DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Height

Do yourself a favor and Google on changing Mavic debug params. Also, downgrading its firmware (you might need it). Instead of actually thinking of something like fooling the altimeter with a massive external hardware, lol. As for FAA limit, the FAA tells you to fly up to 400ft AGL. Above GROUND level. Not above TAKEOFF level. So if you take off from a parking lot and want to take some pics from a top of a nearby 600m hill, its perfectly legal. And yea, this thread... its probably getting nuked.

Reactions: v8juice and hryzec
BTW, speaking about going, lets say, 400m above takeoff, landing, then taking off again, i wouldn't risk losing LOS along with the signal, hidden by the terrain on the mountain side, ending up hiking up there.

Reactions: hryzec
Yeah, just the pams and there goes the limit. It does not make sense for me that DJI sets a limit based on take off altitude but we all know why they did. They laxk appropriate way to measure height above ground. So they decided to put another awesome feature on shoulders of their customers instead of dealing with it like a real tech company... It is easier to forbid anything that one cannot control than find ways to control...

hmmmm
I think you'll find this feature was there when we made the decision to buy the drone
The feature nobody dared to talk about in the reviews... :) From all what I have seen and heard in reviews before I bought mavic: a) 500 m ceiling limit and b) crapy behaviour of video stream when >@30fps were the biggest downsides of this product. But I am practically still drone noob so I guess some of you guys know better whats a real rip-off with this little bird... Still it is DJI - the Apple of drone manufacturers... :)

The feature nobody dared to talk about in the reviews... :) From all what I have seen and heard in reviews before I bought mavic: a) 500 m ceiling limit and b) crapy behaviour of video stream when >@30fps were the biggest downsides of this product. But I am practically still drone noob so I guess some of you guys know better whats a real rip-off with this little bird... Still it is DJI - the Apple of drone manufacturers... :)
The comparison to Apple is rather precise. I'd NEVER buy an Apple mobile phone because of its closed garden approach. But with DJI you don't have much choice, because, sadly, they don't have any descent competitors.

Reactions: hryzec
...Here is a thought, every time you land, the home point resets so if the new home point is 500m higher that where you originally took off from, there is a free extra 500m. Just land somewhere every 500m up! ...
I have not tested myself, but I read on other threads here that the homepoint position will be reset but the height remains based on the start-up location.

EDIT: I was wrong. I tested today and the height does get reset to zero every time you land. What is most likely to happen is you might lose RC connection if you tried to land higher up a hillside.

Last edited:
I still don't get your argument.
Your saying "the feature nobody dare to talk about in reviews"
And then quote them from the reviews you had seen before our got the your MP
Am I misinterpreting what are trying to say

Last edited:
Only a matter of time before DJI programs it out in a new FW. They simply have to make the flight controller regard the take off altitude always as zero on the moment of throttle up/take off. That way you never get to fly higher than 500m over the takeoff altitude.

And knowing DJI, they will lure everyone to update with a new thingy like 'asteroid' and don't tell anyone they fixed this as well.

Only a matter of time before DJI programs it out in a new FW. They simply have to make the flight controller regard the take off altitude always as zero on the moment of throttle up/take off. That way you never get to fly higher than 500m over the takeoff altitude.

And knowing DJI, they will lure everyone to update with a new thingy like 'asteroid' and don't tell anyone they fixed this as well.

I think they are HW restricted as there is no barometer in the controller. But, you are right, they will "fix" stuff in FW updates. Their simple "fix" for those using the vacuum chamber is to set altitude after launch...

I have a mountain nearby that I want to fly over but can't quite make it with the 500m restriction. I thought of using the roll back method but I would loose the Pano functions which I want to use on top of the mountain. True I could roll back to 03.700 and do pano stitching using another offline method (Photoshop).

Right now the vacuum chamber is the only way to get my cake and eat it to, maybe. I have seen some FW mods where there is a stitching of old and new FW to keep the 04.100 features but there has not been many reviews on this approach.

Maybe someday DJI will have a FW load that would allow you to accommodate flying to and up mountains. This could be done in the GO 4 app by using Google map terrain data to keep the MP some set distance above the current location.

DGI, I would also like the following FM mode and HW attachment:

A herbicide delivery system.
This would entail a small liquid storage container, spray pump, spray nozzle, and a connection to the MP for power and control. Also an auto-dock system that would allow the MP to fly home and recharge just like the several robot vacuums out there. Dock would have the remote control and internet connection to know when not to spray because of weather or whatnot. It can be done...

I still don't get your argument.
Your saying "the feature nobody dare to talk about in reviews"
And then quote them from the reviews you had seen before our got the your MP
Am I misinterpreting what are trying to say
I guess I should have written: "From all I haven't seen and heard" instead of "...have..."

All I wanted to say was not even an argument but more or less the fact that all those very first reviewers of miraculously small and portable Mavic barely touched those 2 point I have mentioned.

There are currently 3 ways to traverse a mountain higher than 500m. Land in the middle (and risk a hike there). Downgrade the bird and used a hacked set of params. Or, the easiest way, launch from the peak, or some observation point high up that mountain, and go DOWN. Mavic have no issue with /negative/ altitude.

I gave mine to Elon’s Musk is it’s currently way higher than the lot of you!!! Not sure when I’ll get it back though :)

Hello all, I was wondering how it works. I flew last year in mountains. What I did, I started on one side of the mountain about 500 m above sea level flew over the mountain and didn't notice what was on the other side as I couldn't see other side. When I have noticed that there is 800m to the bottom I started fly around the top to get mavic back. I lost it for some time . I was affright to press RTH button as I set altitude to 30m (higher than the tree). But I wasn’t sure what level it will be according mavic. Probably mavic would descend to 30m What was 400m below me. So I was trying to locate the drone but luckily I heard it then see it. Mavic landed safely on last minutes before battery been empty.

Just to share with you guys.

RTH might be a issue. The GPS system too. Max altitude is based on sea level. Take off at top of Everest is theoretically imposible as it exceeds ceiling.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4