DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Perth Australia

CanAuzieman

Reactions
Hi guys. New to droning, new to this site, got my mavic about 2 months ago and absolutely love it.

Was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice when it comes to learning to fly in confined spaces. Until now I have been practicing my flying in completely wide open areas over the australian bushland with nobody in site and no trees taller than about 2m. I take it to the beach, fly it over the water....I'm very comfortable with moves and flight paths in completely wide open areas. Recently however, I took a trip down to the wineries in Margaret River where the landscape becomes more like a forest. Trees everywhere with beautiful walking trails and paths that would look so beautiful if I could fly through em with my drone. I couldn't resist the temptation to try a couple fly-overs/throughs near a winery we were at. As I'm sure you can imagine from the tone of this story....it did not go well. My mavic got too close to a tree and the sensor beeped but it felt as though the control had been taken away from me temporarily while the drone tried to correct itself and move away from the tree.....however in doing so it flew sideways into another tree and I had my first ever crash in 2 months. Only wrecked 1 of the props tho and after taking a few very deep breaths I launched it again with the new prop and there is no problems with her what so ever.

Does anyone have any advice on how to learn to fly in confined spaces without risking a crash for making a mistake? I've seen reviews on prop guards and was considering them.....but in the context of my story above where I crashed because the drone took over controls and flew itself straight into a tangled mess of branches....prop guard would not have saved me.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. And if the ultimate answer is that I just have to get over my fears, take a deep breath, and try again.....then that's ok too!

Cheers

Hi guys. New to droning, new to this site, got my mavic about 2 months ago and absolutely love it.

Was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice when it comes to learning to fly in confined spaces. Until now I have been practicing my flying in completely wide open areas over the australian bushland with nobody in site and no trees taller than about 2m. I take it to the beach, fly it over the water....I'm very comfortable with moves and flight paths in completely wide open areas. Recently however, I took a trip down to the wineries in Margaret River where the landscape becomes more like a forest. Trees everywhere with beautiful walking trails and paths that would look so beautiful if I could fly through em with my drone. I couldn't resist the temptation to try a couple fly-overs/throughs near a winery we were at. As I'm sure you can imagine from the tone of this story....it did not go well. My mavic got too close to a tree and the sensor beeped but it felt as though the control had been taken away from me temporarily while the drone tried to correct itself and move away from the tree.....however in doing so it flew sideways into another tree and I had my first ever crash in 2 months. Only wrecked 1 of the props tho and after taking a few very deep breaths I launched it again with the new prop and there is no problems with her what so ever.

Does anyone have any advice on how to learn to fly in confined spaces without risking a crash for making a mistake? I've seen reviews on prop guards and was considering them.....but in the context of my story above where I crashed because the drone took over controls and flew itself straight into a tangled mess of branches....prop guard would not have saved me.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. And if the ultimate answer is that I just have to get over my fears, take a deep breath, and try again.....then that's ok too!

Cheers
Howdy from Wyoming CanAuzieman, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum fellow 'stayan.

In that situ, I think turning off obstacle avoidance is best, and fly literally right in front of you as you walk behind . . . no flying off without visual, and set loss of wireless signal to hover just for good measure.
The prop guards are only good for walls, tree trunks, etc . . . link > prop cages would have perhaps helped, at least might reduce or eliminate prop breakages.
They come with their own special props, you probably wouldn't fit all the time, only when fling similar situations with foliage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02