DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Visibility Vests

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're taking yourself too seriously. To keep people away, take a page out of PhilyDroneLife's book and act like a lunatic. Nobody will approach you. The guy is as mad as a box of frogs but very entertaining.

• Haha
Reactions: Geobeck7
Thanks for commenting about how your local government works but fortunately I live in a free state. The people tell the government what to do, not the other way around. I understand you are familiar with and used to that sort of thinking, it's probably par for the course in your state. Our state has preemption so our local governments respect the rule of law here.

BTW, I wasn't nasty. I saw a transplant, maybe from your state, and I gently reminded him where we was. ;)
What am I missing?.....What did I mention about the Local Government here?

Reactions: Torque
Thanks for commenting about how your local government works but fortunately I live in a free state. The people tell the government what to do, not the other way around. I understand you are familiar with and used to that sort of thinking, it's probably par for the course in your state. Our state has preemption so our local governments respect the rule of law here.

BTW, I wasn't nasty. I saw a transplant, maybe from your state, and I gently reminded him where we was. ;)
One of the very reasons citizens create governments is to tell people what to do. Our criminal laws establish minimum standards of conduct and behavior. Codes establish acceptable building standards. Paying our taxes allows us to have school, roads, water supplies, national defense, police and fire services, ... Licenses assure that our doctors, dentists, barbers, and airline pilots are qualified. Your federal, state, and local governments tell you what to do no matter where you live. It's part of life in a civilized society. I'll bet you have a driver's license, pay taxes, and stop at traffic lights when they're red.

And, preemption is a fundamental part of the law in every state and for the nation.

I see that you not only knew what that park employee was thinking and what he was going to say and do, but you know his residence history, too.

We often joke about the value of high visiblity "Drone Pilot" vests and after a discussion with some flying buddies the other day, one of them sent me this FAA notice. Dated 2018, I thought it was interesting and I couldn't find where it had been shared here:

Sorry everyone but I am still flying STEALTH! As I've said before,I fly from shadowed areas (trees, bushes), or behind any cover I can find. I fly when people are not around (early in the morning or late in the day), or go to areas where there are no people at all. I get very nervous flying where there are people of any sort. I try to go up fat, get my shots and come down fast, pack up fast, and disappearing into my car. That is the attitude I have taken since I have flown for the past 5 years from novice to sagacious and savvy stealth flyer.

Dale
Miami

frontx600-5.jpg

😁😁😁

We often joke about the value of high visiblity "Drone Pilot" vests and after a discussion with some flying buddies the other day, one of them sent me this FAA notice. Dated 2018, I thought it was interesting and I couldn't find where it had been shared here:

I have been flying professionally since 2017. I never wear a vest, unless it is required by the client. When flying a drone for money time is everything. When I show up at a job, I am usually 200 to 300 yards away from the point of interest. I don't care if people can see the drone, what I don't want; is for the general public to know where I am. So, I am somewhat tucked away from view, but able to keep VLOS on the drone. This way I am not approached by the general public and can get the job done quickly with no interruptions. No harm, no foul. I am in and out, then off to the next job.

Sorry everyone but I am still flying STEALTH! As I've said before,I fly from shadowed areas (trees, bushes), or behind any cover I can find. I fly when people are not around (early in the morning or late in the day), or go to areas where there are no people at all. I get very nervous flying where there are people of any sort. I try to go up fat, get my shots and come down fast, pack up fast, and disappearing into my car. That is the attitude I have taken since I have flown for the past 5 years from novice to sagacious and savvy stealth flyer.

Dale
Miami
If you are flying as a hobbyist that can be easy. However, if you are flying commercially, you can not be so "stealthy". Therefore, dressing professionally, and knowing what to say if confronted is key.

I have been flying professionally since 2017. I never wear a vest, unless it is required by the client. When flying a drone for money time is everything. When I show up at a job, I am usually 200 to 300 yards away from the point of interest. I don't care if people can see the drone, what I don't want; is for the general public to know where I am. So, I am somewhat tucked away from view, but able to keep VLOS on the drone. This way I am not approached by the general public and can get the job done quickly with no interruptions. No harm, no foul. I am in and out, then off to the next job.
I don't understand why one would be concerned by the "general public" if approached. If I am confronted, I remain polite, and share what I am doing, that I am a licensed drone pilot by the FAA, and that what I am doing is legal. If that doesn't satisfy them (it always has except for one experience), I offer to call LE to settle the matter.

I think it best to stand your ground and tell people you are within your rights. This will get around and we will see fewer "Karen" confrontations.

Reactions: Torque

Dale
Miami
I agree with you Dale except it doesn’t work when you’re asked to record a fireman’s parade, outdoor church service, shots for a realtor, etc. That’s when the “official” card needs played, and yes, I’m a 107 pilot.

I don't understand why one would be concerned by the "general public" if approached. If I am confronted, I remain polite, and share what I am doing, that I am a licensed drone pilot by the FAA, and that what I am doing is legal. If that doesn't satisfy them (it always has except for one experience), I offer to call LE to settle the matter.

I think it best to stand your ground and tell people you are within your rights. This will get around and we will see fewer "Karen" confrontations.
As I mentioned early in the post time is money. It is not that I do not want to explain to the general public that what I am doing is actually really work and legal. But to do so safely, I would be forced to fly my drone back to the take-off location and land, wasting valuable battery resources, and valuable time. Now, after I explain to them what I am doing there, I then have to fly back out and finish the job. Most days, I have several jobs lined up for a full day's worth of work. Now I have spent a good portion of that time explaining to somebody why I was there.

It's not that I do not want to be nice and explain and educate the general public about general drone use, I have in the past, but I am working and time is money in this industry.

As I mentioned early in the post time is money. It is not that I do not want to explain to the general public that what I am doing is actually really work and legal. But to do so safely, I would be forced to fly my drone back to the take-off location and land, wasting valuable battery resources, and valuable time. Now, after I explain to them what I am doing there, I then have to fly back out and finish the job. Most days, I have several jobs lined up for a full day's worth of work. Now I have spent a good portion of that time explaining to somebody why I was there.

It's not that I do not want to be nice and explain and educate the general public about general drone use, I have in the past, but I am working and time is money in this industry.
I agree, time is money. I would suspect that one dressed professionally is less likely to be confronted by a "Karen" or anyone asking questions and wasting the pilot's time than one trying to fly by hiding in the shadows. Why add to the spectator's suspicion?

To each their own. Do what works for you. As I stated in post #2, my experience has shown that looking professional "minimizes" confrontations. As mentioned previously, wearing Reflective Vests by Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) Remote Pilots is highly recommended by the FAA

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/f...irline_operators/airline_safety/InFO18001.pdf

Reactions: Dbez1 and Torque
My first rule of flying is to fly where there are no people around. Since I live in a rural area this is pretty easy. If I'm in an area where people may be driving by and I can't command from a secluded location, then it pays to wear my vest and I find that people leave me alone.
I always keep all of my documentation handy in case someone is interested or I'm approached by law enforcement. One of the reasons I bought a Matrice M30 is so I can take photos and videos from a distance or height without having to fly close to private property or near people.
Generally I'm up and down quickly. The only time I'm flying for a longer period of time is when I'm mapping and then I may be up for 1 hour or so. Then I do everything in my power to look as official as possible - even to the point of having my permission letters handy in case curious onlookers happen by.

As to flying in local parks - I always check local municipal ordinances - some parks are free to fly in at certain times or when deserted, but in many places, most city parks are off limits to drones at any time without permission. I'm mystified why someone would take it upon themselves to make up their own rules and then be angry when other people point out that they may be breaking the law.

Don't make yourself a target, fly your drone sitting at the shadow of some tree and away from people. Keep your drone at 300+ meters from you once it's in the air, so it lures karens away from you and never pretend you are some sort of pilot protected by the magic powers of the FAA, you are an old kid flying your toy annoying everyone around with noise and privacy concerns. 🙂

and

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman