DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

height limit

What is it limiting you to right now?

are there no legal limits where you operate? in Australia, 120 m is the legal limit

Depending on who you talk to it would seem that, in the USA, there is currently no law that restricts the height at which recreational drone pilots can fly their aircraft. Apparently, the FAA has "guidelines" which are not actually "laws".

are there no legal limits where you operate? in Australia, 120 m is the legal limit
Changing the user-configurable max alitude limit in the app doesn't necessarily mean the user is intending breaking any regulations.
The app only shows height above the launch spot, not agl height.
There are plenty of situations where it's totally within the rules to fly >400 ft higher than the launch point.

Last edited:
Depending on who you talk to it would seem that, in the USA, there is currently no law that restricts the height at which recreational drone pilots can fly their aircraft. Apparently, the FAA has "guidelines" which are not actually "laws".
That’s not true. Both recreational and commercial drone pilots are limited to 400 feet without waiver. Night flight for “fun” is what is allowed. And even commercial pilots can fly for “fun” but not above 400 feet without proper authorization.

That’s not true. Both recreational and commercial drone pilots are limited to 400 feet without waiver. Night flight for “fun” is what is allowed. And even commercial pilots can fly for “fun” but not above 400 feet without proper authorization.

Actually it is true - there is nothing in either 14 CFR Part 101 subpart E or in the AMA Handbook, that puts a blanket height limit on recreational flight. The FAA has also confirmed, in writing, that the 400 ft limit is a guideline - see attached memo.

Until 14 CFR is modified to reflect the new laws passed by Congress in the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018, there is no limit.

Attachments

• FAA-400feet.pdf
    490.6 KB · Views: 16
In so many words that expressly confirms, over and over again 400 feet agl. Skirt around it as you may, but screw that up and pay the consequences if it is a violation.

Reactions: tmtwomey
I have my M2P set to a max of 100 ft (actually 30m), which is my agreement with the local control tower. Yet the other day I found myself inadvertently substantially above that. Today I checked the setting again at takeoff, then tested it, and it let my fly above it again. Anyone else have this issue?

I have my M2P set to a max of 100 ft (actually 30m), which is my agreement with the local control tower. Yet the other day I found myself inadvertently substantially above that. Today I checked the setting again at takeoff, then tested it, and it let my fly above it again. Anyone else have this issue?
Your flight log will most likely explain what happened. If you'd like to share it with us, upload the TXT flight log here and post a link to your uploaded log here.

Thanks, I will, but since I already spent time flying and editing today, I need to finish my taxes before I go down that rabbit hole.

I's all so confusing. Some members say you can and some say you can't over 400 ft rule. Where can I read the laws of the FAA on recreational drone flying ?

In so many words that expressly confirms, over and over again 400 feet agl. Skirt around it as you may, but screw that up and pay the consequences if it is a violation.

No - it expressly confirms that there is no 400 ft limit - just a guideline from the FAA. Which law do you think it might be violating?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman