• Replace with Mavic air

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait for the the Mavic Pro 2

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Mavic Joe

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

So I was in mexico a few weeks ago and I was flying at the beach, just when I was getting ready to pack up my stuff and turned for a few seconds, then a wave hits. Sadly my Mavic was submerged for a few seconds, but enough to case problem. Long story short,I am left with a non working drone. So I was wondering what I should do, I've reached out to DJI and they said that I would most likely need to replace the drone and as far as pricing goes I would probably be able to get only a 15% discount full price (600 ish). So here is my dilemma, should I get a refurb mavic pro to replace it or get a mavic air instead, which come pretty close in pricing. I've gone through my pro and con list, but I'm torn. Or should I just wait for the Mavic pro 2. Thank you in advance for help.

Pro:
Pro and con
  • I already have all my accessorries
  • longer flight time
  • more color profile
  • better connection
  • older tech
  • bigger

Air:
Pro and con
  • better camera
  • more portable
  • newer tech - more quick shot
  • need to purchase a new set of accessories - batteries, nd filters, charging hub
  • no extra display on remote
  • shorter range and flight time
  • nosier

I would wait for the DJI announcement, scheduled for July 18th, to see what they are offering and the price. If it is a Mavic 2 (we are just hoping that it is) that isn't too expensive you can decide to wait for production availability or snag a pro or platinum that should drop in price. Keep in mind that your accessories will probably not work with the new Mavic.

You don't say how old your accessories are but if less than a year I would get a replacement pro/platinum. If over a year then you need to consider the battery age. You didn't mention what other accessories you have so the replacement cost of those needs to be considered if changing platforms.

I cannot recommend an air because I have no experience with one.

I would wait for the DJI announcement, scheduled for July 18th, to see what they are offering and the price. If it is a Mavic 2 (we are just hoping that it is) that isn't too expensive you can decide to wait for production availability or snag a pro or platinum that should drop in price. Keep in mind that your accessories will probably not work with the new Mavic.

You don't say how old your accessories are but if less than a year I would get a replacement pro/platinum. If over a year then you need to consider the battery age. You didn't mention what other accessories you have so the replacement cost of those needs to be considered if changing platforms.

I cannot recommend an air because I have no experience with one.

As an owner of a Mavic Pro since November 2016 and a Mavic Air for the past few months.
While I love my Air there is no way it could replace my Pro.

If I were you I would go for the refurbished Pro or wait the couple of weeks if you don't mind to see if they release a MP II or not. Which if they do I will get one of those as well.

My Mavic pro was under water in a canal and I repaired it just fine. Now of course it was not salt water like yours was but if it was me I would try to repair it anyway.
It's already broke so what do you have to loose. If non of the circuits fried then just cleaning all the connections and using some corrosion-X may help.

I wrote a blog post on how I fixed mine after it's swim. I would share the link but not sure if it's allowed here.

Mike

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've taken apart the drone multiple times and cleaning it the best of my ability. At this point I am in no rush to replace the drone, but got a really good deal on a mavic air which I got for 200 under msrp. The good part is there is a 30 return policy, so that will still give me time to decide on what I want to do after the announcement. I was also thinking that the mavic pro pricing has been dropping in price significantly in the last few months and might even go lower once the announcement is made. So maybe I can make my final decision after that. It is going to be tough not to take our the mavic air for the test spin, after i get it.

To be honest I'm a little surprise that most people are suggesting to go with the pro instead of the air. I just thought that newer is always better. I can definitely see the pro and con from both. I am mainly using my drone for stock videos and personal projects.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!!

New is NOT always better! Case in point: AC firmware "updates".....
The Air is noisier, wifi range only, no Occusync.
Different end user "model", sorry for the pun..

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Look at the fine print on that return policy. Some charge a "restocking" fee.

Regarding the Pro vs Air debate, I prefer the Pro because of Occusync and a RC display.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
do you know whats wrong with AC? Try to diagnose it may be a simple fix

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu