DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from the Sunshine Coast in Australia

I previously had the MPP but hated the image quality.

Images as in photos ?
Yes, the M2P camera is all over the M1P and MPP.

Video are generally similar in replay once a pilot knows filters and settings, best composition etc.
Depends.
4K might be better in playback on M2P, on larger viewing screen etc, not sure as I shoot 1080 for myself and sharing youtube.

Reactions: dirkclod
Just about 10 minutes up the road from me
How is the pro to fly ?
Mine is the mini lots of fun still learning
Done about 45 flight all locally
I enjoy flying the Mavic Pro but really preferred flying my P4. I think its the "ATTI mode" that I miss & the smooth photography / video one can produce. I sold the P4 as it was too large to carry around when travelling. Both are great flying machines. I fly up at the Runaway Bay Sports Fields.

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Hi, I have a Mavic 2 Pro, I'm a beginner in the Sunshine Coast with about 20 successful flights, but now I have 2 problems. 40 mtrs up after takeoff I get "Signal Lost" audio warning, and on the app screen "Image Transmission" error. The drone flying controls still work OK, and I can land it. I have tried many remedies from forums and youtube to remove these errors, including checking all the settings, re-calibrating, using a different cable, plugging the cable into the bottom of the controller, downdating then updating the firmware, re-installing the app, but cannot remove the errors.

My Mavic 2 Pro is quite new and doesn't always have the same screens as I see on youtube (eg. I have no option to do a factory reset).

Can anyone help? Is there a drone group or expert I can go to on the Sunshine Coast before I send it to a shop? If not, can anyone recommend a local repairer who will explain what I did wrong?

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Hi, I have a Mavic 2 Pro, I'm a beginner in the Sunshine Coast with about 20 successful flights, but now I have 2 problems. 40 mtrs up after takeoff I get "Signal Lost" audio warning, and on the app screen "Image Transmission" error. The drone flying controls still work OK, and I can land it. I have tried many remedies from forums and youtube to remove these errors, including checking all the settings, re-calibrating, using a different cable, plugging the cable into the bottom of the controller, downdating then updating the firmware, re-installing the app, but cannot remove the errors.

My Mavic 2 Pro is quite new and doesn't always have the same screens as I see on youtube (eg. I have no option to do a factory reset).

Can anyone help? Is there a drone group or expert I can go to on the Sunshine Coast before I send it to a shop? If not, can anyone recommend a local repairer who will explain what I did wrong?

Welcome to the forum.

I would have thought the cable, and yes it should be a usb bottom of controller to the device.
I use Thors Drone World cables on my M1P, never an issue, but yes a normal apple cable will do it too, you might be using that or android, but a good cable for either should be fine.

To clarify, you still have drone control, just lose video ?

Have you tried another device to eliminate that as a possible issue ?

There should be a factory default rest in the menu, but that normally just resets camera defaults etc.
Maybe using DJI Assistant (Assistant 2 ?) can help ?
I've never used that, or had a need to check it out.

I know a good drone shop up there, I've never met Bruce when up in SE Qld (often), but have conversed with him quite a bit in the past on forums and facebook in one of my previous 2 attempts staying in that platform :confused:

Been a while, he may remember me, if you resort to calling him (or staff) let him know I referred you and say hi . . .

Drone Repairs

He'd likely take some time to run through it with you if a suitable time could be booked, pretty sure other staff are on hand too, they should all know the basics and maybe have other cables, controller, etc they can try (trial and eliminate all factors that may affect this).

Good luck with it, a great drone.

Thanks for your response.
Yes I still have control of the drone, but the video freezes and I a black window appears with an "Image Transmission" error message.
I'm not sure what you mean "another device"? I am using a Google Pixel 6, do you mean trying another phone?
How do I contact Bruce?
Thanks again!

Other device = phone or iPad / tablet.
I see you’re android, the pixel 6 seems to be on the compatible list . . .

There is a link there in my post above (#27) with UAVME repair shop info, the contact us page should have email and phone etc.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Hi MAvic_South_Oz,
Good news from here. As you suggested I tried a Samsung phone and the errors are gone. So the problem appears to be the Pixel 6. In hindsight, my problems had first started when I switched from the Samsung to the Pixel.

When I downloaded the DJI Go 4 app from dji.com, I didn't see the Pixel 6 on the compatablity list. I went to phantomhelp.com for the more up-to-date compatablity list, and the Pixel 6 appears to be compatible with the DJI Fly App, but not the DJI Go 4 app.

Since the Mavic 2 Pro is out of production now, I guess there's little point in contacting DJI Support ???

Thanks heaps for your help!

Hi MAvic_South_Oz,
Good news from here. As you suggested I tried a Samsung phone and the errors are gone. So the problem appears to be the Pixel 6. In hindsight, my problems had first started when I switched from the Samsung to the Pixel.

When I downloaded the DJI Go 4 app from dji.com, I didn't see the Pixel 6 on the compatablity list. I went to phantomhelp.com for the more up-to-date compatablity list, and the Pixel 6 appears to be compatible with the DJI Fly App, but not the DJI Go 4 app.

Since the Mavic 2 Pro is out of production now, I guess there's little point in contacting DJI Support ???

Thanks heaps for your help!

Ah, didn't even notice the colour coding for Go, Go4, Fly apps.
Good to remember.

Glad you got it worked out.

My M2P is working well and it has taken videos of the coastline and beaches. Now I want to take videos of the Glasshouse Mountains, but I am unsure of a couple of things ...

1) Where is the best online (or phone) information about whether it is permissable to fly in Qld National Parks (specifically Glasshouse)? I have seen information on Qld govt. websites and National Parks websites, but it generally focuses on commercial drone flying, not recreational.

2) The mountains (13 of them) are generally well above the 120 metre height limit for recreational drones. But on youtube there are drone videos that fly over the top of the mountains. How are they allowed?

thanks in advance

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
My M2P is working well and it has taken videos of the coastline and beaches. Now I want to take videos of the Glasshouse Mountains, but I am unsure of a couple of things ...

1) Where is the best online (or phone) information about whether it is permissable to fly in Qld National Parks (specifically Glasshouse)? I have seen information on Qld govt. websites and National Parks websites, but it generally focuses on commercial drone flying, not recreational.

2) The mountains (13 of them) are generally well above the 120 metre height limit for recreational drones. But on youtube there are drone videos that fly over the top of the mountains. How are they allowed?

thanks in advance
G’day,
I can’t help you with the glasshouse mountains but I can tell you that when you fly it’s 120m AGL not MSL.
Hope this helps, passed through the glasshouse mountains area a couple of times a beautiful place. Hope we get to see your vids.
Regards

thanks in advance

You can fly from within any QLD National Park quite legally, just flying with CASA rules, and try not to upset other park users or wildlife.

Glasshouse would be awesome to shoot on a sunrise, get the light / reflections Cook did when he named them such seeing them during his voyage.

Yes, you can fly at max 120m AGL, above ground level under the drone . . . but also staying within VLOS and not over people (30m lateral).
So, as you fly towards a rising terrain, keep within that approx 120m and in VLOS, and you're ok.

I'm sure VLOS will limit you to not flying over any of the larger Glasshouse features, besides distance out and up, it would also be a certainty that trees etc will also not only block VLOS, but interfere with your controller signal etc when they are dense enough.
Safest to fly away from them a little, launching from as clear open area as possible.

Although I've flown a lot up there in SEQ, I haven't been up to the Glasshouse region, apart from driving up the highway and along coastal areas near there.
Wild Horse lookout just off the highway would give you some nice morning footage, and allow you to get some altitude for that, it's here < google maps link.

thanks, so as long there is ground 120m under the drone its ok to fly. Before I posted my questions and read your replies yesterday, I went to Mt. Tibrogargan (one of the Glasshouses). It's height is 364m and very steep (more than 120m straight down) on one side. I need to avoid flying over the edge on the steep side (although the youtube videos I've seen don't).

Now I have more questions.

1) I walked the 4km trail around the base of the mountain but the trail is through thick forest and there was no clearings to take off/land the drone. Back at the carpark I tried to take off but the app would not connect to the controller. I have never been to this location before, and I was using a phone with no internet connection. When I got home later there was no problem connecting. Does this mean you need internet to download the local map into your device's DJI app?

2) VLOS - my m2P is the DJI dull grey colour, and very hard to see flying most of the time. How do other DJI pilots get around this problem?

thanks, so as long there is ground 120m under the drone its ok to fly. Before I posted my questions and read your replies yesterday, I went to Mt. Tibrogargan (one of the Glasshouses). It's height is 364m and very steep (more than 120m straight down) on one side. I need to avoid flying over the edge on the steep side (although the youtube videos I've seen don't).

Now I have more questions.

1) I walked the 4km trail around the base of the mountain but the trail is through thick forest and there was no clearings to take off/land the drone. Back at the carpark I tried to take off but the app would not connect to the controller. I have never been to this location before, and I was using a phone with no internet connection. When I got home later there was no problem connecting. Does this mean you need internet to download the local map into your device's DJI app?

2) VLOS - my m2P is the DJI dull grey colour, and very hard to see flying most of the time. How do other DJI pilots get around this problem?

This is getting a fair way from the intro thread theme (and someone elses intro thread at that), but will reply no worries.
If you have further questions, maybe start a new thread and copy / paste whatever from here to the new thread post.
I, and I'm sure others, would be most happy to help further.
I would post such a question in the Australia section, as it pretty much applies to only here.

Yes, 120m under the drone or less, you have to guess this as the only telemetry you will have shows height above the take off point.
In some countries, you can stay 120m from a vertical face, but CASA here don't have anything in writing I have seem about this.
Of course you could easily fly within a much more reasonable distance from a vertical face, even 30m if paying attention should be safe.

1/ The thick vegetation is going to have an effect on your flights from such locations, VLOS and signal.
You don't need internet connection to fly, but you can cache maps of an area if you really feel good having them.
They aren't needed either, you still get your HP and drone position, the line back to home on the map etc, and of course great telemetry of distance, altitude etc on both device screen and controller, gotta love the old Go4 and controllers :)

I've never had to (or bothered to) cache maps, but searching here and / or youtube, you'd find this easily if unsure.

2/ VLOS, many don't worry it too much, but it's pretty important to know your drones position etc and if anything like small aircraft or helis are coming into the airspace around you / your drone.
Yes, my M1P would be same colour, and some things can help.

Not so much benefit, but drone 'skins' or 'wraps' in a bright colour can assist with reasonable VLOS against background sky or terrain / trees etc.

Strobes are by far the best option, you'll find heaps of posts searching that word here on the forum.
I'm a fan of small, light strobes, velcro mount . . . good bang for buck like the FHT ARCII or Dual, have purchased quite a few over the years.

Hard to get, and $$$ here in Oz, I bought from FHT in the US, but had to get delivered to a niece in the US, she forwarded them on (once), another order I had my younger brother in SEQ, pick up some more from her when he visited.
Try searching for Firehouse Technology strobes here and on google, sometimes their or other Amazon store will ship, where FHT won't from their website.

If buying something right now, I think I'd try the Vifly . . .

https://www.amazon.com/VIFLY-Strobe-Collision-Phantom-Inspire/dp/B096VCKR97?th=1

Can get shipped to Oz, just found this one first, but some Oz stores (Amazon or other) might have them too.

On my M1P I just had one FHT ARCII mounted on the back, can easily see it at a decent 600m - 700m (depends on background etc), a simple rotate from any position, and using the map to look for it where it should be, fairly easy to pick up.
If concerned about seeing it on a return flight, fly it backwards back, but usually it's a moot point, I am usually not too far out (see below *).

* VLOS
Even though you can often see such a strobe out to say a km or so, VLOS is not really happening there in regards to drone rules.
An aircraft / heli entering close to your drone from the far direction could easily escape you attention before it was too late, or if you know an aircraft is about, you might not know where in relation to your drone, or how you need to fly the drone to avoid an aircraft . . . if just bringing down lower at a distance, you can easily lose signal, and find it entering RTH which can be even more problematic.
So think of a strobe not as something to allow you to fly the drone to the extreme distance possible, but to be able to find it in difficult circumstances of background etc, and be able to genuinely monitor it in relation to airspace regulations (drone to yield / avoid).

Maybe as a pre flight precaution, google joyflight glasshouse mountains, see if there are regular joylights by aircraft / helis to the area, I'd say quite likely, and just so you know what might be expected . . . those are the sorts of flights that will go down to the 150m (500') or so level, and often do break the general aviation rule and descend further sometimes.
The 30m (100') or so separation between aircraft and drone isn't a great deal.

I just googled that, and first hit by an aviation coy, says "Flying with the Glass House Mountains just off the wingtip".

So VLOS is well worth being very cautious with flying around here, I imagine their popular times would also be sunrise / sunset just like we drone pilots.

Don't be put off flying here, just be aware of things a little more cautiously, enjoy and maybe post the video up in that section for us to see later.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_