DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone recently done insurance through State Farm?

Clare_G101

Reactions
I am going away on a trip, and I will be flying over water with my drone, and just in case it falls or something happens, I want to be covered, so I am thinking of getting the State Farm Insurance. Has anyone done this recently in PA? Or anywhere at least and can help me through what to say and things to avoid saying? I've heard some people say to NOT mention the word drone and use quad-copter, but then I've heard other things as well, so any tips?

Check out this discussion on reddit.
I know, but I mean recently, because I have heard now that more agents are more aware of it, some people have said not to use certain words or to say certain things that might help them understand, I just want to know recent experiences that have happened

I know, but I mean recently, because I have heard now that more agents are more aware of it, some people have said not to use certain words or to say certain things that might help them understand, I just want to know recent experiences that have happened

Yes I received my mavic this past Monday and same day I set up insurance through SF in NJ. Was pretty easy, I accessed some google document that I found on this site that had a list, state by state, of individual agents people have had success setting up insurance through.

The only thing I'd say is when you call state you want to set us a personal article protection policy. Once you've said that you can tell them it's for a drone. Pretty simple just call a couple different agents if you get one that says no.

EDIT: I found the link to the article where you can find the google document with all of the agents -

Gotten insurance with State Farm? If so please read!

Last edited:
Yes I received my mavic this past Monday and same day I set up insurance through SF in NJ. Was pretty easy, I accessed some google document that I found on this site that had a list, state by state, of individual agents people have had success setting up insurance through.

The only thing I'd say is when you call state you want to set us a personal article protection policy. Once you've said that you can tell them it's for a drone. Pretty simple just call a couple different agents if you get one that says no.

EDIT: I found the link to the article where you can find the google document with all of the agents -

are you over 18? Or can you do it if you are under? I am 16 years old, so would I be able to do it? Or would my mom have to do it for me

Probably have to have your mom do it I am in Michigan I called State Farm in my area and they wouldn't do it I called the person on the last and was set up in 15 mins and covered

I'm located in Texas, I called on Friday and set up a policy within minutes. I mentioned right off the bat that I was wanting to insure a drone and the lady had no problem with it. I was able to email her all the info and paid over the phone.

Check out this discussion on reddit.

I called my local agent. (who I used to insure with but I shop around) They told me they don't insure drones unless I have another policy with them. They said they called corporate and were told this. Are you saying they are lying to me?

are you over 18? Or can you do it if you are under? I am 16 years old, so would I be able to do it? Or would my mom have to do it for me

I'm 24 so I had no issues doing it. I would sau you should have your mom give them a call. It's a pretty straightforward process, name, DOB, address and also send them a pic of the receipt of purchase and a pic of the box the mavic came in on the bottom where the Serial number is.
Pretty easy and done in 15 mins!

I called my local agent. (who I used to insure with but I shop around) They told me they don't insure drones unless I have another policy with them. They said they called corporate and were told this. Are you saying they are lying to me?

I called my local State Farm and they told me the same thing. There is a list floating around on here that has agents in all different states. Called the agent on the list all the way on the other side of the state and had the ins in mins.

I called my local State Farm and they told me the same thing. There is a list floating around on here that has agents in all different states. Called the agent on the list all the way on the other side of the state and had the ins in mins.

Thank you. Will do!

Are you saying they are lying to me?
I would like to think they are not lying to you. Different agents seems to provide different services for some reason.

Reactions: Mjonesy758
All they have to do is check with the underwriter! I have SF for auto,renters,term life and an umbrella policy for $1M.. Just to keep the premium lower. All that for $190/month. But, back to the drone. They need the s/n from the drone and the receipt showing how much you paid for it.. and no commercial use. The umbrella policy will cover damages and such to property and persons.

Has anyone checked their HO policy to see if your already covered?
2 years ago On my P3P I got the 3 year sq trade for $270 Turns out I haven't needed it,but I'm more comfortable with it.
Now I'm going for the mavic so I looked into other options State farm keeps coming up.In the last month I switched out of SF and went to Amica.I just called them(Amica) and they said since its only $1300 it's already covered for theft loss damage .Can that be right?If so :D:D:D

I checked mine Farm Bureau in Michigan and mine wasn't covered they said a year or two they would but not right now that's why I went to State Farm

Call the SF number on the list in SE Michigan. Mandee took care of me in less than an hour. Thanks for the great info! [emoji1303]

Reactions: Mjonesy758
Just did this week with State Farm! All they wanted was proof of purchase and serial numbers of everything I wanted insured. I sent in information on my drone, batteries, case, etc.. My agent told me I could insure up to $3,000 worth of items for $60 a year. I've also got DJI Refresh and I carry $1M in liability as I do part 107 operations as well. I feel covered now! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000