DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Idaho

Spud

Reactions
I have decided to place an order for a Mavic Pro drone. :) However, I don't own either a tablet, or a smart cellular phone. I have always used a basic cell phone, and I don't want to switch. ;)Therefore, I am considering buying an iPhone 5s, and dedicating this phone for my Mavic Pro controller. I do not plan to connect to a cell phone network.

Will this phone work well with DJI Go and Litchi? Do I need to get an unlocked, or prepaid telephone? I am new to both drones and smart cell phones, so I would appreciate any advice you might offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

You do not need an unlocked/prepaid phone. The iPhone 5s is on the low end for Apple devices performance-wise, but it's still one of the phones DJI recommends/supports.

If you're interested in seeing other recommended and commonly used mobile devices, I keep a list here.

Reactions: Spud
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Gentlemen, thank you for the kind welcomes. I ride my dirt bike into the mountains, and I also take adventure rides on my motorcycle. I decided to get the Mavic Pro because it is compact, and I think it will perform better in high winds at higher altitudes than the DJI spark. I plan to purchase a refurbished Mavic Pro. and I plan to dedicate either a cell phone or tablet to interface with the Mavic Pro controller. Please do make recommendations for the best cell phone/tablet which will work well in direct sunlight, and which will not become obsolete too quickly.

You do not need an unlocked/prepaid phone. The iPhone 5s is on the low end for Apple devices performance-wise, but it's still one of the phones DJI recommends/supports.

If you're interested in seeing other recommended and commonly used mobile devices, I keep a list here.

Thanks for the welcome and the good information. I did discover your list while doing my research, and it is very helpful. :)

I think I can get a used/refurbished iPad Mini 4 for approximately $250 USD. I believe I need to get an iPad unit with cellular service. Is that correct? Alternatively, I can get a used/refurbished iPhone 5s with 16GB of memory, and upgrade to an iPad Mini 4 at a later date. What would you recommend? In general, are the tablets brighter than the cell phones?

Are there any sticky threads you gentlemen would recommend for me to read? I am eager to learn more about the Mavic Pro and the visual displays for the controller.

I see from another thread that you use a Google (Asus) Nexus 7 V2 (2013) tablet. Is it still working well for you? Did you need to make any modifications to it? I see many of these tablets in good condition selling for $100 on eBay.

Does anyone use the Google Nexus 7 second generation Tablet on P3S

I believe I need to get an iPad unit with cellular service. Is that correct?
Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to activate the cell service in order to use the GPS. The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off. If you're going to use a Wi-Fi only Apple device, you could attach a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these) to add GPS later if needed.

In general, are the tablets brighter than the cell phones?
No.

In general, newer mobile devices are brighter than older mobile devices. Manufacturers keep making them brighter (since that's what most people like). Not all are in the same ballpark, so research your tablets of choice carefully. You can find some of the brightness levels here.

Are there any sticky threads you gentlemen would recommend for me to read?
If you're into stickies, then you'll probably enjoy the resources at MavicHelp.com. If you want to search for topics in this forum, click the magnifying glass icon at the top, right of any page to access the search box.

I see from another thread that you use a Google (Asus) Nexus 7 V2 (2013) tablet. Is it still working well for you?
I usually fly with an iPhone 7 now, but I haven't had any trouble with it.

Did you need to make any modifications to it?
I setup all of my Android devices like this.

Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to activate the cell service in order to use the GPS. The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off. If you're going to use a Wi-Fi only Apple device, you could attach a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these) to add GPS later if needed.

No.

In general, newer mobile devices are brighter than older mobile devices. Manufacturers keep making them brighter (since that's what most people like). Not all are in the same ballpark, so research your tablets of choice carefully. You can find some of the brightness levels here.

If you're into stickies, then you'll probably enjoy the resources at MavicHelp.com. If you want to search for topics in this forum, click the magnifying glass icon at the top, right of any page to access the search box.

I usually fly with an iPhone 7 now, but I haven't had any trouble with it.

I setup all of my Android devices like this.

Thanks for replying with all the good information. :)

I just finished reading 89 pages of the following thread.

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

I think I am going to order the Hauwei Elate 4G LTE for $65. Thank you for your many contributions to this forum. I am new to this hobby and am trudging up the steep learning curve. ;) Helpful individuals such as you make the learning process much easier. Thumbswayup

I have decided to place an order for a Mavic Pro drone. :) However, I don't own either a tablet, or a smart cellular phone. I have always used a basic cell phone, and I don't want to switch. ;)Therefore, I am considering buying an iPhone 5s, and dedicating this phone for my Mavic Pro controller. I do not plan to connect to a cell phone network.

Will this phone work well with DJI Go and Litchi? Do I need to get an unlocked, or prepaid telephone? I am new to both drones and smart cell phones, so I would appreciate any advice you might offer.
Howdy from Wyoming @Spud , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

@Spud
Also from Idaho here. Some good places to fly around.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998