DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hey from Houston (Meyerland area), buying 1st drone

Howdy from just a short drone flight away in Pearland. Fly safely and have fun. Lots of good info on here. As mentioned before, get your TRUST certificate and keep a copy on you when flying. I am old and old school and still fly a M1P. For my purposes it is just fine.

I am looking at buying an dji Air 3, or a Mini 4 pro with fly more kits. Probably on or before Black Friday.
I was a crewchief on Blackhawks in my younger days, and always liked flying. Getting my daughters into flying also seems great to me as well. Definitely getting the dii care refresh plan. Also, I like the idea of using the drone to help people out and earn some cash. I see a part 107 in my future. Plus the thought flying around, with in legal limits, seems really fun.
I am hoping to learn what the drone community culture and ethics are like here.

Do y’all have any words of advice.
Where are good places to fly at around the Houston area?
How difficult is the 107 test?
Welcome from your neighbor in Pearland. Welcome to the forum and I'm sure you will find lots of helpful information here. First words of advice are to get your trust certificate out of the way. There is no cost and mandatory to fly recreationally. If you plan to do anything with your drone that makes you money, you will need to get your part 107. As for how difficult the test is for part 107, I suppose that would be based on the individual. It does require time to study. For someone like myself who hasn't had to study or take any kind of test in 45years, I found it a little challenging. However, I did pass on my first attempt with a score of 95. I took a course through Pilot Institute which I highly recommend. I love flying in Kemah and it is a good legal location. When you are ready to go and if you would like someone with you on your first flights, I'd be happy to meet you to give some pointers.

I am looking at buying an dji Air 3, or a Mini 4 pro with fly more kits. Probably on or before Black Friday.
I was a crewchief on Blackhawks in my younger days, and always liked flying. Getting my daughters into flying also seems great to me as well. Definitely getting the dii care refresh plan. Also, I like the idea of using the drone to help people out and earn some cash. I see a part 107 in my future. Plus the thought flying around, with in legal limits, seems really fun.

I would say the mini for Pro is most probably the best choice right now, the improvement of technology, being your former pilot part 107 shouldn’t be difficult it just takes a lot of studying

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…). The Air 3 weighs more than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and the Mini 4 weighs less, so while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are only required to register the Air 3 Drone.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute
Get your FAA TRUST Certificate of Completion to legally fly drones for recreational reasons in the United States.
trust.pilotinstitute.com trust.pilotinstitute.com

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going… I took the part 107 Course, Greg is a onderful instructor and he keeps the material interesting. I scored 100% on the exam. Many, many other folks have only taken the FREE YouTube Videos and they passed just fine. But check out the PI web site and see all they offer.

Since you live in Texas, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the links to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 4 Pro and the Air 3, including the User Manuals.

After you read the Manuals, read them again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…
Got my Trust certificate yesterday, while my kids and dogs were bounce off me and the walls.
I saw pilot institute is have an over 50% of Black Friday sale on their 107 study guide course. From about $250 to around $107, I think.
Seems like something I should jump on. Plus that opens me up to look at side work for drone companies, if I choose later.

Got my Trust certificate yesterday, while my kids and dogs were bounce off me and the walls.
I saw pilot institute is have an over 50% of Black Friday sale on their 107 study guide course. From about $250 to around $107, I think.
Seems like something I should jump on. Plus that opens me up to look at side work for drone companies, if I choose later.
I would jump that's a good deal You know they will refund you if you dont pass BUT With their training I don't think anyone has needed one. Best in the Biz- IMO.
If you are not much into the photo side of things you may want to look at security and fenceline patrols for ranches.
All you need is a spotter and lots of Batteries. I have been doing this for some time and the demand while not as good as it was- is still there.

I would say the mini for Pro is most probably the best choice right now, the improvement of technology, being your former pilot part 107 shouldn’t be difficult it just takes a lot of studying
Thank you for the advice, I am leaning that way currently.
I don’t want to create false expectation. I was a crewchief in the Army. I was part of the flight crew and performed task during missions, I was not a pilot. I help pilots handled everything behind the pilot seats regarding people, cargo, and defense of the aircraft. I had to poke my head out of the aircraft to help land during auto rotations, and night landings under night vision googles. I have helped train them and aborted takeoffs to keep us from sucking a giant birds loitering over us.
Thank you again for the kind words and good advice. I look forward to learning from y’all.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I would jump that's a good deal You know they will refund you if you dont pass BUT With their training I don't think anyone has needed one. Best in the Biz- IMO.
If you are not much into the photo side of things you may want to look at security and fenceline patrols for ranches.
All you need is a spotter and lots of Batteries. I have been doing this for some time and the demand while not as good as it was- is still there.
Yeah, I am gonna sign up. Risk/Reward is too heavily in my favor to ignore.

I saw pilot institute is have an over 50% of Black Friday sale on their 107 study guide course.
I am a PI Part 107 Graduate and I scored 100% on the exam. Greg is that good an instructor. The courses, the ones that cost and the ones that are Free, are all Lifetime enrollment. Check out some of the FREE course.

Drone Courses - Free and Paid Drone Pilot Training

As s side thougtht, even if you do not get in the business, a Part 107 license lets you fly in places a Rec pilot cannot fly... Like my back yard... I live in a FAA Zero ALtitude Quadrant...

Home Map with Warnings.jpg

Reactions: wjkrysak
I am a PI Part 107 Graduate and I scored 100% on the exam. Greg is that good an instructor. The courses, the ones that cost and the ones that are Free, are all Lifetime enrollment. Check out some of the FREE course.

Drone Courses - Free and Paid Drone Pilot Training

As s side thougtht, even if you do not get in the business, a Part 107 license lets you fly in places a Rec pilot cannot fly... Like my back yard... I live in a FAA Zero ALtitude Quadrant...

View attachment 170361
Just finished the rules and regulations part of the 107 study guide. I was fighting the sleep monster the whole time. It was good info though.
I didn’t realize it was a two week process. I want to finish faster than that, so I am trying to power through it.

I just realized I am only half way through. I am going to finish it today.
"Whoa, you darn Mule…" As Yosemite Sam would say… You might be able to do it in two weeks, but why???

I took two months, I enjoyed it, every couple of days, I ran through one of the previous lessons again. And I did this over a couple of months… You try to cram all of that info in and you are bound to get confused… You will be asked a question or two about Fog and if you try to cram it all in two weeks, you might pass, but you will doing it by the skin of your teeth… and everything you've learned will be a Fog…

If you need to get your license because a job is waiting for you, fine, but if, it's a plan and it's a goal, take your time and enjoy the course.

Before each lesson, read some of the questions asked by the previous students so you are better prepared for some salient point that Greg might make. If you have a question, be sure to ask it, Greg or the staff responds quickly and you will be notified that it was answered with an email.

If you have other questions, PM me. Click on my Icon and click Start Conversation…

Good Luck and take the time to Breath…

I 100% agree with LoudThunder. I took about 10 weeks and went over sections multiple times. Some of the weather and sectional charts can get confusing. Now I admit, I hadn't had to study and take any kind of test in over 40 years, so that in itself might have been some of my challenges. Still, It's a lot of information to cram into 2 weeks IMO.

"Whoa, you darn Mule…" As Yosemite Sam would say… You might be able to do it in two weeks, but why???

I took two months, I enjoyed it, every couple of days, I ran through one of the previous lessons again. And I did this over a couple of months… You try to cram all of that info in and you are bound to get confused… You will be asked a question or two about Fog and if you try to cram it all in two weeks, you might pass, but you will doing it by the skin of your teeth… and everything you've learned will be a Fog…

If you need to get your license because a job is waiting for you, fine, but if, it's a plan and it's a goal, take your time and enjoy the course.

Before each lesson, read some of the questions asked by the previous students so you are better prepared for some salient point that Greg might make. If you have a question, be sure to ask it, Greg or the staff responds quickly and you will be notified that it was answered with an email.

If you have other questions, PM me. Click on my Icon and click Start Conversation…

Good Luck and take the time to Breath…
@R.Cowan
Yeah it is a lot of info. Finished almost 30% of the course today, my 1st day. I wanted to push through the rules and regulations. I am done now. Still scoring 90% or higher on the quizzes. Any questions I miss, I print out for study later. Along with all cheat sheets and study guides.
I will slow down though, life doesn’t normally give me whole days to study. I wanted to take full advantage.

The test is to go back in a few days and take those quizes again and see if you do as well... The point is not to memorize the questions, the exam will have similar questions, and if you memorize the questions and answers to the quizes, and if you see a similar question on the exam, your brain goes right for the answer to the original quiz answer and that may not be the exam questions's answer...

Last edited:
Hi @TexasEric, hope all is well! What kind of drone did you end up getting? I'm really loving my Mini 4.

Welcome to the forum from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado! Happy and safe flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne