DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harvesting soybeans in Iowa

I grew up in Fort Dodge - not far from this farm, I'd think.
Now I live in Ohio - and just this week made a Mavic Pro video of our soybean harvest:

In retrospect, I should not have flown directly over the combines.

Reactions: Lowell Crabb
I grew up in Fort Dodge - not far from this farm, I'd think.
Now I live in Ohio - and just this week made a Mavic Pro video of our soybean harvest:

In retrospect, I should not have flown directly over the combines.
If you had permission to fly around this group then yes, I would have gotten much lower and closer. You still want the high, wide shots in the begining though (IMHO). I wonder if you have experimented with the f-stop setting. There was too much darkening. Thanks for sharing.

The weather has been wet for so long this fall that we were wondering if this would ever happen. This is a good way to practice flying my MP. Winds were light and a perfect day to observe the simple complexities of harvest.
I live in Dubuque, Iowa and our fields are still very wet. I love your video. If I see corn or soy harvesting I think I'll pull over and try those shots. Very nice!

I live in Dubuque, Iowa and our fields are still very wet. I love your video. If I see corn or soy harvesting I think I'll pull over and try those shots. Very nice!
Thank you. I found that it takes practice to coordinate propper movements as well as speed of motion. Tripod mode might be good for still subjects but I doubt that it would work here.

The weather has been wet for so long this fall that we were wondering if this would ever happen. This is a good way to practice flying my MP. Winds were light and a perfect day to observe the simple complexities of harvest.
Nice job. I did a series of harvesting flights like these on a vacation home in Wisconsin a few years ago. They make really nice subjects.

I'm hoping the yield this year for soybeans was good all things considered with being so wet earlier in the year?

It's amazing to watch how precise the farmer pulling the wagon has to be. Too far to the left and the tractor tire will hit the combine's header, too far to the right and all the soybeans get dumped on the ground.

And it also makes you appreciate the equipment being used and how efficient it is now. My dad would tell me how back in 60s he had a 2 row combine and it would take so long to harvest. Nowadays harvesting is faster than ever.

Think how they did this "harvest" in the 1860's... with oxen or horses row by row... Technology is GRAND!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu