DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with Go4 waypoint missions. Can't get in to Intelligent Flight Modes.

Marko9219

Reactions
I need to plot out a waypoint mission before I fly. When I open the app (connected to the controller and the drone) and tap on the intelligent flight modes icon, they all show up
However when I tap on the waypoint mode it says I can't enter the mode before takeoff. Ditto all intelligent modes. What am I doing wrong? iPad mini-4 is my device. Current software and everything. I've watched several Youtube tutorials and they simply click on the waypoint icon and the map opens immediately to start setting waypoints on the map. I have tried launching first, and then it opens that mode. But, on the ground, it just won't let me enter.

Last edited:
You have found the weak point in the intelligent flight modes with DJI Go4. Not sure what you are flying but I believe the Mavic 2 series allows you to plot before your takeoff, I believe it's called v2 waypoint missions. If you have a first gen Mavic, you have to be in the air to plot your courses. Basically you have to fly it once manually, plot your waypoints, and they fly it again. If you want to fly a waypoint mission the best way is to use Litchi, you can then do all your mission planning on the Mission Hub at Litchi's website.

You have found the weak point in the intelligent flight modes with DJI Go4. Not sure what you are flying but I believe the Mavic 2 series allows you to plot before your takeoff, I believe it's called v2 waypoint missions. If you have a first gen Mavic, you have to be in the air to plot your courses. Basically you have to fly it once manually, plot your waypoints, and they fly it again. If you want to fly a waypoint mission the best way is to use Litchi, you can then do all your mission planning on the Mission Hub at Litchi's website.
Don agreed. But if you use Litchi where can you find the Flight Records and .DAT AND .TXT files?

But if you use Litchi where can you find the Flight Records and .DAT AND .TXT files?
Litchi creates its own CSV log and a normal DJI TXT log but no .DAT log file.

Reactions: charliej
If you want to fly a waypoint mission the best way is to use Litchi, you can then do all your mission planning on the Mission Hub at Litchi's website.
Yep, what Don said. I've used Litchi with my craft and it's the best. It's pretty incredible capability, but it does take some time to learn all Litchi's capabilities, and implementing takes some time too. But Litchi is pretty incredible, tons better than DJI's waypoint methods. I recommend starting off slow, getting confidence in the software first using a simple mission as an exercise. You'll learn more that way, safer too.

Don agreed. But if you use Litchi where can you find the Flight Records and .DAT AND .TXT files?
You can pull the .dat files directly off the bird using DJI Assistant 2.
Not sure what .txt files you're referring to.
You can also link Litchi to AirData and pull data files from there. AirData has a free account option that allows a limited number of flights and features but you can still pull all of the flight telemetry down in a .csv file.

Yep, what Don said. I've used Litchi with my craft and it's the best. It's pretty incredible capability, but it does take some time to learn all Litchi's capabilities, and implementing takes some time too. But Litchi is pretty incredible, tons better than DJI's waypoint methods. I recommend starting off slow, getting confidence in the software first using a simple mission as an exercise. You'll learn more that way, safer too.

To help with Litchi I've written manuals for both Litchi and DJI Go/Go4, this should help quite a bit with the Litchi learning curve.

The are available for download at my website www.goldwingnut.com/downloads

Feel free to download and use, all I ask is that if you want to share them with others share the download link and not the actual files. I'm trying to track the downloads of the manuals and can't do that with secondary distribution. Also, this will ensure you download the latest version as they are constantly under revision.

I'm also writing a manual for the Mavic Mini which should be completed in about 2 weeks.

If you have any feedback or suggestions I am open to them, just send me a message or email with your input.

You can pull the .dat files directly off the bird using DJI Assistant 2.
You can, but the most recent DJI aircraft (Mavic Air, Mavic 2 and Mavic Mini) have the .DAT log encrypted and are of no use to the public.

Not sure what .txt files you're referring to.
These are the usually the logs created by GO4 / Litchi and some other apps on the phone/tablet.

You can also link Litchi to AirData and pull data files from there. AirData has a free account option that allows a limited number of flights and features but you can still pull all of the flight telemetry down in a .csv file.
Yes, but be reminded that Litchi already creates a .CSV log file and can be read by Excel or a similar program.

Some great info here - thanks everyone. It's encouraged me to sign up to these forums to get involved in some discussions.

Re: Litchi - it appears there's quite a following that use it. Is there a good starting point?

Some great info here - thanks everyone. It's encouraged me to sign up to these forums to get involved in some discussions.

Re: Litchi - it appears there's quite a following that use it. Is there a good starting point?
I've written a manual for Litchi that is available on my website for download www.goldwingnut.com/downloads (a revision is in the works). It's a great app and very useful, worth the $25 asking price.

I've written a manual for Litchi that is available on my website for download www.goldwingnut.com/downloads (a revision is in the works). It's a great app and very useful, worth the $25 asking price.

Thanks Don ... I've downloaded it, there's some reading there! Very comprehensive.

I've had a quick run around - made a route using the hub, downloaded the app and the waypoint map, and executed it effectively.

There are some subtle changes between the interfaces, but so far this has been extremely easy to switch apps.

Last edited:
To help with Litchi I've written manuals for both Litchi and DJI Go/Go4, this should help quite a bit with the Litchi learning curve.

The are available for download at my website www.goldwingnut.com/downloads

Feel free to download and use, all I ask is that if you want to share them with others share the download link and not the actual files. I'm trying to track the downloads of the manuals and can't do that with secondary distribution. Also, this will ensure you download the latest version as they are constantly under revision.

I'm also writing a manual for the Mavic Mini which should be completed in about 2 weeks.

If you have any feedback or suggestions I am open to them, just send me a message or email with your input.

General statement: yours is a noble effort. Haven’t caught up to the use of That 3rd party software yet, honestly just hanging on trying to keep up with you guys; there are so many details to comprehend. That’s why documentation really helps those of us who are new. I will pursue the referenced app and have ear-marked your companion manual. I am fascinated and ‘scared’ of the potential power of waypoints. That leap of faith needs to be hedged with the trust built one successful route completion at a time. Thanks for caring and sharing. Good stuff. Good people on this forum

General statement: yours is a noble effort. Haven’t caught up to the use of That 3rd party software yet, honestly just hanging on trying to keep up with you guys; there are so many details to comprehend.

It's a good document, but as with any manual it's not something I recommend reading cover-to-cover. Pick a topic you want to know more about (usually from forum posts here), then look it up. Put that into practical experience with the Litchi Mission Hub, and then the app on your device.

AU$35 was a lot for an app, but even just by messing around on the web 'Mission Hub' (which is free) you will learn quite a lot. Altitudes, speed, distances time taken to complete the route, and even 'Curves' at a waypoint - the drone will make a gentle turn (adjustable) rather than go to a waypoint and change direction.

I'm about to go out and fly over a field being baled up for hay, just waiting for this harsh midday sun to ease off. Hopefully the bales are still there this afternoon ;)

It's done wonders for my confidence to send the drone off with a real purpose, not just joyflights to the end of the driveway then back in the box.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan