying drones

I haven't flown much in the past few months due to an operation on my hip but all I've experienced is people interested in what I'm doing. No negative stuff. But, I do live in Australia :D:D:D

Yes - I'm seeing a pattern here. It's no secret that Australians are generally considered to be somewhat "laid back".

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I generally fly my drones out in the countryside where it's quiet although I do still occasionally see people, some just go by and most of those who speak to me are curious about the drone and want to know more. Out of all the photos I post online the drone photos are the most popular and I only ever get positive comments on them.

I've only had one instance where someone was hostile to me, I was near a pretty loch but walked the drone some distance away to ensure it wasn't disturbing anyone. It was too windy though and after a short flight I took the Mavic down and was preparing to land when unfortunately a walker was coming by. She immediately started complaining telling me how much I'd ruined her walk for the last half hour due to the drone constantly buzzing about, I told her none of that was true as my Mavic hadn't even been up for ten minutes and there was no way she could have been hearing it. She only knew about it because she happened to be passing when it was landing and it would shortly be powered off. She made a few more negative comments and walked off, aside from the fact I was completely legal in the way I was flying it and had made an effort not to disturb anyone the dogs playing in the nearby Loch were making far more noise.

It's the most frustrating part of flying drones for me as I'm a quiet, non-confrontational person so I'm always overly worried someone is going to confront me about flying the drone even though I've taken a lot of effort to both fly legally and not bother anyone. Even though the reality is the anti-drone people are simply a very vocal minority and I've had only had a single negative experience, it's still a big worry when flying.

I have people trespass on my property and tell me to get out of here with that drone. They have thrown rocks at it, in my yard.I have 4.6 acres and a little over 600 feet of river frontage when its flowing which it does this time of year. People are always walking thru my yard on the river just to look at the water and I fly out to the river to check it out and get some footage and people get pissed at me. Go Figure
People can be such idiots. Including me, although I try not to be. I fly off my back deck as you can see in my picture in a neighborhood with homes pretty close to each other. Been doing that for over a year now maybe once or twice a week. At first I got lots of flack in the neighborhood watch website but not so much anymore as I have a careful route away from the main complainers. Anyway, I am curious if you have NO TRESPASS signs up on your land? Not that you should need to.
" NOTICE - TRESPASSERS MAY BE OBSERVED BY DRONE ' Just thinking out loud here. Thanks for sharing with us.

No I have no signs and really don't want o prosecute people, and if there walking out by the river and not destroying my property I don't really care what I care about is them yelling at me for flying a drone in my yard. Its 4 and a half acres and I fly 6 or 700 feet out from the house to check the flood waters on the river and some times people are walking out on the north side property line to the river cause I can't see over there from my deck and they see the drone and I can here them yelling at it and even saw a guy try to throw a rock at it, well I was over a hundered feet up and he missed, but gessh just the idea. I recently had a knee replacement and I'm almost 70 years old so it not like I can jump down off my deck run out 600 feet and do a face to face with these people. and I really don't want to spend the money to post the land. You shouldn't have to have signs to get common courtesy

Attachments

• rawpixel-1090878-unsplash.jpg
    rawpixel-1090878-unsplash.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 31
Maybe this is just a rant, but I am just getting so tired of people harassing me when flying. I always fly according to FAA rules; I am a recreational pilot and always fly in the proper areas and notify airports/heliports properly, never fly above 400', always fly during day and etc. But I have had two different occasions where I was harassed, at the same place! (San Diego, CA! I've heard this place was supposed to be drone friendly!):

1.) I was flying when this man came up and said I was breaking rules because I was flying somewhere I shouldn't be (I checked map, everything was clear, etc). He then proceeded to get in my face and demand I show him my license. Mind you I'm quite a bit smaller than he was and he was beginning to scare me, so I literally showed him my FAA registration and he kept telling me how I was ruining drone flying for everyone else (I literally have done nothing wrong). It was awful, and really ruined the amazing shots I have. I literally look back at these beautiful videos and etc. and feel a pit in my stomach.

2.) I was flying at the same place the other day, within visual and everything, and a man came up to me and said I was "disturbing the birds nesting." I was nowhere near the birds and am ALWAYS careful not to disturb ANYONE as best I can while flying (I was out early in the morning to avoid being around people since last time it was so scary). I told him kindly, "Sir, I am not disturbing the birds." and then he said, "Yeah, sure." And rolled his eyes at me, walked away. Why do people feel they can be so rude like this?

Does anyone else have experience like this, and any recommendations of what to do? I was not breaking any law, and I had all the rights to be there that everyone else did. It's just really unfair, I think.

If I’m flying in residential areas or where I might get “flak”, I wear a bright yellow construction like vest that says, “FAA Licsensed Commercial Drone Pilot. Do Not Disturb”. Only got bothered once. I told the guy, “Sir, I’m currently conducting a flight and you distracting me is equivalent to distracting an airline pilot, which is a federal offense. Let me land and we can talk”. General public usually don’t know regulations and once you mention federal offense, they back off.

I go to huge parks where there's very little sighting of men. If not, I do it like I'm a spy, because spies are not bonded by any local laws.

Maybe this is just a rant, but I am just getting so tired of people harassing me when flying. I always fly according to FAA rules; I am a recreational pilot and always fly in the proper areas and notify airports/heliports properly, never fly above 400', always fly during day and etc. But I have had two different occasions where I was harassed, at the same place! (San Diego, CA! I've heard this place was supposed to be drone friendly!):

1.) I was flying when this man came up and said I was breaking rules because I was flying somewhere I shouldn't be (I checked map, everything was clear, etc). He then proceeded to get in my face and demand I show him my license. Mind you I'm quite a bit smaller than he was and he was beginning to scare me, so I literally showed him my FAA registration and he kept telling me how I was ruining drone flying for everyone else (I literally have done nothing wrong). It was awful, and really ruined the amazing shots I have. I literally look back at these beautiful videos and etc. and feel a pit in my stomach.

2.) I was flying at the same place the other day, within visual and everything, and a man came up to me and said I was "disturbing the birds nesting." I was nowhere near the birds and am ALWAYS careful not to disturb ANYONE as best I can while flying (I was out early in the morning to avoid being around people since last time it was so scary). I told him kindly, "Sir, I am not disturbing the birds." and then he said, "Yeah, sure." And rolled his eyes at me, walked away. Why do people feel they can be so rude like this?

Does anyone else have experience like this, and any recommendations of what to do? I was not breaking any law, and I had all the rights to be there that everyone else did. It's just really unfair, I think.[/QUOTE

I have a T-shirt with the following: BEFORE YOU APPROACH ME, CONSIDER THE LAW: U.S.CODE>TITLE18>PART 1>CHAPTER2>32 (a)WHOEVER WILLFULLY-(5)INTERFERES WITH OR DISABLES, WITH INTENT TO ENDANGER THE SAFETY OF ANY PERSON OR WITH A RECKLESS DISREGARD FOR THE SAFETY OF HUMAN LIFE, ANYONE ENGAGED IN THE AUTHORIZED OPERATION OF SUCH AIRCRAFT OR ANY AIR NAVIGATION FACILITY AIDING IN THE NAVIGATION OF ANY SUCH AIRCRAFT; (6)PERFORMS AN ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST OR INCAPACITATES ANY INDIVIDUAL ON ANY SUCH AIRCRAFT, SHALL BE FINED UNDER THIS TITLE OR IMPRISIONED NOT MORE THAN 20 YEARS OR BOTH.

I got mine from Ken Heron: Heron Aerial Photography T-shirts and Hats — Heron Aerial Photography

I have this T-shirt: Heron Aerial Photography T-shirts and Hats — Heron Aerial Photography
Ken+Heron+CODE+shirt+proof-2.jpg

I have been lucky so far and only flying for a few months. I have only encountered a few people or groups and ironically 2 of the 3 I knew from work (elementary school teacher) and the other one was an older gentleman who was walking his dog in the ruins of the abandoned seminary that I have been obsessively filming. The interesting news is we were probably both trespassing although the land seems to be somewhat taken back by the surrounding state park. Anyhow during our conversation I soon explained I was on a mission to film the entire property both from the air and the ground in order to document the remaining structures before there was nothing left of the site. This seems to greatly interest anyone I tell about it and comes off sounding like a bit of a public service project connected to the little known history of the area. I then share my Youtube Channel to make them feel connected to what I am doing. My plan going forward is to tell that to anyone who asks me what I am doing even when I am not filming the ruins themselves and am somewhere else entirely I am always "practicing" for my local history public service project (which is entirely true).

Perhaps pick the thing that you do with your drone that has the most positive impact on you and others, then make sure everyone you talk to has a chance to consider the "best" of what we do instead of whatever terrible things they are thinking of when they approach us. There are amazing things about any community or area that can only be seen from our drones and the more people come to appreciate the films and views we see perhaps the more they will soften to the idea of us serving our community.

-E Sloan

Yes and no. It might depend on your states laws. In NJ we have two different types of trespass. Having a sign posted does help convict in some cases. You can still be convicted of trespassing even if there's no signs posted. Too much legalese to post here.
No worries I understand

I don't fly my drone near airports, stadiums, or any of the federally prohibited areas. Everything else and anywhere else is open for me. If a plane can fly over your house so can I. P off.

It probably would be better if you always fly your drone in accordance with the FAA regulations. If you simply decide to make up your own rules then you will likely make a mistake that would attract the attention of the FAA and, in doing so, also tarnish the reputation of the recreational drone flying community.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569