DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HERES A REAL DUMB QUESTION!

garyinreno

Reactions
So Im flying with a Google Pixel4a phone and for some unknown reason Im having trouble reading the fine print. So Im considering buying a tablet. Now my dumb question is....Does the tablet I buy need to have internet access? If so would it running off of a Hot Spot be acceptable?

Sorry that I wrote 2 dumb questions.

Gary

If so would it running off of a Hot Spot be acceptable?
Yes.

Hot spot is acceptable for field service if needed.

I usually cache my map and do preflight checks with the home Wi-Fi before heading out.

It does not need an active SIM card or a live connection to the internet when flying.

So Im flying with a Google Pixel4a phone and for some unknown reason Im having trouble reading the fine print. So Im considering buying a tablet. Now my dumb question is....Does the tablet I buy need to have internet access? If so would it running off of a Hot Spot be acceptable?
I don't think you can buy a tablet that doesn't have internet connectivity.
But you are really asking about cell connectivity and the answer is that you don't need that at all.
And if you wanted it for anything, hotspotting is fine.

I don't think you can buy a tablet that doesn't have internet connectivity.
But you are really asking about cell connectivity and the answer is that you don't need that at all.
And if you wanted it for anything, hotspotting is fine.
Thanks again guys!!

One more time!!! What size tablet will the standard controller for the MP accept?

Not a tablet, but the ipad mini 4 (or 5) fits just right.
For anything larger with the M1P controller, you will need a mount.

I bought one form Thors Drone World way back, a little like this one . . .

LifThor Mjolnir for DJI Mavic Series | LifThor Shop / TDW

They have a lanyard mounting point and let's your controller / device setup hang freely when doing pre / post flight tasks.

Check sizes, and maybe a look through their offerings, there may be other options.

A tablet can be rather large though ,and heavy.
Have you thought about a tripod mount, and long cable so you can have the controller in your hand, stand in front of the large screen mounted on the tripod ?

One more time!!! What size tablet will the standard controller for the MP accept?
As you live in a very sunny area I would recommend a Tripltek 8 Pro tablet with a 1,200 NIT screen.

Reactions: MA2 317

Gary
I have a Mavic 2 Pro with a 9.5 inch iPad that I absolutely loved. Here is my set upiPad in Skyreat Holder-rear view.jpgiPad in Skyreat Holder.jpgiPad on Skyreat Stand.jpgiPad-front.jpgiPad-SkyreatHolder-sideView.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07

Gary
Yes I hotspot a Tablet, no problems, now I have a smart controller.

Gary
Yes ideally you would use a tablet with internet 4G so you can see GPS maps real time. Especially with a drone that has waypoint capability. I use an Ipad Mini 6 because of its great screen size but not too large to handle

I use a Tripltek tablet and my phones hotspot and everything works just fine. I’ve even used it without internet/hotspot occasionally and have no problems, I just preload the maps

Reactions: Rudiger
Not a tablet, but the ipad mini 4 (or 5) fits just right.
For anything larger with the M1P controller, you will need a mount.

I bought one form Thors Drone World way back, a little like this one . . .

LifThor Mjolnir for DJI Mavic Series | LifThor Shop / TDW

They have a lanyard mounting point and let's your controller / device setup hang freely when doing pre / post flight tasks.

Check sizes, and maybe a look through their offerings, there may be other options.

A tablet can be rather large though ,and heavy.
Have you thought about a tripod mount, and long cable so you can have the controller in your hand, stand in front of the large screen mounted on the tripod ?
My iPad Mini 4 is really slow with the Air 2S and has performance problems, does great with the Mini 2 tho.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Does the tablet I buy need to have internet access?
I fly a Mini 2 with two different Galaxy Tablets, an S2 (8" Screen, weighs about 9-oz.) and an A8 (10" screen, Bigger Picture, but it weighs 1-lb, 2-oz) and both are WiFI only.

The advice to Hotspot (Tether) the tablet to the internet with your phone is sound advice. If you cannot do this because you phone will not support it or you are so far out in the boonies, there is no phone service. This is what you should do before you go out…

At you WiFi location, open the DJI App on the WiFi device (you do not need to turn on the drone…) and bring up the camera view and tap the Atti/Map Icon (bottom left of the App) and tap the Satellite view and scroll to the location that you plan to fly. This will preload the maps and if you do have an issue where you would need to go searching for your drone, you will have good, high-resolution maps to find your drone….

I fly a Mini 2 with two different Galaxy Tablets, an S2 (8" Screen, weighs about 9-oz.) and an A8 (10" screen, Bigger Picture, but it weighs 1-lb, 2-oz) and both are WiFI only.

The advice to Hotspot (Tether) the tablet to the internet with your phone is sound advice. If you cannot do this because you phone will not support it or you are so far out in the boonies, there is no phone service. This is what you should do before you go out…

At you WiFi location, open the DJI App on the WiFi device (you do not need to turn on the drone…) and bring up the camera view and tap the Atti/Map Icon (bottom left of the App) and tap the Satellite view and scroll to the location that you plan to fly. This will preload the maps and if you do have an issue where you would need to go searching for your drone, you will have good, high-resolution maps to find your drone….
I have been flying for at least 3 years with an Apple 9.5 inch iPad and a Mavic 2 Pro. I fly many places where there is no cellular service. Please see my many flights in the Gallatin Canyon in Big Sky Montana where there is absolutely no internet (cellular) service until I get out of the canyon. The radio controller speaks to the app. The iPad was purchased with WiFi+cellular but you don't have to purchase both. Here is a screen grab from an Apple ad. It is self explanatory. Buying cellular costs more $$$.

Hope this helps.
Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 8.55.07 PM.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54