DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! What is the best WATER rescue device?

M-A-C

Reactions
Hi, I am new to this site, I have been reading many posts over the last year but now I need some real help. I am asking this question on both the Mavic and Phantom sites.
I have been flying drones for 3+ years now.
I now live on a very large lake in upstate New York.
I have two drones a Phantom and a Mavic Platinum.
I have crashed both drones several times and my dad has shown me how easy it is to get repair parts and repair them, but that was when I could retrieve them on land. Now I mostly fly over water which is a lot more fun but a lot of stress.

I need to get a device that will allow me to rescue my drone when it crashes into the lake as I feel it is only a matter of time until it happens. I do not need a device to land on water as only a fool would land on water with a battery operated device.

If you are reading this and you have actual experience” with a water recovery device I would like your advice as to the best product.
Please NO responses from someone trying to sell me their product.
Your experience with:
  • Fight performance: stability (how does it affect flight especially if there is a headwind) and flight time loss due to size and weight?
  • Ease of attaching and removing for flights over land?
  • How would you rate the construction of the device? Cheap Chinese made or High Quality?
  • Do I need to replace it after a crash or can I reuse it?
  • Do I need 1 device for each drone or can it easily be attached to either of my drones (Phantom & Mavic Platinum)?
  • With device attached can I fold up the Mavic Platinum drone or do I need to remove device first.
  • Cost of device. Is it overpriced?
  • Your personal opinion on the product?
Thank You for your help!
Maureen

I have no experience of this yet, though I have flown over water a lot but, there is a lot of info on here and you tube of flotation devices.
I know this isn't exactly what your after but the search tools are your friend.
Best of luck, whatever you try.
[emoji106]

Reactions: E90RAW
welcome to the forum ,any weight you add to the drone will have an impact on flight time, and flight behaviour to some small extent ,which you need to take into consideration when fitting such a device

Reactions: E90RAW
Hi, I am new to this site, I have been reading many posts over the last year but now I need some real help. I am asking this question on both the Mavic and Phantom sites.
I have crashed both drones several times and my dad has shown me how easy it is to get repair parts and repair them, but that was when I could retrieve them on land. Now I mostly fly over water which is a lot more fun but a lot of stress.

I need to get a device that will allow me to rescue my drone when it crashes into the lake as I feel it is only a matter of time until it happens. I do not need a device to land on water as only a fool would land on water with a battery operated device.

If you are reading this and you have actual experience” with a water recovery device I would like your advice as to the best product.
Your experience with:
  • Fight performance: stability (how does it affect flight especially if there is a headwind) and flight time loss due to size and weight?
  • How would you rate the construction of the device? Cheap Chinese made or High Quality?
  • Do I need 1 device for each drone or can it easily be attached to either of my drones (Phantom & Mavic Platinum)?
  • With device attached can I fold up the Mavic Platinum drone or do I need to remove device first.
Thank You for your help!
Maureen
1599233838790.png1599233838790.png

I gave up looking, I let my refresh expire without renewing. So a crash in the water would mean a new drone for me. Everthying was either to heavy or to bulky. Just about all of my fllights are over water so I'm just careful and make sure the proper settings are set. Haven't had an issue since I started flying a year ago. Suppose I should look for outside insurance like others have just in case.

I gave up looking, I let my refresh expire without renewing. So a crash in the water would mean a new drone for me. Everthying was either to heavy or to bulky. Just about all of my fllights are over water so I'm just careful and make sure the proper settings are set. Haven't had an issue since I started flying a year ago. Suppose I should look for outside insurance like others have just in case.
Some use State Farm ,check with who you already use.
Also is rude to crash another’s thread do just do a search on it,plenty
of threads already or start your own thread,
Thanks .

Reactions: old man mavic
Having spent some time in the Navy, I would suggest that a boat is the best water recovery device;), however if you mean flotation then you have two basic choices, attach flotation to the Drone, preferably on the skids or make the drone as impervious to water as possible. Either method has its problems, weight, balance,heat retention and flight limitation. Assuming that you land and take off from relatively smooth fresh water. Saltwater presents a major problem as the prop wash will enter the motors and any incursion over time cause corrosion
Mavic drones are not water loving and I would suggest that no system or idea will prevent eventual damage .

Never he’d one fail with my high end rods but is possible as anything.
For the money you cant beat em.
I still own 2 of them for those high wind days. The lower profile helps with high wind (over 30mph) mitigation, but I don't 100% trust them.

20200525_094226.jpg
20200726_133230.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod

Your experience with:
Thank You for your help!
Maureen

We lost 2 Phantom 4 to the lake with the Getterback tied on.
Its one of the Reason wny we created the Rescue Jackets for the Phantom and Mavic.

Although both Rescue Jackets allow you to remote land the Mavc has the better design.

Here is the last Phantom 4 Pro flying Two getterback before we lost it in the lake:
Screenshot 08-04-2020 22.56.29.jpg

Here is the Rescue Jacket : Provides a very light floatation and up increases visual line of sight up to 2800 ft

Screenshot 06-01-2020 12.28.27.jpg
Fantastic device that allows for Flotation and possible remote landing.

The Mavic Design allowed us to do something even better:
The Forum members get a nice Discounted Package
email me at [email protected]

They became pretty popular so we made a few different colors

Resuce Jacekt for fish Tackle..jpg

Reactions: itsneedtokno

Your experience with:
Thank You for your help!
Maureen

My primary area of operation, for both my Spark and Mavic 2 Zoom, is over or around water. I did consider basic recovery devices, as others have mentioned, but decided I didn't simply want recovery, but the ability to land and takeoff from water, and ability to recover a floating drone in case of mishap.

For both drones I found floats from the following source to be reasonably designed and priced option, but only with further modification: DJI Mavic AIR 2 WATER MOD protector Black DRONE Air 2 Black color Float.

I've used this set with my Mavic 2 Zoom for over a year and they perform well, but need mods to make them safer in the event of a crash, particularly an upside down landing. The floats are NOT adequately fastened to the mounts and need to be hot glued to make them more secure. In cold water the difference between the temp of the water and the floats can cause the float ball's securing button to fall out! I had this happen and the ball fell off, fortunately I caught the drone before it flipped and got drenched!

The float balls attach by friction, which is inadequate. While the forward mounts likely have adequate friction, the aft ones are not. I glued thin velcro straps to the bottom of the aft mounts and ran the straps over and around the arms. This secures them so they are not pulled off in the case of an upside down crash landing on the water.

Obviously, there is more weight and wind resistance so you will use up battery faster, but I've found that to be a minor issue given the comfort it provides knowing I can recover the drone if something happens while flying over water.

Another key point is to only operate in calm or low wind conditions when launching, or landing, from the water surface. I do this frequently from my kayak with no problem. However, even small waves can make the drone become unstable and it's possible for it to pitch over given the short distance between fore and aft floats. If windy, I do not land or takeoff from water, but launch and retrieve from my hand, or from ground ashore. I've had no mishaps with these floats with the Mavic 2 Zoom.

I have written to the vendor to suggest improved modifications to the floats, but am unaware if he followed any of my advice to beef up the system, particularly for a crash scenario. For example hitting an overhanging tree and falling into the water.

I've always used the DJI Care Refresh program with extensions, just in case of a crash. In addition, I have State Farm Insurance and advise using both to protect your investment. I like redundancy!

If you want to see some video using this drone over water and operating from a small houseboat, check out the following: NE Ontario, Lake Temagami Area 2019, you will have to hunt for the drone videos since this was a two week trip. I can provide detailed photos for needed float modifications, if you decide to go this route. I also have other video operating directly from my kayak with the drone landing or taking off from the water. This reply is already too long so I've not included those pics or videos now, but will do so on request.

My primary area of operation, for both my Spark and Mavic 2 Zoom, is over or around water. I did consider basic recovery devices, as others have mentioned, but decided I didn't simply want recovery, but the ability to land and takeoff from water, and ability to recover a floating drone in case of mishap.

For both drones I found floats from the following source to be reasonably designed and priced option, but only with further modification: DJI Mavic AIR 2 WATER MOD protector Black DRONE Air 2 Black color Float.

I've used this set with my Mavic 2 Zoom for over a year and they perform well, but need mods to make them safer in the event of a crash, particularly an upside down landing. The floats are NOT adequately fastened to the mounts and need to be hot glued to make them more secure. In cold water the difference between the temp of the water and the floats can cause the float ball's securing button to fall out! I had this happen and the ball fell off, fortunately I caught the drone before it flipped and got drenched!

The float balls attach by friction, which is inadequate. While the forward mounts likely have adequate friction, the aft ones are not. I glued thin velcro straps to the bottom of the aft mounts and ran the straps over and around the arms. This secures them so they are not pulled off in the case of an upside down crash landing on the water.

Obviously, there is more weight and wind resistance so you will use up battery faster, but I've found that to be a minor issue given the comfort it provides knowing I can recover the drone if something happens while flying over water.

Another key point is to only operate in calm or low wind conditions when launching, or landing, from the water surface. I do this frequently from my kayak with no problem. However, even small waves can make the drone become unstable and it's possible for it to pitch over given the short distance between fore and aft floats. If windy, I do not land or takeoff from water, but launch and retrieve from my hand, or from ground ashore. I've had no mishaps with these floats with the Mavic 2 Zoom.

I have written to the vendor to suggest improved modifications to the floats, but am unaware if he followed any of my advice to beef up the system, particularly for a crash scenario. For example hitting an overhanging tree and falling into the water.

I've always used the DJI Care Refresh program with extensions, just in case of a crash. In addition, I have State Farm Insurance and advise using both to protect your investment. I like redundancy!

If you want to see some video using this drone over water and operating from a small houseboat, check out the following: NE Ontario, Lake Temagami Area 2019, you will have to hunt for the drone videos since this was a two week trip. I can provide detailed photos for needed float modifications, if you decide to go this route. I also have other video operating directly from my kayak with the drone landing or taking off from the water. This reply is already too long so I've not included those pics or videos now, but will do so on request.

The ball floats were not designed for a crash, nor heavy winds.

The Rescue jackets were made for the Crash and the heavy winds and Remote landings on the Sea.

They are a much more secure , and easy way to go not to mention lighter.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mavic in the rain and float on water.

I do not need a device to land on water as only a fool would land on water with a battery operated device.
Maureen (love that name) Welcome to the best drone forum anywhere! I'm thinking that what you said could be said about other operations with drones around water...but that's me..I live in the desert..I think the PhantomRain Rescue jacket looks to be a good deal and I think it would keep all the parts in one place for your next enevitable repair job. I'm pretty impressed with what your father probably said.."You broke it..you fix it" ;)

I use the Arris-Raptor skids with quick removal pontoons, I like the skids, without the pontoons over land because raises my bird 4'" off the ground. Second, if I want to video indoors convenient grips to hold on to drone walking it thru a building. Three, I have created a 15 foot telescoping pole that attaches to my drone, using those skids also for indoors, or filming people in crowds and not actually flying over them. Can't tell the difference, like using the Osmo stabiliser with a phone. Its $40.00 for the skids, and another $40.00 for the quick release pontoons. I only use pontoons when flying over water on a calm day. It will land on water, but not advising, to use it that way. If over water, and loses power, only good thing you saved the body, it will not sink to the bottom. Flying with the pontoons attached, has to be low winds under 5 MPH, also very slow delivery after ordering.

Reactions: Thomas B
Ooooh email sent!

Yes the Rescue Jackets Provide a Visual Line of Sight up 2800 ft in the day which is awesome to have.
The Rescue Jackets can land not only on water but uneven surfaces and mountainous terrain even wet sand. High Grass,
We also added a Cut Out for a very Safe Hand Catch and Launch.
Install time is about 10 seconds on and off.

Here is the Black Rose : Geared up with the Neon Red Wet Suit .

Screenshot 09-05-2020 15.29.06.jpg

My Girl getting ready to hand Launch:
You can see the cuts out on both sides and very well protected with a good hold on it. Fist time she ever felt really safe.

Screenshot 09-05-2020 15.30.40.jpg

Screenshot 09-05-2020 16.38.30.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member