DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harbor Freight $29 case

Yes I plan on still using my smaller cases if I go hiking or biking. ( Mp2 fly more on the way) But when I am driving to a spot to fly and that is most times the bigger case with both in it works for me. I know that if someone moves them ect that they will be safe.

Ed Ricker posted buying a similar hard cover case when he first got his MP1. Later in the year he came back that portability is the key and he ditched his larger hard cover case and went back to the smaller DJI MP1 soft cover case. That was always my thinking even when I first saw his hard case recommendation - I take mine biking and really want the portability. And I can get everything into the DJI soft case.

Yes I plan on still using my smaller cases if I go hiking or biking. ( Mp2 fly more on the way) But when I am driving to a spot to fly and that is most times the bigger case with both in it works for me. I know that if someone moves them ect that they will be safe.

I agree there's an argument for smaller cases. I am currently using a LowePro MicroTrekker for My M2P. I plan to use that for casual use as it's amazingly tiny and fits a lot of stuff. However I often ship my stuff ahead of me when I travel and want a hard case for times I want more protection. In fact the MicroTrekker is small enough I can collapse it down in the shipping box and load up just what I need (leaving chargers, etc. behind) on day trips out. (Still have a slot for a 4th battery whenever they are in stock).

IMG_1085.jpg

Since my local Sams Club is out of the 20" hard shell cases, I went to Harbor Freight to get an Apache case for some photography equipment. As it turns out, the HF Apache 4800 case for $54 is the EXACT same case as the $29 Sams Club case. Even with the $10 off coupon, I just paid $14 more plus tax at HF for the same case. Dang the bad luck! But the good news is that I've got my cameras protected now.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, lol!

$54 or $44 with coupon - 4800 Weatherproof Protective Case - X-Large

$29 - https://www.samsclub.com/sams/20in-protective-case-member-s-mark/prod21233244.ip

So if you are needing the larger Apache 4800 case for something and have a Sam's Club near by, you might want to check Sam's before heading to HF.

I'm not sure why you guys haven't considered the home depot brand tough style boxes. They stack, have multiple sizes and clamp together and you can even get a roller portion. Take a look here. It's only $29

RIDGID 22 in. Pro Organizer, Black-222571 - The Home Depot

Here is an example of this same case used with some kaizen foam. Not sure if this case would be too big for you guys but it's extremely well built.

27254653420_b7151683a5_b.jpg

Right now Home depot has sale if you buy all three together you get the organizer free. $106 after tax for all of this:

e9366b191a3b38c19084f78a454ff6ce.jpg

Reactions: Anndybo
I'm not sure why you guys haven't considered the home depot brand tough style boxes

Got the set. I use the bottom for my Dewalt power tools, middle for micro and mid sized FPV quad related things and top one for tools and misc items. Great set for sure.

Hey I’m considering a 1510 as another option. Can you post a pic of your stuff in it to get a sense of scale and capacity?

I just kinda threw stuff in there. What is in there is the mavic air and mavic 2 pro both with fly more combos. It’s a big heavy case for a drone but I got it for my camera lighting equipment

Attachments

• 9801C386-A5FD-4886-A115-9CB058F57533.jpeg
    9801C386-A5FD-4886-A115-9CB058F57533.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
I have the same 3800 case. I used the original high density foam that the MP came in including the batteries and have half to put the fly more small zip bag on the side. I lay my Ipad Air across the top. Everything fits nicely with room to spare. Love the two reinforced lock openings on this case for two TSA combo locks.

I would be OK with just a hard case that the fly more bag could fit in. Good for travel when needed.

I just outfitted my HF 4800 case this morning and I am really happy with it. I also have the bag that came with the fly more package, but I see a need still for a smaller hard case made for the Mavic 2 just for quick jaunts out to fly.IMG_0277.JPGIMG_0278.JPG

Is the plastidip essential?

No, but you'll find as you actually use the case, the cubes will start to separate and wear. I've used a lot of pick-and-pluck Pelican cases for photography over the last 30 years and until I discovered the Plasti-Dip trick we used to buy replacement foam every few years. The only downside to the HF cases is that they don't sell replacement foam (Pelican foam is ubiquitous and available in many variants as well as from third parties since the Pelican models are readily avilable). There may be a comparable Pelican case (dimensions-wise) but I haven't noticed an exact replacement.

Reactions: bapski
no, you should be fine without. It just helps keep foam elements together.
No, but you'll find as you actually use the case, the cubes will start to separate and wear. I've used a lot of pick-and-pluck Pelican cases for photography over the last 30 years and until I discovered the Plasti-Dip trick we used to buy replacement foam every few years. The only downside to the HF cases is that they don't sell replacement foam (Pelican foam is ubiquitous and available in many variants as well as from third parties since the Pelican models are readily avilable). There may be a comparable Pelican case (dimensions-wise) but I haven't noticed an exact replacement.

i probably would need it then if it means itll keep the foam together. i was kinda making sure i maximized the space so much so that i would leave only a line of foam in-between cut-outs so its not really "stable".

i was thinking of using a cardboard or anything probably thinner and glue it on the under-side of the foam, then just cut-out the areas that i plucked the foam out of. another thing i have thought of is a sticky material like probably something like this : 3M Ioban Incise Drapes: 3M Medical: 3M US | 3M United States (i know its meant for human skin but its something i have access to. lol.) that i will also put on the under-side of the foam and then cut-out the areas i have plucked foam out..

either way.. i think i need to do something.. your inputs to my ideas would be very much appreciated.

thanks again.

Grab a hot wire foam cutter off ebay. Not the hand held type but the the one with the work top. They are about $100. Trace out what you want. Cut. Test fit. 6 thin coates of black plasti dip to melt and hold the foam together and you are good to go. Will turn any cheap pick n pluck foam insert into a beast. I also had a old case with no foam that i wasnt using. Went down to my local foam shop and 7 bucks later i had some high density foam that was a lot more supportive than the pick n pluck. Holds heavier items great and once painted looks exactly the same.

Reactions: bapski
Hi Guys, It's been raining all day so I decided to build another storage unit using the HF 3800 case. Done all I could for the day. This time with one Mavic Pro and the new Mavic 2 Pro. I made another case a few years back for my 2 Mavics but it's for only the Mavic1. The only reason I wanted both on board, is until DJI put back some type of zoom, I will use the older Mavic for that. Last night, I heard fireworks outside, my Son told me it was 3 towns away and across the river. I told myself I'll never make it in time to to get some video before it's over. But I made a run out the front door and took up the new bird to see where it was coming from. And saw such detail I could not believe it. It really did put my first Mavic to shame. If I had my old Mavic up, I could have gotten a closer shot. It was the perfect firework in such detail and colors but it was the size of M&Ms candies. So here we go again.No need for space or cutout for chargers. Because they are both under the lid. The final top will be put on once all the parts have seated overnight to set. This built cost is about $3 in parts and 2 hours of work for the bottom half. It takes much longer doing something for scratch because of sizing and placement. it's all about the planning and placement for weight for balance. Not really much space to work with when you trying to fit two Mavics! I Had the HF 4800 cases in my hand a few weeks back. But put it back right away. Too big, even for 2 birds I think. But, 2 birds and the DJI goggles! that would be perfect. the lid is deep enough to amp or storage. screens removable or mounted. That might be my Fall/winter project.
So Guys, Let me know what you think of the placements of parts on this case. Would you do it differently? If someone has done the same built with 2 Mavic using the 3800. I love to see it. The only thing that cannot change places are the batteries. I am always looking for new ideas or a better way. And always trying for the smaller footprint.

Happy & Safe Flying

Attachments

• cases2.jpg
    cases2.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 75
  • cases1.jpg
    cases1.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Grab a hot wire foam cutter off ebay. Not the hand held type but the the one with the work top. They are about $100. Trace out what you want. Cut. Test fit. 6 thin coates of black plasti dip to melt and hold the foam together and you are good to go. Will turn any cheap pick n pluck foam insert into a beast. I also had a old case with no foam that i wasnt using. Went down to my local foam shop and 7 bucks later i had some high density foam that was a lot more supportive than the pick n pluck. Holds heavier items great and once painted looks exactly the same.
GREAT IDEA! you just reminded me i have one of that HOT WIRE thingy that i used when i helped my son do his project... but i think im past that now isn't it since ive plucked out the foams already?

View attachment 45644 View attachment 45645

I did the same thing some time ago. I coated the foam with about two cans of black PlastiDip. The more you use the stronger the coating. You can use foam-safe glue to replace or repair pieces of foam as needed.

I have several of the Harbor Freight cases of different sizes for different things (see pics). I only buy the cases using the 20% and 25% off coupons Harbor Freight sends out a few times a year.

They are really good cases.

I used a good deal of Plasti Dip as well. I do have one question about it though that you may be able to answer. Does it scratch the paint of the drone or equipment? It does seem a little rough. Thanks a million and great job!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet