DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help needed to get State Farm policy

I received this today from my Nationwide home insurance agent

........spoke to an underwriter on this since I had not checked into it before. Drones apparently fall under the category of "hovercraft" which is excluded from property coverage on homeowner policies. Unfortunately there is not a rider that can be added at this time. Our underwriter did acknowledge that they are increasingly popular, hopefully we will be able to offer something in the future.

Just spoke with my Allstate office - They will add it as a rider on my home owners policy as long as it is for RECREATIONAL - if commercial use it would not be covered under the rider on the home owners. Also what is nice I can pick what I want for a deductible.
They want serial number and receipt or proof from the seller of the purchase price.

Reactions: BigAl07
I've got a personal articles policy with SF and have for many years. Specifically guns, jewelry, drones and camera gear. On mine they list my Yuneec Typhoon H under "cameras" along with my 5D4, 5D3 and 7D. My M2P they listed under "other". My iPad Pro and Surface Pro are listed under computers/electronics and then a list of jewelry (including my watches and the wife's jewelry) and a list of firearms. Split across 2 separate personal articles policy as there seems to be either a limit to the number of items or a value limit before they require a second policy. I did not have to provide proof of purchase of anything, not even the M2P. But I was required to provide one photo of each item and serial numbers for anything that had one. They used the aircraft serial for the M2P not the camera serial when listing it, but I had the agent add the camera serial under the description.

I received this today from my Nationwide home insurance agent

........spoke to an underwriter on this since I had not checked into it before. Drones apparently fall under the category of "hovercraft" which is excluded from property coverage on homeowner policies. Unfortunately there is not a rider that can be added at this time. Our underwriter did acknowledge that they are increasingly popular, hopefully we will be able to offer something in the future.
I'd be curious to see how "hovercraft" is defined in the policy. My guess is it's not. I don't think most people would agree a drone is a "hovercraft," and the law in every state I know of says that in the case of an ambiguity in interpretation or a word or clause, the contract/policy is construed against whoever wrote it, in this case, Nationwide.

I am not a fan of State Farm. I've litigated against them enough (quite a bit) to know that they put profits before their own customers in many cases (they're not as bad as Allstate, but still pretty bad). I have heard horror stories from State Farm's own lawyers about what goes on there in denying claims.

That said, I just called my local agent and was surprised to hear that they'd be able to cover me (waiting on a quote). So I may be buying a policy from them as my DJI Care expires later this month. Is there any reason anyone can think of that I'd be better off renewing DJI Care?

I am not a fan of State Farm. I've litigated against them enough (quite a bit) to know that they put profits before their own customers in many cases (they're not as bad as Allstate, but still pretty bad). I have heard horror stories from State Farm's own lawyers about what goes on there in denying claims.

That said, I just called my local agent and was surprised to hear that they'd be able to cover me (waiting on a quote). So I may be buying a policy from them as my DJI Care expires later this month. Is there any reason anyone can think of that I'd be better off renewing DJI Care?
Do both... save the SF. Others have reported policy cancellations of SF policy if they paid...

I called my SF agent and they had no idea about insuring drones. However, within an hour they called me back and told me what I needed to do. Within two hours I had the necessary coverage. Like someone else said in this thread, it covers things like laptops, jewelry, etc. as well.

I have been with this agency for almost 50 years now and they have jumped through hoops for me many times. The OP should be looking for a new agent if they won’t work with him on this.

I am in NC and do not have any SF Insurance EXCEPT the Mavic Pro. I walked in cold and asked for Personal Article insurance he asked for purchase proof, took my personal info signed me up and charged me $90.00 a year.

Go figure.

slkfis

Reactions: BigAl07

You would actually be getting Care Refresh Plus. Besides getting one refresh after the original Care expires, it extends the warranty.

I'd be curious to see how "hovercraft" is defined in the policy. My guess is it's not. I don't think most people would agree a drone is a "hovercraft," and the law in every state I know of says that in the case of an ambiguity in interpretation or a word or clause, the contract/policy is construed against whoever wrote it, in this case, Nationwide.
I'm kind of guessing on this one but I'm thinking that the are looking as to a category for rating purposes, not something covered or excluded under the policy. To me it sounds like the person who thought that was the correct rating as no clue what a drone is.

Does anyone know if AAA covers drones?
As far as I know, AAA as an organization does not offer insurance. Individual AAA agencies may offer auto and home insurance, but agency is an independent agency. You would need to check with the AAA agency that you are a member of to see what was being offered.

But I would read this post about how making a claim for a lost or damaged drone could affect your homeowners insurance rates.

Do not rule out obtaining membership in the AMA! At least check them out, they do provide insurance to members at no additional cost.
Yes! Note that it’s only $1k, but if you have other ins. You might be able to double dip and turn a disaster into an upgrade.

You need to can that rep, took me no time at all to add my MP2 to my policy.
All,
I purchased my M2P used from a private seller so no insurance available through DJI. I'd like to get a policy that i have seen mentioned often through State Farm for $60 a year. I reached out to my rep and he doesn't know anything about insuring drones and does not have the time or interest to check on.
My question for those of who who successfully purchased a policy- can you share contact info or put me in touch with your rep so I can work with them to get a policy?
Thank you in advance!

Lots of talk about buying this insurance from SF.
More important- Has anyone had any experience with them actually paying for a loss?
Should be several other threads on this very subject. Some good experiences and some not so good (home owners rates went up!).

Anyway, search for other threads on same subject.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme