DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Philly

BullDoggBoyz

Reactions
New DJI pilot from Philly here, but not new to flying. I decided to purchase a M2P with SC after having owned A Hubsan 501S and an Autel Evo. I fly recreationally with a few friends I have recently gotten in to flying, and I enjoy taking photos and video of things that interest me. I have approx. 10 or 15 short flights with my M2P under my belt, as I am still learning about it's capabilities and features. Coming from a pretty capable bird in the Autel Evo, I am still trying to get used to being Geo-fenced by a company I just gave $2400 of my hard earned money to. I swore I'd NEVER buy a DJI drone due to this fact, but here I am. The allure of it's autonomous features and it's sensor capabilities were just too much to resist giving it a try.

After reading a thread on here about a local guy having his M2P force landed in the Delaware River by the DJI geo-fencing software due to him being in a TNFZ has kind of freaked me out. I know where he was flying and it's really not THAT close to the baseball stadium that the TNFZ was enacted for. How can one prevent this from happening? What steps must I take to check prior to me flying that same river? (Albeit a different stretch) I see the whole NOTAMS thing, but I am not sure how to use or interpret the information. I also try pulling up the DJI flight map info on my SC, but it seems inconsistent with what I found on Air Map and some other Apps. My immediate area is supposed to be a 100' limit, but DJI says it's a NFZ. I'm confused..LOL! Any insight or help understanding some of this FAA Jargon would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome :)

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy.

DJI maps are different than all other LAANC providers. AirMap is my choice of an app for approval. I never ask for flight approval through DJI. The list of currently approved providers is on this page;

As you likely are aware new laws are coming in about 48hrs...

Check the FAA site and the threads here on the new FAA regs to be released/activated this Friday.

Welcome to the forum! :)

How can one prevent this from happening? What steps must I take to check prior to me flying that same river?
You can review the GEO zones on the GEO Zone Map before flying. Before taking off, review the map in DJI GO so you're aware of any nearby GEO zones.

Excellent information! Thank you for the warm welcome as well as the links. I truly appreciate it. Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Thank you kindly. Even though I always referred to DJI as the "Darkside" of the hobby, I must admit you folks on here are pretty **** nice! LOL! ?

New DJI pilot from Philly here, but not new to flying. I decided to purchase a M2P with SC after having owned A Hubsan 501S and an Autel Evo. I fly recreationally with a few friends I have recently gotten in to flying, and I enjoy taking photos and video of things that interest me. I have approx. 10 or 15 short flights with my M2P under my belt, as I am still learning about it's capabilities and features. Coming from a pretty capable bird in the Autel Evo, I am still trying to get used to being Geo-fenced by a company I just gave $2400 of my hard earned money to. I swore I'd NEVER buy a DJI drone due to this fact, but here I am. The allure of it's autonomous features and it's sensor capabilities were just too much to resist giving it a try.

After reading a thread on here about a local guy having his M2P force landed in the Delaware River by the DJI geo-fencing software due to him being in a TNFZ has kind of freaked me out. I know where he was flying and it's really not THAT close to the baseball stadium that the TNFZ was enacted for. How can one prevent this from happening? What steps must I take to check prior to me flying that same river? (Albeit a different stretch) I see the whole NOTAMS thing, but I am not sure how to use or interpret the information. I also try pulling up the DJI flight map info on my SC, but it seems inconsistent with what I found on Air Map and some other Apps. My immediate area is supposed to be a 100' limit, but DJI says it's a NFZ. I'm confused..LOL! Any insight or help understanding some of this FAA Jargon would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller, I love mine. Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian