DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harbor Freight $29 case

Just saw. I am looking at it right now. the 3M 90 green can right? the other is black and red have both of them. Great minds think alike. I don't want to talk to you anymore! you have a CNC. I do pretty much everything fairly well I think. Have not tried welding. And yet I have a welder. I know if I got into it, my home would look like a junkyard. A neighbor down the street, who is a hobby welder reminds me each time I drive by. I think it would be the same for me with a CNC OR Hell A 3d Printer. I don't even look at them. I want one for sure. Only when it is as smart as the Mavic and I can gesture it it what I want it to do! So there!.

I was talking with a friend tonight that has a scroll saw. That might work pretty well. I will have to try it when I can get a chance to go over to his place. Thanks for the good information guys.

Yea, I actually used the Loctite equivalent because I have it but having used both in other scenarios they seem pretty much like the same thing. You just need to apply a bit of pressure as you layer each to make sure the texture "squishes" and the layers make good contact. But once together I couldn't tear them apart without tearing the foam.
ZAP A GAP?

I was talking with a friend tonight that has a scroll saw. That might work pretty well. I will have to try it when I can get a chance to go over to his place. Thanks for the good information guys.
Thumbswayup LAST FLIGHT OF THE NIGHT. Cloudy but no rain. I LOVE THE HELL OUT OF THIS NEW LEN IN THE DARK. Till we meet again.
Happy and Safe Flying TO ALL!

Reactions: wsettle
Just saw. I am looking at it right now. the 3M 90 green can right? the other is black and red have both of them. Great minds think alike. I don't want to talk to you anymore! you have a CNC. I do pretty much everything fairly well I think. Have not tried welding. And yet I have a welder. I know if I got into it, my home would look like a junkyard. A neighbor down the street, who is a hobby welder reminds me each time I drive by. I think it would be the same for me with a CNC OR **** A 3d Printer. I don't even look at them. I want one for sure. Only when it is as smart as the Mavic and I can gesture it it what I want it to do! So there!.

Yes, the green can.

Well, not my CNC. I borrowed one that a friend uses to mill brass coins for his kids school awards and the like. Unfortunately it only has about a 12" wide bed and for the 3800 case for my Mavic Air I had to mill each layer (5 total) twice, first doing the openings on one end and then the other end, rotating the foam 180 degrees. The three bottom layers were identical and the top two as some openings went all the way through all five (like for the batteries and chargers and stuff) but the air fit in the bottom and then the CrystalSky 7.8" fit in an opening straddling the drone. It took about 6 hours to mill everything.

Fortunately I do 3D print (I designed the mount below to hold my CrystalSky using the CS mount for Phantom, since it is the best quick release system I've seen) and was able to model the whole thing for placement and overlap and generate the cutting paths pretty easily.

Unlike Inspire and Phantom, I haven't seen anyone address using a full-sized 7.8" CrystalSky with a Mavic (any Mavic) with an accommodating case. Which is why i made my own. I'm considering getting the larger Apache case for my new M2P since getting the CS in with the Air and still having everything be well protected and snugged in was a challenge with the 3800. I missed last week's 25% coupon but there's a 20% coupon this weekend, so I may just buy it, even though I'm not quite sure how I'm going to cut the foam since I definitely can't use my friend's CNC at this size. If anyone near LA knows of a makerspace or something where I can get use of an X-Carve I'd be appreciative. Inventibles lists public access places for their CNC machines, but all the ones around me are high schools or trade schools and so not really public. A bunch of makerspaces near SF but none near me in West LA.

It's gonna cost me, but I may consider caseclub.com. They seem knowledgeable and helpful. I contacted them as well as mycasebuilder.com but mycasebuilder wasn't very helpful (wouldn't work with my dxf files) and kept telling me over and over that they had Mavic (Pro) cases when I was needing a case for a Mavic Air AND a CrystalSky (I tried to dumb it down but they didn't want to accept that the stuff they already had wasn't what I was after HENCE why I was asking about making a custom case).

I know, I know. TL;DR: Yes green can. Not my CNC. Don't have one big enough for the 4800 case so looking for a solution.

ZP%2BDbtyQQE2j5VDtIPkTFQ.jpg

ZAP A GAP?
No spray contact adhesive. The ZAP A GAP I'm familiar with is thick CA glue. Maybe they have other types now (sort of like how Gorilla Glue was just foaming polyurethane and now they have everything from epoxy to CA under their Gorilla brand).

Yes, the green can.

Well, not my CNC. I borrowed one that a friend uses to mill brass coins for his kids school awards and the like. Unfortunately it only has about a 12" wide bed and for the 3800 case for my Mavic Air I had to mill each layer (5 total) twice, first doing the openings on one end and then the other end, rotating the foam 180 degrees. The three bottom layers were identical and the top two as some openings went all the way through all five (like for the batteries and chargers and stuff) but the air fit in the bottom and then the CrystalSky 7.8" fit in an opening straddling the drone. It took about 6 hours to mill everything.

Fortunately I do 3D print (I designed the mount below to hold my CrystalSky using the CS mount for Phantom, since it is the best quick release system I've seen) and was able to model the whole thing for placement and overlap and generate the cutting paths pretty easily.

Unlike Inspire and Phantom, I haven't seen anyone address using a full-sized 7.8" CrystalSky with a Mavic (any Mavic) with an accommodating case. Which is why i made my own. I'm considering getting the larger Apache case for my new M2P since getting the CS in with the Air and still having everything be well protected and snugged in was a challenge with the 3800. I missed last week's 25% coupon but there's a 20% coupon this weekend, so I may just buy it, even though I'm not quite sure how I'm going to cut the foam since I definitely can't use my friend's CNC at this size. If anyone near LA knows of a makerspace or something where I can get use of an X-Carve I'd be appreciative. Inventibles lists public access places for their CNC machines, but all the ones around me are high schools or trade schools and so not really public. A bunch of makerspaces near SF but none near me in West LA.

It's gonna cost me, but I may consider caseclub.com. They seem knowledgeable and helpful. I contacted them as well as mycasebuilder.com but mycasebuilder wasn't very helpful (wouldn't work with my dxf files) and kept telling me over and over that they had Mavic (Pro) cases when I was needing a case for a Mavic Air AND a CrystalSky (I tried to dumb it down but they didn't want to accept that the stuff they already had wasn't what I was after HENCE why I was asking about making a custom case).

I know, I know. TL;DR: Yes green can. Not my CNC. Don't have one big enough for the 4800 case so looking for a solution.

ZP%2BDbtyQQE2j5VDtIPkTFQ.jpg

Just got a little airtime was great as always. I just hate to have to pay someone for something that I willing to do myself. Next sale an HF. I am getting their new big 4800. that is a big boy. But it's half of the weight of my pelican case. I will amp this one with both storages for one Mavic Pro and one Mavic 2 Pro and the white goggles and try to keep it light as possible. Let me know what you come up with. I need to finish my lunch box case first. I like what the Cystalsky does in the sun. But there is just too much weight for me or my preference. I have most if not all the stuff. But I prefer to fly daytime from my car. no need to deal with heat, sun shades, bugs, And bad people who don't like drone because of paranoia. I prefer to bypass all of that and go straight to FUN. By the way, did you print up that mounting base plate for the controller? Good job if you did. Thumbswayup

Just got a little airtime was great as always. I just hate to have to pay someone for something that I willing to do myself. Next sale an HF. I am getting their new big 4800. that is a big boy. But it's half of the weight of my pelican case. I will amp this one with both storages for one Mavic Pro and one Mavic 2 Pro and the white goggles and try to keep it light as possible. Let me know what you come up with. I need to finish my lunch box case first. I like what the Cystalsky does in the sun. But there is just too much weight for me or my preference. I have most if not all the stuff. But I prefer to fly daytime from my car. no need to deal with heat, sun shades, bugs, And bad people who don't like drone because of paranoia. I prefer to bypass all of that and go straight to FUN. By the way, did you print up that mounting base plate for the controller? Good job if you did. Thumbswayup

Yea. I designed it to work with the Phantom CS Mount because the quick release is brilliant. Also I went through dozens of prototypes to get the balance right. IMHO it’s way more comfortable and less awkward than an iPad mini in the stock location. But yes, it’s heavier. The mount gives a lanyard loop though if you’re into that.

I’m working on another design to use PolarPro‘s cellphone mount that clips not the back of the phone with a custom adapter for the same DJI mount. It will be more heads up but I’m not sure if I’ll like it better. In either case it’s more comfortable to me than looking down below the RC. Plus once I got the CS (and I got it here used so a good price) I could never go back. I’m using my iPad mini right now while I wait for the M2 firmware and can honestly say it sucks. But again that’s just me.

But that’s the great thing about making exactly what you want. Whether it’s a case or a mount or anything else, it’s fun to turn your ideas into real usable stuff that, for your needs, works better than anything you could buy. It may not be for everyone, but I like designing and building stuff as much as using it.

A $200 3D printed has paid for itself countless times in the little parts and doodads I’ve needed both for hobbybstuff as well as appliance and other parts. And these mounts cost about 30 cents in material so it’s fun to prototype whenever I get a new idea and the time to design it.

Yea. I designed it to work with the Phantom CS Mount because the quick release is brilliant. Also I went through dozens of prototypes to get the balance right. IMHO it’s way more comfortable and less awkward than an iPad mini in the stock location. But yes, it’s heavier. The mount gives a lanyard loop though if you’re into that.

I’m working on another design to use PolarPro‘s cellphone mount that clips not the back of the phone with a custom adapter for the same DJI mount. It will be more heads up but I’m not sure if I’ll like it better. In either case it’s more comfortable to me than looking down below the RC. Plus once I got the CS (and I got it here used so a good price) I could never go back. I’m using my iPad mini right now while I wait for the M2 firmware and can honestly say it sucks. But again that’s just me.

But that’s the great thing about making exactly what you want. Whether it’s a case or a mount or anything else, it’s fun to turn your ideas into real usable stuff that, for your needs, works better than anything you could buy. It may not be for everyone, but I like designing and building stuff as much as using it.

A $200 3D printed has paid for itself countless times in the little parts and doodads I’ve needed both for hobbybstuff as well as appliance and other parts. And these mounts cost about 30 cents in material so it’s fun to prototype whenever I get a new idea and the time to design it.

Looks great. Look like you took your time on it. Well worth the time.

Dam you Guy, Why did you have to go there? Now you had me dreaming about 3D printers all night! O, all those colors reels hanging like Kaleidoscope! First thought when I woke up. Thanks a lot, Really in my head I would hate it. I am, a want it now kind of guy. I think would kill me to have to wait for something to be finished. I would probably try to help it along with a blow torch or mod it to go faster. And it would come out like wheat thins But Dam you anyway. So there. Back to$29 cases.BUT> HAS ANYONE OUT THERE EVER TRIED TO 3D PRINT A REAL CUSTOM MAVIC CASE? I CAN SEE IT NOW. COLOR CODED INSERTS FOR EACH PART. And all you have to do is line the insides of the opening for said parts. If someone has please show photos. That might kick me over. I wait weeks for parts anyway. O my God, you see what you did? I got to get out the hell of here. Before I start looking for the 3d printer forum. Thanks Again:mad:

906FF45B-CB77-40FA-A90D-88AE5BE8B530.jpeg 386289DD-BAC4-4EF1-B9CA-DA954C523060.jpeg
Nothing else available so picked it yesterday from my local store. Apache 3800 case
View attachment 45185

I did the same thing some time ago. I coated the foam with about two cans of black PlastiDip. The more you use the stronger the coating. You can use foam-safe glue to replace or repair pieces of foam as needed.

I have several of the Harbor Freight cases of different sizes for different things (see pics). I only buy the cases using the 20% and 25% off coupons Harbor Freight sends out a few times a year.

They are really good cases.

Worth noting. Monoprice.com (Hard Cases - Monoprice.com) has some really nice cases as well. I purchased a gun case from them (pick-and-pluck and then did the Plasti-Dip thing) and it's really nice. Not quite Pelican quality, but a fraction of the price. I would consider them a bit nicer than Harbor Freight but a little more expensive but more sizes and styles to choose from.

One thing about Plasti-Dip over pick-and-pluck: in a small case it doesn't really matter, but the Plasti-Dip will shrink your foam a bit as it dries. The foam in my 48" gun case shrunk a full 1-1/2" over its length (maybe 3/8" across the short dimension). Of course, I 3D printed a few little accessory/tool compartments to fit in the end to make up the difference.

I love casing my stuff.

Dam you Guy, Why did you have to go there? Now you had me dreaming about 3D printers all night! O, all those colors reels hanging like Kaleidoscope! First thought when I woke up. Thanks a lot, Really in my head I would hate it. I am, a want it now kind of guy. I think would kill me to have to wait for something to be finished. I would probably try to help it along with a blow torch or mod it to go faster. And it would come out like wheat thins But Dam you anyway. So there. Back to$29 cases.BUT> HAS ANYONE OUT THERE EVER TRIED TO 3D PRINT A REAL CUSTOM MAVIC CASE? I CAN SEE IT NOW. COLOR CODED INSERTS FOR EACH PART. And all you have to do is line the insides of the opening for said parts. If someone has please show photos. That might kick me over. I wait weeks for parts anyway. O my God, you see what you did? I got to get out the **** of here. Before I start looking for the 3d printer forum. Thanks Again:mad:

Yea, patience is important to get good looking prints. I usually end up printing several (sometimes MANY, I think for that mounting plate I must've made 20 prototypes or partial prototypes) at high speed and low resolution and then work on getting the best print I can once the design is finalized. The final CrystalSky mount probably took 12-16 hours to print.

It would take some serious industrial printer to print a case worth the effort. Most material that hobby printers can print just isn't strong enough and can warp over large areas. However I have printed inserts for some Pelican cases that turned out really nice. Here's one for my Tello that's kinda meh that was fun to make but maybe not really necessary and way overkill use for the Pelican case (but it was free, so there's that).

IMG_1083.jpg

And this one came out great for my survival kit. I've found that truck bed spray (in the can from Home Depot) makes a great durable textured finish on the printed plastic and sort of hides the "3D-printed" look.

3B82F730-D437-4049-8CC8-D0D18E829C94.jpg

F312202E-3709-4316-A181-612E2DB43E97.jpeg Just bought one from my local Harbor Freight as well. They took the coupon code without issue. Damned nice case for $30!!! (Well, $32 and change with tax) Thanks for the heads up on this one, Anndybo!

Reactions: Anndybo
Long shot, but does anyone have a 4800 case (not the $29 3800) that they could measure the thickness of the pick-and-pluck (not including the lowest solid base layer) as well as the depth of the lid? I'm modeling my layout in 3D and I have a 3800 but not a 4800 and want to compare layouts before I buy.

I may just run over to HF and pick it up and return it (or find another use) if I decide to go another direction. But if someone has the dimensions (HF just publishes the overall inside dimensions) that would be a great help and shortcut just to get a feel for what I need.

Thanks,

Steve

Ed Ricker posted buying a similar hard cover case when he first got his MP1. Later in the year he came back that portability is the key and he ditched his larger hard cover case and went back to the smaller DJI MP1 soft cover case. That was always my thinking even when I first saw his hard case recommendation - I take mine biking and really want the portability. And I can get everything into the DJI soft case.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming