DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here we go Remote ID Cost

Thank you for the patronizing response. I did read the document and you should too.

Thank you for you patronizing reply. I did read the document and concur with DJI’s assessment of the proposal and most of the drone community that wholeheartedly disagree with you and your position on this.

Thank you for you patronizing reply. Respectfully, I did read the document and concur with DJI’s assessment of the proposal and a vast majority of the drone community that wholeheartedly disagree with you and your position on this. This can be seen by the overwhelming negative comments to the proposal which closed at well over 50,000 responses.

Under the FAA proposal, if drone operators want to operate freely, they (meaning through the drone and not the cell phone attached to the controller) would have to both broadcast their identity on a radio frequency that can be monitored nearby AND simultaneously upload the information via the internet. You fundamentally misunderstand this and it’s implications.

No - you have still misunderstood the proposal. There is nothing in it that requires the drone to have direct internet capability without going via the mobile device. But feel free to quote the section that you think says that.

True to a degree....But I guess that might also depend on where you live/fly. I live in Philly...You never know WTH kind of craziness will emerge in this city. Given the "Killadelph's" deserved reputation, I would not be surprised to see people using the app to rob/jack drone pilots and their equipment. After all, why steal/rob for peanuts when you can get thousands worth of equipment and technology with an application that will literally be like a treasure map for low life jacker's? You might think it's far fetched, but mark my words...Here in Philly, it will definitely become an ongoing issue.

If the neighborhood is that bad then you probably shouldn't fly there at all - there may be criminals roaming the streets looking for drone pilots.

If the neighborhood is that bad then you probably shouldn't fly there at all - there may be criminals roaming the streets looking for drone pilots.

True that....and I definitely wouldn't go fly in the "Badlands" or anything, but the truth of the matter is that it's getting bad most everywhere anymore. Frankly, I don't fear this type of thing. I am probably the wrong guy to try and rob, but what about those who can't/don't have the means or ability to protect themselves and their personal property? If remote ID must be implemented, so be it. I just don't understand why "Johnny Public" has the right or the capability to know so much about what other's are doing as a hobby/pastime, when it doesn't have any bearing on them. The proper authorities having access to the information/whereabouts of the AC/Pilot is one thing, but allowing "Johnny Public" AKA "Drone police wannabe's" to be able to be all up in my personal space is just inviting confrontation and trouble. It's just plain STUPID and without any viable reasoning IMO.

For instance, we have all been out flying and people are naturally curious and want to come over and talk to you. That's fine to a degree, but there is a high level of concentration in what we do as pilots if we hope to operate in a safe manner. People don't necessarily realize this, and it can be an issue. On the other hand I have experienced as i'm sure many have, the "know it all" observer who really knows nothing and just likes to break your hump. I had a guy come up to me as i was flying over the Delaware River filming a drawbridge from the side, start telling me "You can't fly that here", "you aren't going to fly that over the bridge are you"? I'm like "Dude, I know what I am doing and I would appreciate it if you would mind your business and get out of my face". So in essence, I don't hide when i fly per se, but I prefer to not be in the public eye as it just creates distraction and drama in many cases. I just feel some of the proposed ways this will work out when implemented, will create more of those type situations. Thanks for reading me out though. I am pretty much done with the subject. Onward and upward! :)

I don't know too much about it but I thought Remote ID was for people who wanted to be aware if there were drones around them and they would have to pay for an app to do that. I didn't know it had anything to do with pilots themselves having to pay anything to continue flying.
I may have missed it, but I saw nothing in the proposed rules about helping drone operators de-conflict with other nearby drones, or manned aircraft. With all the hysteria about drones causing airliner crashes, you'd think this Remote ID proposal would have at least included something to address that concern....the silence is deafening!!

Bottom line is that this whole thing does NOTHING for the typical operator...except adding one-time and recurring cost to operators, and building an infrastructure to collect and retain all the details on who flew what drone, where, and when, for any reason.

Imagine getting a ticket in the mail saying that you violated the law by operating your drone at 410 ft, six months ago. How are you going to defend yourself? How do you know what really happened? What if after a lot of effort on your part, you determine that your excursion lasted only a few seconds, and happened when you were out in the middle of nowhere? Paranoid you say?? Has the government ever given itself a surveillance power that was NOT abused? You do know that they can get your cellphone location (i.e., YOUR location) from your carrier, often without getting a warrant, right?

Reactions: sunbinder
Little late to this thread but
This is how it started for us Captain's in the US after 911. Vessel Remote ID but we had to pay $100+ a month for the 'service'. The kicker was then we had to call into that service every time the boat left the dock for any reason. Commercial, Charter, boat ride, fuel run, anything meant a call to the service. Once they get their foot in they never go away. Hope they don't try that with us now. Just sayin
Yes! The 9/11 response was a perfect example of "not letting a tragedy go to waste", to quote a former White House official. What our own government did to our society in response to that tragedy is far worse than what the terrorists did...and I don't say that lightly.

I may have missed it, but I saw nothing in the proposed rules about helping drone operators de-conflict with other nearby drones, or manned aircraft. With all the hysteria about drones causing airliner crashes, you'd think this Remote ID proposal would have at least included something to address that concern....the silence is deafening!!

Bottom line is that this whole thing does NOTHING for the typical operator...except adding one-time and recurring cost to operators, and building an infrastructure to collect and retain all the details on who flew what drone, where, and when, for any reason.

Imagine getting a ticket in the mail saying that you violated the law by operating your drone at 410 ft, six months ago. How are you going to defend yourself? How do you know what really happened? What if after a lot of effort on your part, you determine that your excursion lasted only a few seconds, and happened when you were out in the middle of nowhere? Paranoid you say?? Has the government ever given itself a surveillance power that was NOT abused? You do know that they can get your cellphone location (i.e., YOUR location) from your carrier, often without getting a warrant, right?

One of the purposes of broadcasting position data is so that local ATC can monitor sUAS traffic and other aircraft can detect and avoid. It could allow nearby sUAS to avoid each other since they could also receive and use those data, but it's obviously not about helping sUAS pilots avoid manned aircraft since the data don't include manned aircraft. Those aircraft will be broadcasting on ADS-B, and that will be how sUAS can detect and avoid manned aircraft.

When you understand how multi billion dollar companies like Amazon & UPS want all the airspace below 400ft all to themselves for their automated drones, suddenly the new legislation makes sense.

You can't have 50lb automated drones flying around and getting knocked out of the sky by someone's Mavic 2. ?

When you understand how multi billion dollar companies like Amazon & UPS want all the airspace below 400ft all to themselves for their automated drones, suddenly the new legislation makes sense.

You can't have 50lb automated drones flying around and getting knocked out of the sky by someone's Mavic 2. ?

I predict that drone deliveries by Amazon (et al) may turn out to NOT be as popular as some of its advocates think.
If people are annoyed by a Mavic 2 zipping around their neighborhood, how are they going to feel about some 50 lb monster (likely to be a LOT noisier, too), hovering in their neighborhood, while it lowers a package to the next door neighbor. Maybe out in rural America, but certainly not in the cities and suburbs.

You may be right about Amazon and UPS, but I think the force behind this Remote ID proposal is the "security circus" crowd that wants to provide the illusion of security, and just doesn't care about the impact on Americans. Next thing you know, they'll be demanding that manufacturers install "backdoors" so that they will be able to take control of your drone whenever they please...lot easier and faster than trying to locate and identify the pilot.

I predict that drone deliveries by Amazon (et al) may turn out to NOT be as popular as some of its advocates think.
If people are annoyed by a Mavic 2 zipping around their neighborhood, how are they going to feel about some 50 lb monster (likely to be a LOT noisier, too), hovering in their neighborhood, while it lowers a package to the next door neighbor. Maybe out in rural America, but certainly not in the cities and suburbs.

You may be right about Amazon and UPS, but I think the force behind this Remote ID proposal is the "security circus" crowd that wants to provide the illusion of security, and just doesn't care about the impact on Americans. Next thing you know, they'll be demanding that manufacturers install "backdoors" so that they will be able to take control of your drone whenever they please...lot easier and faster than trying to locate and identify the pilot.

Surely it will irritate a lot of people, but I think most people will get over the buzzing when they realize they can get their Amazon order within 2 hours instead of 2 days.

The thing is, I don't see this ever becoming a thing in rural areas unless Amazon is prepared to spend trillions on drone hubs and product facilities in every 50 square miles.

If and when it becomes a thing, I will await with popcorn when the rednecks start shooting Amazon drones out of the sky. We are afraid of that with our Mavics, just wait lol. ?

Who is going to be operating these 50lb drones? Knowing Amazon employees, I'd be quite worried about who is in control of flying these crafts. Imagine the lawsuit when one comes crashing down on someone...SMH.

Who is going to be operating these 50lb drones? Knowing Amazon employees, I'd be quite worried about who is in control of flying these crafts. Imagine the lawsuit when one comes crashing down on someone...SMH.

I think they are supposed to be fully automated. Hence why they don't want us flying OUR drones manually. Their automated drones wouldn't be able to know if another smaller drone is in it's flight path (aside from sensors, but who knows if the sensors could pick up a small mavic)

I think they are supposed to be fully automated. Hence why they don't want us flying OUR drones manually. Their automated drones wouldn't be able to know if another smaller drone is in it's flight path (aside from sensors, but who knows if the sensors could pick up a small mavic)

It's seems to me pretty clear from the proposal that the expectation is exactly that the fully automated drones would detect and avoid other traffic - hence the requirement to broadcast.

It's seems to me pretty clear from the proposal that the expectation is exactly that the fully automated drones would detect and avoid other traffic - hence the requirement to broadcast.
Yes , exactly which is why all new drones will need remote id, older drones won't be able to broadcast so far as ive heard, which is why they are putting the bubble restricted or ama field restrictions

Reactions: Thomas B
Yes , exactly which is why all new drones will need remote id, older drones won't be able to broadcast so far as ive heard, which is why they are putting the bubble restricted or ama field restrictions

All DJI drones already broadcast - that's how Aeroscope works. It's just a matter of ensuring they broadcast the necessary, readable elements.

Reactions: Thomas B
As I indicated before, by my interaction with the FAA at the CES show this year, the big delivery businesses is EXACTLY why this is being proposed. We already have several ways for the general flying public to be safe (LAANC, DJI's new proposed phone tracking app. online mapped no fly zones etc). The FAA rep basically said that it was going to be up to private industry to "get it figured out" obviously without any concern for cost. IMO the future big drone delivery businesses are hoping this will drive most of us out of the hobby just for the clear skies.... but hey, I'm sure we can put tracking devices on every pigeon, sparrow or hawk that might be in the delivery flight path as well ;-) This is WAY over reach by the FAA if you ask me.

dont worry about any of this stuff ,by the time this bloody virus has finished with us ,drones will be the last thing on any bodies mind

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast