DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hate when sites post misinformation about drone regs

spsphotos

Reactions

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.47.57 AM.png

Sub 250g drones only need to be registered if they are being used under Part 107...
And recreational pilots do not need a Part 107 license.

Both statements as written are false. I would expect better from DroneLife.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
There is something amiss there, mainly all those 10 rules apply to the 107 cert. The only thing is the write up doesn't say that but link to the earlier article clears all that up.

I wouldn't say it's misinformation, but rather not specifically clear.

I'm friends with Miriam, and I know she knows her stuff. But I will reach out and see if she'll clarify the 44809/107 difference in the <250 g class in that post.

Also, use of the term "pilot" assumes Part 107. Otherwise the term "operator" is used. But again, I'll reach out to Miriam to get the wording of the article a bit more clear.

... one more thing.

I 100% agree with you in your OP. When articles and videos give the wrong info, it creates huge issue.

Also, use of the term "pilot" assumes Part 107. Otherwise the term "operator" is used. But again, I'll reach out to Miriam to get the wording of the article a bit more clear.
Thanks. I just feel it's necessary to make sure that information is clear and accurate.

Thanks. I just feel it's necessary to make sure that information is clear and accurate.
I emailed Miriam this morning with you concerns. BTW, she always has an email link at the bottom of her stories. And she welcomes emails with comments and concerns about her articles. You may want to try that in the future.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
I emailed Miriam this morning with you concerns. BTW, she always has an email link at the bottom of her stories. And she welcomes emails with comments and concerns about her articles. You may want to try that in the future.
Actually, I sent her a tweet when I first saw it. Saw no reply of DM.

Unless she fixed it, I see the problem.

Her bullet points are linear and don't show a hierarchy, but all bullet points below the 2nd are really subcategories to the 2nd. Note the colon at the end of the 2nd point.

I'm not sure i agree with the "most" qualification in the 2nd point. The person from FAA probably believes flying with the intent of posting media on YT disqualifies recreational. The mere posting on YT with that intent on flight does not disqualify recreational. It depends on the YT account and nature of posting as well. Occasional posting to a personal account not set up for monetization does not disqualify recreational.

Last edited:
Unless she fixed it, I see the problem.

Her bullet points are linear and don't show a hierarchy, but all bullet points below the 2nd are really subcategories to the 2nd. Note the colon at the end of the 2nd point.

I'm not sure i agree with the "most" qualification in the 2nd point. The person from FAA probably believes flying with the intent of posting media on YT disqualifies recreational. The mere posting on YT with that intent on flight does not disqualify recreational. It depends on the YT account and nature of posting as well. Occasional posting to a personal account not set up for monetization does not disqualify recreational.
She just copied and pasted straight from what the FAA sent her. So it is a bit confusing.

Often copy/paste loses some of the formatting such as indenting. The indenting would show the hierarchy.

Did we ever get an answer on this? Sorry if I missed it.
Since it was taken directly from an FAA email, there wasn't much Miriam could do. And since it's an older story, it's not that important anymore. Frustrating.

This is why all communications are supposed to go through the FAA's UAS communication team. All of my stuff goes through them or the FAAST leads.

Reactions: grizzley01
I could be wrong... but I think this sentence clears things up-
"Flights governed by Part 107 must follow the next rules listed:"

Reactions: brett8883
I could be wrong... but I think this sentence clears things up-
"Flights governed by Part 107 must follow the next rules listed:"
Yea exactly if you actually read the article not just look at the bullet points there’s no confusion.

Only problem I see is that clearly the number of recreational flights dwarfs part 107 flights by a large margin.

View attachment 120888

Sub 250g drones only need to be registered if they are being used under Part 107...
And recreational pilots do not need a Part 107 license.

Both statements as written are false. I would expect better from DroneLife.
I actually emailed the author and recommended they change their article to reflect the proper information.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143