DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anybody ever flown in a national park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Complacency is never the answer. It's extremely similar to saying, "who cares if the government monitors our web activity, just don't do anything illegal so you don't have anything to hide".

That’s a terrible analogy. The government isn’t intruding or monitoring anything in this instance. They’re just trying to keep UAV pilots from intruding on other’s enjoyment. It’s not about complacency for having YOUR rights violated.

That’s a terrible analogy. The government isn’t intruding or monitoring anything in this instance. They’re just trying to keep UAV pilots from intruding on other’s enjoyment. It’s not about complacency for having YOUR rights violated.
I'm screenshotting this message so when the FAA inevitably bans drones nationwide I can send it back to you and ask the question "do you still feel this way".

Drones are getting increasingly popular. This is merely the beginning of an entirely new era where 5 year olds will be getting drones as birthday presents.

Pretty soon you won't be able to fly anywhere.

I feel like a good solution is to allow people to fly in more areas like NPs, but only if you have your part 107. If you get caught without a license then you get fined.

If flying in National Parks were a safety issue then I could understand why they would ban them, but we all know the real reason they were banned was because of the noise.

Reactions: Imtnbike
I'm screenshotting this message so when the FAA inevitably bans drones nationwide I can send it back to you and ask the question "do you still feel this way".
Congress has currently made it impossible for the FAA to ban drones. Also, it won't ever come to that anyway. You will be waiting quite awhile. Also, the FAA has _nothing_ to do with the ban in National Parks anyway. So 1) the FAA has nothing do do with this ban and 2) it has nothing to do with this thread.

Congress has currently made it impossible for the FAA to ban drones. Also, it won't ever come to that anyway. You will be waiting quite awhile. Also, the FAA has _nothing_ to do with the ban in National Parks anyway. So 1) the FAA has nothing do do with this ban and 2) it has nothing to do with this thread.
I didn't say that the FAA banned drones in national parks... I was implying that at this rate there will be nowhere to fly and your drone will be as good as a paper weight.

It honestly shocks me how people can't seem to see the issue in the thought process that went into banning drones from NP's. " uh oh some moron flew their drone into a geyser, only solution is to ban drones all together I guess".

There is no excuse for laziness. I created this thread because I was curious as to why drones would be restricted in an area where if anything they should be allowed. So far I am surprised by some people acceptance of this outrageous ban.

I didn't say that the FAA banned drones in national parks... I was implying that at this rate there will be nowhere to fly and your drone will be as good as a paper weight.

It honestly shocks me how people can't seem to see the issue in the thought process that went into banning drones from NP's. " uh oh some moron flew their drone into a geyser, only solution is to ban drones all together I guess".

There is no excuse for laziness. I created this thread because I was curious as to why drones would be restricted in an area where if anything they should be allowed. So far I am surprised by some people acceptance of this outrageous ban.

That incident may have been one of the triggers, but it was not the sole motivation. The prospect of large numbers and a high density of consumer UAVs flying around the popular tourist areas was a major factor.

As for some people accepting it - firstly, while you may regard it as outrageous, many others don't, and I'm sure that if there were a poll on the issue that the general public would vote for it. And there are other activities restricted on NPS land - are those bans also outrageous in your view?

Reactions: Imtnbike
I created this thread because I was curious as to why drones would be restricted in an area where if anything they should be allowed. So far I am surprised by some people acceptance of this outrageous ban.

And many of us are equally surprised that you think it would be a good idea to let a bunch of people fly their quads around crowded national parks.

Exactly! While your at it, ban screaming kids - they are much louder than drones at any altitude!
I promised my kids if they screamed out in public they would be sold to Indonesia to make Nike shoes

It was my impression that you were “commercial” as opposed to “us strictly hobby guys”? I’d argue the opposite to what you implied. That there is no train heading our (“strictly hobby guys”) way. Instead that there was already a train in your way as a so-called commercial professional. Because it’s an already saturated area and practically anyone with two thumbs and a couple grand can do it. I’d also question why I’m (as a “strictly hobby guy”) able and willing to venture to places not restricted in order to obtain footage nobody else has, yet you are not. But instead would rather use a single highly populated state on the East coast as an example of your frustration in regard to obtaining footage in national parks, of which everyone else has already seen whether it be from the ground, professional photography, and sanctioned video. Honestly, if you’re truly a commercial whatever, I think you live in the wrong part of the country. That being said, I live near numerous national parks, national momuments, and wildlife refuge yet I don’t see the need to fly in any of them. However in your case living in such areas with your stance may just cause further duress?
Several points I take issue with. First I am not commercial, as opposed to hobby. I am both.

Second, most of my commercial work had nothing to do with National Parks or even wilderness, so from that aspect I couldn’t care less. I merely speak on behalf of those who can’t get permission to fly in areas I sometimes can.

Third, Part 107 is law and is not going away. We will be able to do our jobs, albeit with restrictions, for a long time to come. My concern is that Congress is taking a long hard look at a variety of measures, making it more likely that the hobby side of our pastime is going to soon become a lot more difficult to enjoy freely.

And lastly, this is a beautiful part of the country to live in, and the western part of my state is not the least bit overpopulated. (edit) Other than private lands, we have a lot of acreage managed by the state and federal government, and it is a shame that it is a crime for me or you to take a picture of it from a few feet off the ground, whether we are commercial or hobby.

Last edited:
Several points I take issue with. First I am not commercial, as opposed to hobby. I am both.
Second, most of my commercial work had nothing to do with National Parks or even wilderness, so from that aspect I couldn’t care less. I merely speak on behalf of those who can’t get permission to fly in areas I sometimes can.
Third, Part 107 is law and is not going away. We will be able to do our jobs, albeit with restrictions, for a long time to come. My concern is that Congress is taking a long hard look at a variety of measures, making it more likely that the hobby side of our pastime is going to soon become a lot more difficult to enjoy freely.
And lastly, this is a beautiful part of the country to live in and the western part of my state is not the least bit overpopulated. We just have a lot of acreage managed by the state and federal government, and it is a shame that it is a crime for me or you to take a picture of it from a few feet off the ground, whether we are commercial or hobby.

I must’ve misunderstood you as it seemed like you implied that your commercial work had been somewhat compromised by the ban. However I can hardly take your word for it when you’re now implying that you somehow have access to restricted areas (in regard to this discussion, natural land) that others do not, private land being the exception. Seems more red herring and paranoid anecdotal experience rather than meritable talking points on NP regulations. I won’t debate that NC is beautiful bc I am in agreement on that. However, again I will state that your examples are minuscule compared to the amount of scenic land you have access to. I don’t know how that is even debatable other than speculating that the government overreaches further regulation. In that case the sole purpose would be due the rise in drone usage accordingly. A similar reason for banning them from sensitive environments and where large amounts of people travel thousands of miles seeking solitude and obtaining whatever experience of the protected wild that remains. You simply can’t bank on the general drone enthusiasts to act on good faith flying in these areas. The idea of it in itself is absolutely naive, selfish, and without evidence. You can not sit there and claim that these activities have no impact on wildlife when they’ve been proven time and time again that they do and have the potential to do so. You can not claim that they have less impact than other activities such as snowmobiling or motorcycling when the ease of access is obtainable by a 6 year old. You can not sit there and claim that this does not bother people or that it bothers people less or more than other activities when the majority of people have spoken and continue to speak out against it. Agree to disagree in the end. I also have plenty of access to areas others do not, however in doing so I understand why they are protected and I quickly have compassion for the opposite side of the debate. As a logical person and environmentalist, when flying over a herd of 60 elk I cannot honestly tell myself that other drone operators would not descend to attempt to capture the moment, subsequently causing a stampede. Absolutely not.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
Except that they HAVE frightened animals, they HAVE started fires and people DO object to the sound, especially in crowded national parks.
So have dozens of other things currently and regularly allowed. So, based on this fact, anyone using this as the "reason" are being disingenuous at best. Unless you are also willing to ban Harley Davidsons, snowmobiles, autos and busses, screaming kids and yes official use of drones themselves, I don't see how you can still use these as legitimate reasons.

Last edited:
I must’ve misunderstood you as it seemed like you implied that your commercial work had been somewhat compromised by the ban. However I can hardly take your word for it when you’re now implying that you somehow have access to restricted areas (in regard to this discussion, natural land) that others do not, private land being the exception.
I am not implying that as a hobbyist I have some advantage over anyone else with regard to operating within a NP. I do not. I simply meant that, I as a certified commercial operator, I would have a better chance operating commercially with "permission" within a NP. The "strictly hobbyist" wouldn't stand a chance of getting "permission"

As a hobbyist, I have no advantage whatsoever over anyone else. That is why I advocate for the hobbyist, who might not have the resources to travel and locate those unrestricted, undeveloped locations you seem to have in abundance.

Whichever moderator has that dead horse animated GIF, now would be a good time to employ it.
It would be nice if just once all sides of these debates could be heard instead of some juvenile GIF Posted and the thread locked. Let conversations between adults continue. Maybe people on both sides will learn something.

As a hobbyist, I have no advantage whatsoever over anyone else. That is why I advocate for the hobbyist, who might not have the resources to travel and locate those unrestricted, undeveloped locations you seem to have in abundance.

Was kind of my point a couple posts ago. You don’t need resources. Those places are literally everywhere across the country and are waiting for those who are willing. If one can’t afford gas or a plane ticket then I’d say it’s safe to assume they shouldn’t pick up an expensive hobby and plan trips to National Parks across the country. Much less debate restrictions that don’t directly affect them.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
It would be nice if just once all sides of these debates could be heard instead of some juvenile GIF Posted and the thread locked. Let conversations between adults continue. Maybe people on both sides will learn something.
Of course both sides have been debated throughly for 15 pages...

I agree, except for the most part this thread was never a conversation - it was opposing monologues. And once those had been repeated numerous times, it became completely pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird