DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi From Colorado Springs, CO!

Hi folks! I've been lurking here for years and finally decided to sign up! I've been flying drones since about when the Phantom 4 Pro came out. I have a P4P, a couple of Sparks, an Autel Evo II Pro, an Air 2s and I just got a Mavic 3 Cine which is INCREDIBLE. I'm a video game designer by trade so I fly pretty much just for fun though I am getting ready to get my Part 107. I also do a lot of photography as a hobby. I lived in Los Angeles for 12 years but recently moved back to my home state of Colorado, which I love. Glad to be here! Here's a still shot I got about a year ago at Garden of the Gods nearby:

View attachment 144418
I love your shot. I live in Utah and have been thinking of coming over to shoot that location but an a bit confused about the drone regulations for Garden of the Gods. I would appreciate your insight on this. THANKS

Reactions: ThePhotonHunter
I love your shot. I live in Utah and have been thinking of coming over to shoot that location but an a bit confused about the drone regulations for Garden of the Gods. I would appreciate your insight on this. THANKS
To film at a city park, including Garden of the Gods, America the Beautiful Park, Memorial Park as well as many other City parks, you will need to fill out a Commercial Film Permit Application and pay the fees below to the City parks department. Road closures require an additional fee. You must also obtain and submit a $1,000,000 certificate of insurance that names the City of Colorado Springs and its employees as additional insured. Please note that filming in Garden of the Gods Park is now $500 per day and the hours that you may film are restricted. Drone filming is also restricted to certain hours and additional documentation is required. Please see the links below for all details and policies.

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 719.385.6519
Application Fee: $25
Permit Fee:
  • $500/day for Garden of the Gods Park (The only exception for this permit is for photos or video projects where the final product is for a customer's personal use (this includes weddings, engagement photos, graduation photos, etc.) Click here for more information.*
  • $250/day for all other city parks, trails and open spaces
Deadline: 14 days in advance of the shoot date

Commercial photography and other forms of media in the City's public right-of-way and parks are permitted through the City's Office of Special Events. Please read the information below to determine if you need a permit.

* When no permit is required​

Recreational photography: informal photos taken for personal use and enjoyment.

Professional photography: photographer is compensated for their work or charges for their services or final product. Photography may include, but is not limited to: landscape, still life, senior portraits, family portraits, team portraits, birthday or holiday portraits, prom photos, engagement, and wedding photos. This final product is not used to market a good or service; for example, a car commercial.

Exception: Rock Ledge Ranch

To film at a city park, including Garden of the Gods, America the Beautiful Park, Memorial Park as well as many other City parks, you will need to fill out a Commercial Film Permit Application and pay the fees below to the City parks department. Road closures require an additional fee. You must also obtain and submit a $1,000,000 certificate of insurance that names the City of Colorado Springs and its employees as additional insured. Please note that filming in Garden of the Gods Park is now $500 per day and the hours that you may film are restricted. Drone filming is also restricted to certain hours and additional documentation is required. Please see the links below for all details and policies.

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 719.385.6519
Application Fee: $25
Permit Fee:
  • $500/day for Garden of the Gods Park (The only exception for this permit is for photos or video projects where the final product is for a customer's personal use (this includes weddings, engagement photos, graduation photos, etc.) Click here for more information.*
  • $250/day for all other city parks, trails and open spaces
Deadline: 14 days in advance of the shoot date

Commercial photography and other forms of media in the City's public right-of-way and parks are permitted through the City's Office of Special Events. Please read the information below to determine if you need a permit.

* When no permit is required​

Recreational photography: informal photos taken for personal use and enjoyment.

Professional photography: photographer is compensated for their work or charges for their services or final product. Photography may include, but is not limited to: landscape, still life, senior portraits, family portraits, team portraits, birthday or holiday portraits, prom photos, engagement, and wedding photos. This final product is not used to market a good or service; for example, a car commercial.

Exception: Rock Ledge Ranch
So if I want to shoot just for my personal use would it only cost $25 for the application fee?

Welcome to the Mavic Forum! When I retired from the Navy I bought a home a couple miles away just off of Centennial and Garden of the Gods. Although I wasn’t flying drones back then, that’s a beautiful drone shot of the scenery. I worked for Intel FAB 23 right down the road, and I would often take my lunch break at an overlook to the Kissing Camels. This shot puts all my ground-based GoG photos to shame!! I miss the beautiful state of Colorado, but if you ever want to see some drone shots of miles and miles of “flat dirt” I’m your guy, out here in FLAT Kansas City!! Lol!! Welcome!
Ah yes. Kansas City. Where you can watch your dog run away for 3 days. lol

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

So if I want to shoot just for my personal use would it only cost $25 for the application fee?
I'm not sure about that but I've never heard of anyone actually getting a permit to fly in Garden of the Gods. This is why I took my shot from outside the park (parked outside the south gate and flew in a little). You probably can't maintain VLOS if you fly all the way to the rocks, but you can go in a little ways. The other thing you have to do is be sure not to disturb the wildlife (which you may do if you get close to the rocks) as this is illegal. As you can see, I stayed pretty far from the rocks and pretty close to 400 ft. so as not to disturb the wildlife. I also try not to disturb the hikers, because they get more cranky than the wildlife if disturbed. lol

Carly Kobasiar did not pick up her phone when I called her today to ask her specifics, but I did leave a message asking for clarification. I will post a reply when/if she calls back.

Carly Kobasiar did not pick up her phone when I called her today to ask her specifics, but I did leave a message asking for clarification. I will post a reply when/if she calls back.
I would love to hear what you find out (if anything)!

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'll be in The Springs at the end of next month to look around and interview. Man your housing prices
have taken off. Regrettably no time to fly.

Hi folks! I've been lurking here for years and finally decided to sign up! I've been flying drones since about when the Phantom 4 Pro came out. I have a P4P, a couple of Sparks, an Autel Evo II Pro, an Air 2s and I just got a Mavic 3 Cine which is INCREDIBLE. I'm a video game designer by trade so I fly pretty much just for fun though I am getting ready to get my Part 107. I also do a lot of photography as a hobby. I lived in Los Angeles for 12 years but recently moved back to my home state of Colorado, which I love. Glad to be here! Here's a still shot I got about a year ago at Garden of the Gods nearby:

View attachment 144418
Hello from Colorado Springs, I just signed up for the forum. I am a new drone pilot, or I should say, I am learning right now. Thats a nice pic, do you know of any club around here. I have been flying in Deerfield Park practicing moves and adjusting the drone settings.

Greetings from Colorado Springs, CO! I will make assumption and say you fly for recreational reasons. There are many wonderful places to fly in COS. The very first things you should ensure as a recreational pilot is register and mark your drone on FAA.GOV $5 fee (not some other www site), complete the TRUST (impossible to fail) and print out your completion certificate, there are apps available to D/L to help you determine where NOT to fly. Some city parks are a definite NO NO such as GOG because of protected species!
Truthfully, one of my favorite place is Palmer Lake. Very drone friendly. A great place to learn many of the basics and chase trains at the same time. A moving train provides skill challenges such as parallel tracking right and left, with lateral and height angle views. Wonderful scenery. Memorial Park has its fair share of recreational drones. Remember some parks may be off limits due to differing factors, such as wildlife protection. Hoping all goes well and above all enjoy!

Greetings from Colorado Springs, CO! I will make assumption and say you fly for recreational reasons. There are many wonderful places to fly in COS. The very first things you should ensure as a recreational pilot is register and mark your drone on FAA.GOV $5 fee (not some other www site), complete the TRUST (impossible to fail) and print out your completion certificate, there are apps available to D/L to help you determine where NOT to fly. Some city parks are a definite NO NO such as GOG because of protected species!
Truthfully, one of my favorite place is Palmer Lake. Very drone friendly. A great place to learn many of the basics and chase trains at the same time. A moving train provides skill challenges such as parallel tracking right and left, with lateral and height angle views. Wonderful scenery. Memorial Park has its fair share of recreational drones. Remember some parks may be off limits due to differing factors, such as wildlife protection. Hoping all goes well and above all enjoy!
Thanks for the advice. Both of my drones are already registered and tagged. I have been doing lots of research as far as local laws and FAA since some agencies here in the Springs are misinformed. I called one park when I first started flying and the lady was very rude and told me that I cannot fly drones at any park in Colorado Springs. That's when I started my quest for solid information. There are some strange rules in Colorado, for example, you can only fly over private property at 500 feet, which is illegal, they made that law on purpose which is ridiculous. I have all the appropriate apps and I keep reading and getting knowledgeable every day. I never thought of that suggestion of chasing trains, that's a smart idea thanks.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Hey man, I saw you online when I was searching for a club here in the Springs. I read your bio, you have done a lot of stuff and have worked with famous people, right? I think is you if I am not mistaken.

I'm not sure about that but I've never heard of anyone actually getting a permit to fly in Garden of the Gods. This is why I took my shot from outside the park (parked outside the south gate and flew in a little). You probably can't maintain VLOS if you fly all the way to the rocks, but you can go in a little ways. The other thing you have to do is be sure not to disturb the wildlife (which you may do if you get close to the rocks) as this is illegal. As you can see, I stayed pretty far from the rocks and pretty close to 400 ft. so as not to disturb the wildlife. I also try not to disturb the hikers, because they get more cranky than the wildlife if disturbed. lol
According to my research, the trick to fly at Garden of the Gods is to take off from outside the park and then fly over the park just like you said.

I've been lurking here for years and finally decided to sign up!

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar.

With so much going on I'm hesitant to suggest one more Web Site for your to be "lurking on" (Your words…). However, we have an associate site, "PhantomPilots"…

Since you have so many DJI drones, here is the link to every one of their products, including the Drone's User Manuals…

Since you are getting ready to acquire your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Happy, Safe, and Legal Droning…

Reactions: rcanboy27
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar.

With so much going on I'm hesitant to suggest one more Web Site for your to be "lurking on" (Your words…). However, we have an associate site, "PhantomPilots"…

Since you have so many DJI drones, here is the link to every one of their products, including the Drone's User Manuals…

Since you are getting ready to acquire your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Thank you for the info.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato