DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helicopters over cities

That's only in the USA, the rest of the world uses 101.3 in millibars.

It's a long time since I flew. We used to reset the altimeter before starting so it would be accurate for the barometric pressure on the day. The tower had the current pressure but we would just set the altimeter to the airport altitude. DJI measure altitude from takeoff point so presumably pressure changes are irrelevant.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Helicopters can fly as low as they want...."FAR: Helicopters can operate below minimums as long as they don't cause damage or injury to persons or property "

When a droner uses LAANC & informs the airport where he/she is flying, why doesn't the tower mention that drone flight area to ANY pilots, whether helo or fixed wing? If the airport does not have a manned tower, what good does it do to use LAANC? I've had helos & fixed wing fly thru my LAANC authorized area every once in a while. Luckily, my MP was @ tree top level. My LAANC area is a 400' section but those MANNED aircraft, I saw, were flying much lower than 400'. Do those pilots even think about the increasing number of UAVs out there or are they oblivious? Yo, real pilots! Help me out here! I want to fly as safe as I can...

~

Hi! Sorry for the late response...the controller does and is supposed to tell fixed wing and helicopters about drones in the area..."see and avoid"...aircraft are not restricted from flying in your LAANC area...everyone is under FAR "see and avoid "....as far as noncontrolled airfields, I know it seems silly to have to get approved and authorized to fly there ...but basically the same FAR's apply....and remember there are airplanes and helicopters flying in and out of uncontrolled air fields...I need to research if there's anything put into "notams" (notices to airmen) about drones in the airspace at uncontrolled airports, when you apply for LAANC.
I don't think there is .
If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help....FYI I've been a professional helicopter pilot for 35 years...I kinda remember a few of the regulations.

Be safe

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Hi! Sorry for the late response...the controller does and is supposed to tell fixed wing and helicopters about drones in the area..."see and avoid"...aircraft are not restricted from flying in your LAANC area...everyone is under FAR "see and avoid "....as far as noncontrolled airfields, I know it seems silly to have to get approved and authorized to fly there ...but basically the same FAR's apply....and remember there are airplanes and helicopters flying in and out of uncontrolled air fields...I need to research if there's anything put into "notams" (notices to airmen) about drones in the airspace at uncontrolled airports, when you apply for LAANC.
I don't think there is .
If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help....FYI I've been a professional helicopter pilot for 35 years...I kinda remember a few of the regulations.

Be safe
Thank you, Ragnar! This has "bothered" me since I started flying drones a few years ago.

Sorry it’s 1013 mb or Hp and that’s only above the transition level. Below that they fly on a QNH or RPS

I think they do fly below 500' AGL which poses a danger to drones (rather quads) trying to stay under 400' AGL. There's going to be some incursions with that...would you like fries with that?

They have to adjust barometric pressure often and go by MSL. The standard is 29.92" if nothing else. And if there's an error, everybody is using the same error.
As a pilot, I can tell you it is very rare to set my altimeter to 29.92 when adjusting it. And unless taking off, landing, or working in an area, we (helicopter pilots) generally do fly more than 500' agl.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olab