DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi, anybody following the news that DJI may not be able to sell drones in the USA?

Hi, anybody following the news that DJI may not be able to sell drones in the USA? The House of Representatives passed S1790. That bill is now going over to the Senate. I don't understand the logic and security issues that may prevent DJI from selling, or owners from using DJI drones in the USA.

Regards,
Richard
What a shame, I guess the FBI, Secret Service, NYPD and 100's of other state and government agencies will be getting rid of their new toys.

Think not.

Could not have said it better myself. Just think, we (US) don't manufacturer hardly anything anymore. I'm 72 years young and in the 1950's and 60's I remember that we were the worlds leader in Manufacturing, sadly not anymore. You can't tell me that even today....... that we don't have the technology to build our own drones for commercial uses and fun. But the old adage is for us now to let somebody else make it and we will buy it (China mainly). Look at what you purchase, where is it made? Nine times out of ten, its not made in the USA. Yes, I know, I'm like most of you, I have drones, FPV gear all made in China.

I really love this hobby probably like you do, but right now way things are.........we have no alternative but not to buy from China or who ever that make the products we enjoy. I guess I've preached enough but I just had to reply. eEridani thanks for your comment on this subject.

I say for now(While we can) just enjoy our hobby. I really like our Mavic community on this forum, so much of you are so talented and have so much knowledge and are kind enough to share it.....I really appreciate it.........especially for old pilots like me..........God bless and Happy and Safe flying!

I'm 74 years old and worked in the semiconductor industry my entire career ... most of it as a moderately high level manager. For several years I had the engineering and P&L responsibility for about $350 million per year in sales. There are four reasons that a lot of American manufacturing went offshore:

1. Cheaper labor
2. Access to Asian markets who didn't want to be dependent on buying only from the west, didn't want to pay higher shipping from the west, and wanted closer suppliers for their version of Just-In-Time supply.
3. Less bureaucratic push back from local governments and far less delays in getting permits.
4. Access to skilled and educated workers who actually wanted to work in manufacturing.

Cheaper labor was only part of the picture. I remember when we wanted to expand a wafer fab in Phoenix and agreed to all of the conditions (safety, environmental, water usage, etc) that the city wanted to impose, and they still told us it would take 18 months to get the permits to even start. We couldn't wait that long and built the fab offshore.

We also tried very hard to hire college educated manufacturing engineers, but couldn't find them. VERY few colleges and universities had a manufacturing curriculum, and even fewer students wanted to earn a degree in what was considered such a boring field. In Asia (Japan, Korea, China), on the other hand, higher education was heavily focused on manufacturing and turned out lots of highly trained engineers.

One other aspect, of course, is that American manufacturing philosophy fell WAY behind the curve. The Japanese embraced Deming's quality teachings and virtually ate the American car industry for lunch. Concepts like JIT, The 5 Why's, lean manufacutring, etc all were developed in Asia. It took almost two decades for the U.S. to recover, and meanwhile American consumers were buying Japanese products based upon quality, not cost. A lot of talent and a lot of capability was lost during those two decades, and every time any U.S. administration of either color talks about reinvigorating American manufacturing it is mostly lip service compared to what Asian governments do.

Companies in the west don't drive these trends ... they just follow the money. Governments and consumers are the real drivers, and the more ignorant they are the worse things become.

Just think, we (US) don't manufacturer hardly anything anymore. I'm 72 years young and in the 1950's and 60's I remember that we were the worlds leader in Manufacturing, sadly not anymore.
Just about sums it up for almost all developed consumer countries on the planet sadly.
Certainly the same in Australia.

It’s consumers that have driven this too, demanding lower and lower prices over 3 or 4 decades.

The only reason I can still manufacture goods is my niche is far too small and fluid in needs to interest China (or India, Bangladesh, Vietnam, etc).

Reactions: hychewright
I had missed it was the FCC regarding DJI security risks. So the snooping factor might be real. I don't have the tools to monitor what the drone or fly apps are doing when on, but scooping up access point data, or anything their radios can tune to, is a definite possibility. Might be a reason to get out my VNA and see if the drone or SC is making any noise like they're tuning outside normal WiFi bands. lol.
I dont all acronyms in the dictionary so VNA needs clarification.

But tell me how a majority of DJI drones (other than goobermint types) are transmitting anything outside of LOS return WiFi signals to the controller. Are there satellite signals at-play unbeknown to us hobby illiterates. Are you suggesting my MA2 is sending roof-top pictures via moon beam signals to voyeurists in far flung BFE?

I'm sorry, but this is simply a trade war against China.
Trade war my shorts! What does the US have to leverage with; despair, racial unrest, brutality, massive penal and injustice systems, terrorism? Surely you dont mean withholding crap wrap debt ridden dollars? China already holds the greatest % of US debt IOUs. Maybe you think there's value in bovine gas. Seems as though that's all that left; in the form politics, aka lies and deceit, to trade.

Aside: Research shows USA constitutes 4% of world population and 25% of worldwide prisoners held captive. Incarceration Rates By Country 2021

Last edited:
Trade war my shorts! What does the US have to leverage with; despair, racial unrest, brutality, massive penal and injustice systems, terrorism? Surely you dont mean withholding crap wrap debt ridden dollars? China already holds the greatest % of US debt IOUs. Maybe you think there's value in bovine gas. Seems as though that's all that left; in the form politics, aka lies and deceit, to trade.

Aside: Research shows USA constitutes 4% of world population and 25% of worldwide prisoners held captive. Incarceration Rates By Country 2021
If you include Uighurs in Chinese re-education camps, you'll find China's prisoner load is also pretty high. Per capita, not so much, after all they have a population 10x the USA, but absolute count and the ratio of political prisoners to criminals will be substantially higher than what the US has.

These "rumors" or "facts" have to do with DJI GOVERNMENT purchases and or funding of those purchases by U.S. government entities. DJI's product sales to the general, non-government, public will not be affected.
Do you have any sources for that? I went digging and found no official notices one way or the other and I figured it's just a politician blowing his mouth off.

“FCC calls for blacklist of Chinese drone company”

The FCC did not call for anything, it did not show up on the federal register. That was one commissioner venting and he’s probably doing it because some lobbyist is offering him money. The guy is an idiot if he thinks the Chinese are worried about American heart rates. It’s Americans like this that are the problem of leaking information about drones Former Airman Who Leaked Details of Drone Program Sentenced, Will Serve Prison Time
Thank you for confirming that. I searched the FR as well but I'm not versed in FCC terms of art so I was worried I might miss something.

I dont all acronyms in the dictionary so VNA needs clarification.

VNA stands for Vector Network Analyzer, but that actually wouldn't do any good and isn't the right tool in the first place. Even a spectrum analyzer can't tell what a receiver is capable of receiving out of band, since it doesn't require a local oscillator to capture signals in a software defined radio.

What a shame, I guess the FBI, Secret Service, NYPD and 100's of other state and government agencies will be getting rid of their new toys.
Think not.

Pretty sad that they would buy them days after being warned of the danger.

But a wifi radio isn't purely an SDR. The IF is handled in software/firmware/ucode in the soc/fpga, but the RF is conventionally mixed. Your average silicon just isn't suited for producing or handling 6GHz frequencies directly.

You'd need 50GS/s to even start decoding a 5.8Ghz carrier in software. And you wouldn't get very far.

Last edited:
Do you have any sources for that? I went digging and found no official notices one way or the other and I figured it's just a politician blowing his mouth off.
There are no sources because there are no sources maintaining claims that the general public, private citizens, or hobbyists are affected. You need to read the news articles more thoroughly.
They are 2 main purchasing sectors that DJI sells too (government sector and private sector) and they are separate entities. The private Market and the Government market. There is no news or sources regarding the private market because there is no news or "sources" for the private market sector. The only news or "sources" out there, pertain to the government sector. Therefore you won't see news or "sources" that pertain to the Private sector.

Reactions: Corsair415
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky