DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has DJI completely abandoned Mavic pro owners?

Brad de Leon

Reactions
It's been a long time since I have seen any firmware updates. If I think real hard, it had to be before the 2 release. Since these updates also included fixes and security (virus) protection, are we left totally exposed. Seems an irresponsible way to push us to upgrade.
Any news on this, wouldn't mine some firmware functional enhancements as well?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Pretty sure they haven’t abandoned the Mavic1. If you’re on the latest firmware that’s probably as good as it gets at this time. They are probably turning their R and D attention to newer models indeed, but If they have anything important to add I’m sure they will.

i like the fact that you dont have to keep updating with the MPP they seem to have found the sweet spot with the firmware so why change what aint broken.

Since these updates also included fixes and security (virus) protection, are we left totally exposed
Are you saying the current firmware is exposing you to something undesirable? If so, tell us more about that.

i like the fact that you dont have to keep updating with the MPP they seem to have found the sweet spot with the firmware so why change what aint broken.
I agree. I think they have got to a point where all the features are fully enabled as much as they ever will be and all the bugs have been fixed to the best of DJ i's ability.

It's been a long time since I have seen any firmware updates. If I think real hard, it had to be before the 2 release. Since these updates also included fixes and security (virus) protection, are we left totally exposed. Seems an irresponsible way to push us to upgrade.
I know what you mean in terms of DJI asistant 2, that there will be no more updates for the mavic pro. They are focusing all their attention on the mavic 2 now and in the future.

I asked if they still have MP1 alpine white in stock somewhere, to replaced the one I lost, they basically said MP1 is end of production life. Not sure if it means they've stopped making them. They are focusing on current and future products. I am sure DJI would still have MP1s in stock, for replacements and warranty. Probably until the last MP1 is sold and the Care Refresh runs out.
Unless there's a serious bug in MP1 firmware, I don't think they'll be updating the firmware. They are not obligated to incorporate any software features in M2 into MP1.

Most firmware updates are to fix issues that are detected after product release and only occasionally to add features where this is technically possible.
Eventually technology overtakes older models and new features in later models just aren't able to be added to older models without the hardware required.
It's unrealistic to expect updates to keep coming and the lack of recent updates just indicates the product is mature.
What other product gets updates for years after manufacture?

ps .. firmware updates have never included virus protection.

I was surprised too when DJI said that the firmware would not be updated any more.

There are plenty of products that get updates many years after manufacture. Examples are Microsoft Windows, who support their operating systems for 10 or more years, and continue to improve them until they are no longer supported.

Automobile manufacturers offer recalls on most any car made in the past couple of decades, to improve safety or performance.

In regards to DJI, there are still bugs in the firmware, but they will probably never be resolved. DJI had chosen to move on and dedicate their engineers to the new line of drones.

I would have to agree. My MPP flies great and although the software isn't perfect I'm quite happy with it the way it is now. Lets remember that DJI does not have a good track record when it comes to fixing bugs without creating more problems. So at some point it's better to call it a day and be happy with what is presently working.

I just did a download yesterday.

Zo ook met Mavic Air. Er was een firmware update voor de Mavics 2 Pro en Zoom wat betreft Waypoints. MA werd ook vergeten. Weet iemand hier meer over?? Komt deze update nog?

Yeah, as a computer guy, what I've discovered is that very few updates fix more than they mess up. And we hear about firmware updates gone awry over and over on this forum. It will be just fine with me if they leave my Pro 1 alone. It's working just fine, and if I do an update, there's a fair chance it won't.

Think I'm kidding? Android 8 messed up several features on my Motorola phone and, to my knowledge, didn't improve anything.

By the way, DJI, feel free to stop adding NFZ's anytime you want as well. :)

Pejebe55 you asked "This is also the case with Mavic Air. There was a firmware update for the Mavics 2 Pro and Zoom regarding Waypoints. MA was also forgotten. Does anyone know more about this?? Is this update coming?". AS far as I know there will be no update of DJIGO4 with waypoints. You will have to fly the mission first to create an autominous mission. I use Litchi Mission Hub with the Litchi app and have been delighted with it.

Reactions: Pejebe55
Beste Gorm;
Dat bedoelde ik ook niet met die update. Die was er inderdaad niet. Maar waarom dan wel op de nieuwere toestellen ?? Volgens mij is het toch hetzelfde werk voor DJI om ook de Air en eventueel de Spark te willen updaten. Bovendien is het beter dat alles in één app ( DJIGO4 ) verwerkt wordt. Ik heb al veel gelezen over Litchi, maar ik ben er nog niet toe gekomen het te proberen. O.a. voor de garantie van DJI. Indien meer inlichtingen of uitleg over Litchi, Je bent altijd welkom. Alvast bedankt Gorm!!

I was surprised too when DJI said that the firmware would not be updated any more.

There are plenty of products that get updates many years after manufacture. Examples are Microsoft Windows, who support their operating systems for 10 or more years, and continue to improve them until they are no longer supported.

This isn't quite true, Microsoft used to have two phases of support which were the mainstream support and the extended support. The mainstream support is where they'd continue to add new features and software while extended support is only security fixes, while Windows 7 support ends next year that's the extended support. Its mainstream support ended back in 2015 and even then before then, they weren't adding much to Windows 7.

The situation with the drones is very different because their systems are locked down, you don't browse the internet on the Mavic, load apps etc. and the only real security risk is people hacking the Mavic's software. Therefore there isn't the same need for security updates as Windows and similar systems get as they aren't vulnerable in the same way.

Also Microsoft are drastically changing their support model to get away from long support as they had with XP and Windows 7 and are now forcing users onto much faster, more frequent changes. Even though Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are still within their support lifecycle, you can't install them on new hardware instead you have to install Windows 10. And when you install Windows 10, the support window is far smaller so the current version 1809 which was released at the end of 2018 will reach of support next year in May 18 months later.

Automobile manufacturers offer recalls on most any car made in the past couple of decades, to improve safety or performance.

I don't know about US cars but in the UK recalls only happen when manufacturers are forced into either for safety reasons or because there's a major defect with the car.

I think it's likely if a major fault was found with the Mavic or there was a new hack for the software then DJI would release a new update.

Reactions: Meta4
This isn't quite true ...The mainstream support is where they'd continue to add new features and software while extended support is only security fixes, while Windows 7 support ends next year that's the extended support. Its mainstream support ended back in 2015 and even then before then, they weren't adding much to Windows 7.

The situation with the drones is very different because their systems are locked down, you don't browse the internet on the Mavic, load apps etc. and the only real security risk is people hacking the Mavic's software. Therefore there isn't the same need for security updates as Windows and similar systems get as they aren't vulnerable in the same way.

Also Microsoft are drastically changing their support model to get away from long support as they had with XP and Windows 7 and are now forcing users onto much faster, more frequent changes. Even though Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are still within their support lifecycle, you can't install them on new hardware instead you have to install Windows 10. And when you install Windows 10, the support window is far smaller so the current version 1809 which was released at the end of 2018 will reach of support next year in May 18 months later.

I don't know about US cars but in the UK recalls only happen when manufacturers are forced into either for safety reasons or because there's a major defect with the car.

I think it's likely if a major fault was found with the Mavic or there was a new hack for the software then DJI would release a new update.

Well, my statement about Microsoft is true enough. They will have supported Windows 7 for almost 11 years by Jan 14, 2020; 2009-2020 is 11 years. Even "mainstream support" was available for 6 years. I still run Win 7 on some machines and get updates for free 10 years later.

You say, "the only real security risk is people hacking the Mavic's software." I disagree. How about DJI hacking their own software? A whole different story. Yes we need to be aware of outsiders hacking our software, but we also need to be aware of the manufacturer as well. DJI Go 4 has the ability to self-surf and update itself, so you might want to reconsider your thought process.

Even though Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are still within their support lifecycle, you can't install them on new hardware instead you have to install Windows 10.

Hmm, I just reinstalled Win 7 on a new machine last week. Not sure where you get this info from.

I don't know about US cars but in the UK recalls only happen when manufacturers are forced into either for safety reasons or because there's a major defect with the car. I think it's likely if a major fault was found with the Mavic or there was a new hack for the software then DJI would release a new update.

Have you been reading the news lately? Hundreds of posts on this topic alone. It took DJI weeks to fix the following problem. And what was their temporary solution? RUN DJI GO ASSISTANT ON A WIN 7 MACHINE! ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute