DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hobbyist versus Part 107

If you are Part 107 certified then of course - that's who LAANC is intended for.
I know. I was concerned that because I did not have a contract prior to the flight that it would not qualify as commercial

I know. I was concerned that because I did not have a contract prior to the flight that it would not qualify as commercial

Part 107 covers all sUAS operations except those that qualify for the limited recreational exception and are chosen to be flown under that exemption by the pilot. You can fly entirely recreational flights under Part 107 if you want to, including using LAANC - there is no requirement at all for them to be non-recreational, commercial or anything else.

Remotepilot101 drone school is where I am getting ready to sign up for so I can start selling my work!
I will be going into the Real Estate Sector since I live on the beach and know a lot of Realtors.

All the confusing laws aside, I would recommend getting the Part 107 just because you can. Much the same reason I have a concealed carry permit. It may be tougher or impossible in the future and if you already have one, you may be grandfathered in.

how so? i have zero intentions to fly commercial, why would i want part 107 (all the current shenanigans notwithstanding)? why would i care how difficult the test becomes over the years? would you say if you don't even own a drone that you should still get your part 107, just in case?

i think it makes sense to get a ccl even if you don't own a gun so that one day if you do decide to get one (change your mind; go from 0 to 100) then you can actually make use of it (i personally believe a gun that you can only keep at home or in your car is worthless). i assume you don't live in a free state so it makes sense to get one while your record is clean and you have the money and your government is somewhat red. without the permit, acting as if you have a permit would have serious consequences unlike if they made it nearly impossible to get a part 107 one day. in many places, getting a permit gets you all kinds of special privileges (yes, there are a few cons) but how will holding a part 107 help me over the years as i fly 100% recreational?

how so? i have zero intentions to fly commercial, why would i want part 107 (all the current shenanigans notwithstanding)? why would i care how difficult the test becomes over the years? would you say if you don't even own a drone that you should still get your part 107, just in case?

i think it makes sense to get a ccl even if you don't own a gun so that one day if you do decide to get one (change your mind; go from 0 to 100) then you can actually make use of it (i personally believe a gun that you can only keep at home or in your car is worthless). i assume you don't live in a free state so it makes sense to get one while your record is clean and you have the money and your government is somewhat red. without the permit, acting as if you have a permit would have serious consequences unlike if they made it nearly impossible to get a part 107 one day. in many places, getting a permit gets you all kinds of special privileges (yes, there are a few cons) but how will holding a part 107 help me over the years as i fly 100% recreational?
It would be a simple matter for the government to suddenly decide that there is no recreational flying of drones. That everyone must be certified. In fact, to me, this seems inevitable.

Wow! Lots of feedback, thank you!

I’m going for my Part 107 because the recreational drone laws are getting tighter, and I like the idea of being able to sell my SUAV-shot photography and videos. I see a ton of shows on TV that are clearly using SUAV moves, especially in establishing shots where you don’t need local sound (MOS) and can just throw in some music and a dog barking SFX or something. If you need ambient, you can just record it before or after the flight. Anyway, yeah, lots of good reasons for going Part 107.

I have four computer certifications and three FCC licenses. Why not add a Pilot’s Certificate? ?

Reactions: Ranger and sar104
Hey all,

I'm currently a hobbyist flier with a single (Mavic Air) SUAV.

I'm actually fairly good at passing certification exams, when there's a decent test-prep, to help me learn the material that's on the exam.

So three questions:

1) As a hobbyist who likes the idea of using LAANC, but of course LAANC isn't yet ready for hobbyist fliers, would it make sense for me to get my Part 107?

2) Does anyone know of any solid on-line test prep that's exam-like, that runs you through all the questions, explaining why questions are right/wrong? I do fairly well studying from books and materials or whatever, but exams, I need to study in an exam-like way.

3) Is there a practical exam portion of the Part 107 or is it all just written multiple-choice?

Also, do I have to go somewhere to take the exam? I'm assuming?

I'm asking these questions because it seems like a lot of laws/rules are changing over the next few months, and I'd like to make a good decision one way or the other.

No one is paying me to fly my drone, but sometimes I like to sell my pictures, so I don't know if that constitutes a "commerical use" of a drone, after the fact.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a few years all these drone rules will fall into the category of Rules and Regulations pertaining to CB radios. There will be thousands of drones in the air and the budget will not be there to have FAA people running around trying to heard cats.
There are so many out of work lawyers making rules up in coffee shops to justify their existence.
The bad guys will not worry about rules and regulations just like a bad guy gets a gun and holds up a convenience stores despite of laws on the books.
If the bad guy wants to do something bad he is not going to buy a DJI drone but get one on the black market and do what he wants.
One day we will see drones in the air delivering packages, pizza and medical supplies. People won't worry about that is flying over their heads. They will be happy to order a pizza and get it in 15 minutes!
More flying accidents are attributed to pilot judgement than to drones.
I think we are beating a dead horse. Everyone has to get into the act and throw their punches.
If the power to be want to do something useful they need to get America strong again otherwise places like North Korea, ISIS, China or Russia will drop a few nukes on a few cities while we are running around looking for people playing with their drones.
The drones normal people use are expensive toys.
We have holes in our Southern Border that are letting people into this country with all kinds of disease .
Many of them are carrying Polio, Malaria, Typhoid fever and Tuberculosis to name just a few.
Measles are spreading like wildfire throughout the country.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
People talk about images sent to China. There are more Chinese people living in the US than many others. Who cares about them getting pictures of this country when they can go to Google Earth get street views an wish they lived here.

That's my .02 worth....

Hey all,

I'm actually fairly good at passing certification exams, when there's a decent test-prep, to help me learn the material that's on the exam.

So three questions:

1) As a hobbyist who likes the idea of using LAANC, but of course LAANC isn't yet ready for hobbyist fliers, would it make sense for me to get my Part 107?

2) Does anyone know of any solid on-line test prep that's exam-like, that runs you through all the questions, explaining why questions are right/wrong? I do fairly well studying from books and materials or whatever, but exams, I need to study in an exam-like way.

3) Is there a practical exam portion of the Part 107 or is it all just written multiple-choice?

I'm asking these questions because it seems like a lot of laws/rules are changing over the next few months, and I'd like to make a good decision one way or the other.

No one is paying me to fly my drone, but sometimes I like to sell my pictures, so I don't know if that constitutes a "commerical use" of a drone, after the fact.
Laanc is up and running for recreational pilots, i’ve been using it all summer use Kittyhawk or AirMap Amongst other apps

Reactions: Thomas B
I am getting ready to take the prep course from Remote Pilot 101 to pass my Part 107 exam. Lot of people use it to pass there exams...

Hey all,

So three questions:

Did you take your exam yet?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair