DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Having seconds thoughts clicking buy it now

Zoro

Reactions
Ordered a Mavic last week but had to wait until my CC payment cleared so I cancceled my order. Was gonna buy it today but I've been hearing nothing but negative stuff about The DJI Go app after this latest update. My friends are getting CPU overload warnings and messed up video. They say they have t bother to fly anymore with this latest update...... everything worked fine before that. All these negative reports about DJI's app is the cure for my recent case of drone fever. Someone convince me otherwise?

I ordered a case and some accessories on Amazon, maybe best to just cut my losses now.

Reactions: garben
What phone or device are you planning on using? I upgraded to an iphone 7 when I bought the Mavic, only because the battery was failing in my 5S. Never had any problems - yet. It's been a great toy.

IPhone 6S. Did you update to DJI's Las test App?

I just flew for the first time yesterday with my i7+ and didn't have any issues with the app. I will say this thing is super fun and easy to use. (I had never even touched a drone remote till yesterday...) I haven't played around too much with the app, but it looks very easy to play with.

It seems like every company I have worked for has issues with their computer system when there is an upgrade. When I worked at Comcast, our system would be down hard for hours after an upgrade! But, after a week or so, the system was not only back up and running, but better than before the upgrade.

I have the Galaxy S6 Edge. I always clear all apps before I fly. I also have ALOT of memory available in my phone. That being said, I have noticed if I get a phone call while flying, and then ignore the call, the app quits. I then use the hard return to home app on the remote. Then restart my phone. Is it frustrating? yes, a little. But its more routine now. I think a lot about work-arounds, just like I did when I worked at Comcast.

You'll also find that about 20% of the MavicPro drones have issues, obvious ones, right out of the box. My third one is a charm. But, not after returning two of them and getting a nasty gram from Amazon saying that they may have to cancel my account if I returned any more stuff. My sense of humanity and the A to Z promise just sends my brain off into orbit when I see things like that! But, it would be worse to have purchased it from DJI. They expect you to keep the defective drone until they come up with a fix. Did I mention they don't understand English very well? Big Box stores now charge a re-stocking fee for returning the Mavic. Apparently they've had a few returns!

But, I can tell you I was in the same exact boat you are after my first drone failure of all sensors and the Mavic being stuck in ATTI mode. I had to reset my expectations by doing the following.

1) The Mavic Pro Drone is the best bang for the buck out there. PERIOD

2) DJI is a Chinese company, with Chinese customer service. Expect to repeat everything you say, even when in Email form! They are the worst to deal with when things go wrong.

I hope that helps.

It's safe to assume that more Mavic owners with the latest updates are flying problem-free than not. I would say a good portion of the ones having problems resulted from botched updates - weak WiFi signal or impatience (pressing buttons before it has completed). You ordered the Mavic because you thought it would be fun. That hasn't changed. But at the end of the day it's your money.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
I just flew for the first time yesterday with my i7+ and didn't have any issues with the app. I will say this thing is super fun and easy to use. (I had never even touched a drone remote till yesterday...) I haven't played around too much with the app, but it looks very easy to play with.

This is helping. What could be the problem everyone is talking about with DJI's app? I would buy Litchi to get around any problems is this considered a more reliable app?

Reactions: Flyboy1950
I'm using an iPhone 6Plus (with a couple of years usage in 10.3.3) no issue a all.
Mavic Pro is the best what you can get with that money. Just click "order now" and enjoy when it arrives.
Fly safe and use your Head!!

This is helping. What could be the problem everyone is talking about with DJI's app? I would buy Litchi to get around any problems is this considered a more reliable app?

If the APP is what is holding you back from buying the drone, I wouldn't let it hold you back. I'm going on my 2nd day of owner ship and haven't seen a reason to shed out $23 for an app yet. Again, i'm flying for fun - not sure what you're intentions are.

I did update everything (to include my FAA registration) before I even took off.

Be safe, have fun, and follow the rules of the sky. Don't let this APP thing worry you.

It seems like every company I have worked for has issues with their computer system when there is an upgrade. When I worked at Comcast, our system would be down hard for hours after an upgrade! But, after a week or so, the system was not only back up and running, but better than before the upgrade.

I have the Galaxy S6 Edge. I always clear all apps before I fly. I also have ALOT of memory available in my phone. That being said, I have noticed if I get a phone call while flying, and then ignore the call, the app quits. I then use the hard return to home app on the remote. Then restart my phone. Is it frustrating? yes, a little. But its more routine now. I think a lot about work-arounds, just like I did when I worked at Comcast.

You'll also find that about 20% of the MavicPro drones have issues, obvious ones, right out of the box. My third one is a charm. But, not after returning two of them and getting a nasty gram from Amazon saying that they may have to cancel my account if I returned any more stuff. My sense of humanity and the A to Z promise just sends my brain off into orbit when I see things like that! But, it would be worse to have purchased it from DJI. They expect you to keep the defective drone until they come up with a fix. Did I mention they don't understand English very well? Big Box stores now charge a re-stocking fee for returning the Mavic. Apparently they've had a few returns!

But, I can tell you I was in the same exact boat you are after my first drone failure of all sensors and the Mavic being stuck in ATTI mode. I had to reset my expectations by doing the following.

1) The Mavic Pro Drone is the best bang for the buck out there. PERIOD

2) DJI is a Chinese company, with Chinese customer service. Expect to repeat everything you say, even when in Email form! They are the worst to deal with when things go wrong.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, I need a drone like I need a hole in my head. That said, it looks like a blast and I want one. I guess I'll take a chance. I get my stuff from Adorama and I'm on the VIP-360, which has quite a few benifets so returning a defective Mavic might be easier than Amazon. They also cover any damage spills etc. the guy their at Adorama told me if I'm in their 360 club no need to purchase the DJI refresh card either. I never buy stuff from Amazon other than small things.

Off the top of my head I think Adorama has a 3 month return policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoonstruckView
I received my Mavic about 3 weeks, and I'm still in the return period (via Amazon.) I have a Samsung S7 Edge. The DJI Go app simply closes on my fairly regularly. When it's working though, what a tremendous experience flying the Mavic! I bought my dad a Phantom 3 Advanced a couple of years ago, and I know how much fun a good quality drone can be to fly.

Instead of just deciding to return my Mavic (it works fine, the app doesn't), I instead installed Litchi, and what an enjoyable experience. I haven't used it much, but I've yet to have the thing close. The video on the phone is great as well. I used it to do a 360 pano..worked great!

My advice, if you're buying from Amazon, you do have a return period (check to make sure the selling vendor doesn't have a weird return policy). That way if you buy from them, you have 30 days to try it out yourself to see if you like it. Personally, I couldn't be happier with this thing. I do think that DJI will fix their app, but since they're geared towards Apple, Android will take a bit longer.

Hope this helps.

If the APP is what is holding you back from buying the drone, I wouldn't let it hold you back. I'm going on my 2nd day of owner ship and haven't seen a reason to shed out $23 for an app yet. Again, i'm flying for fun - not sure what you're intentions are.

I did update everything (to include my FAA registration) before I even took off.

Be safe, have fun, and follow the rules of the sky. Don't let this APP thing worry you.

I do video work have C100's getting a C300 mkii, and tons of other gear. A drone doesn't fit into my work at all, so it's just a toy for me.

Some corrections. I just ordered the Mavic, will arrive Friday from Adorama. I asked them again about the VIP-360 membership covering the Mavic. The guy today said it didnt cover the Mavic on damages while flying, where the first guy I talked to last week said it did. Two complete different stories. Adorama does have an extended return with the VIP-360 of 60 days, not 90 days as I said in a previous post.

If the Mavic has any sign of damage during the return window of 60 days then they send it to DJI to access. They will accept returns if the Mavic is undamaged in the original box etc. up to 60 days.

I ended up buying the DJI refresh card.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Reactions: MoonstruckView
I do have one question while I seem to have your attention. How do I find out if I'm within a 5 mile radius of the airport? Is there an app for that? I might be close.

I do have one question while I seem to have your attention. How do I find out if I'm within a 5 mile radius of the airport? Is there an app for that? I might be close.
The B4ufly app is what I use to check flight restrictions.
I have had my Mavic since April and have had zero problems. I use a Samsung s6 to control the quad. I keep all software updated. I love my Mavic have nothing bad to say about it. I have it insured and if anything ever happens to it I will immediately buy another one.

Reactions: Zoro
The B4ufly app is what I use to check flight restrictions.
I have had my Mavic since April and have had zero problems. I use a Samsung s6 to control the quad. I keep all software updated. I love my Mavic have nothing bad to say about it. I have it insured and if anything ever happens to it I will immediately buy another one.

Thanks I'll get that app and hope I can fly her at home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji