DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help me decide: Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum?

Get a Mavic Pro regular and spend the extra money you would have spent on the platinum to get another battery. That way instead of getting only 3 minutes more flight time you get 27 minutes more flight time for the same price

Smart advice. $100 difference buys you not only extra battery, but a set of quiet props as well. Win-win.

While DJI doesn't explicitly say so, there are differences in the 50 and 60 FPS 1080 video quality between the original Mavic and the Platinum. The original had horrible high frame rate video quality which would make the Platinum give better slow motion capability as well as improve panning speed and in applucations such as following sports. There is no clear consensus of whether recently manufactured Pros have the upgraded camera capability of the Platinum.

To demonstrate the noise differences, DJI publishes a graph of sound pressure level over most of the humanly audible sound frequency spectrum. They claim up to 60% reduction at some frequencies. The total reduction of sound pressure level is the area under the curve comparison between the graphs. The Platinum props are actually louder at some specific frequencies according to DJI's own graphs. Not everyone's hearing has the same audio spectrum, but most people will hear somewhat less total noise from the Platinum. 3 decibels is one half the total sound pressure level so they are correctly claiming a 60% reduction of noise at some frequencies with about 4 decibel reduction at a bit of the comparison graph. Because this is an exponential scale, like light, a 50% reduction in noise is not perceived as a halving of volume. Wikipedia suggests it takes a 10 decibel difference to sound like a halving of volume.

Where the Pro doesn't make the claimed 27 minutes the Platinum won't make 30. Maximum flight time requires optimum aerodynamic lift with speed and optimum conditions and may require you to fly the battery below what the software limits us to. But it should last about 10% longer and that can be significant in some applications. If the new sinusoidal ESCs are really more efficient and flights are longer, the batteries should experience less stress and last for more cycles. Also, there should be less waste heat dissipated in the ESCs so they should last longer.

There seem to be numerous reports that the Platinums are not quite as stable hovering in wind but it is my guess that putting on the Pro props might help with that issue.

I recently purchased the MPP bundle and have been flying it for a couple of weeks and I couldn't be more pleased. I'm completely satisfied with no remorse. I added some "safety" options that included prop guards, leg extensions and a set of 8330 props. After my own experimentation, my observations were that the 8331 blades seem a bit beefier,15116792659011066969333.jpg are noticeably quieter & more efficient. The rpm's were down about 10%. Also the prop guards increase the visibility. I have seen (pun) other posts on this forum of strobes for increased visibility as well.
Again, super pleased with MPP, happy with my choice. My 2 cents, if you can swing the extra $, you won't be disappointed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu