DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hoe reliable is Mavic Pro or any dron in fact, really is???

bufy77

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I have Mavic for a month now.
Working all fine no issues. I had about 71 flights on my DJI GO4 app and all works perfect so far.

But still reading/seeing all those "fly away/ crashed/ unresponsive" videos/stories some pople share?!!

I am worried every flight something might go wrong.

I would say, generally I am very careful where and when i fly. But still this is a piece of machine and as we all know, whit every machine sometimes things can go wrong. It is not a toy and it could couse some serious damage.

So sometimes this rise a question in my head:.

How reliable Mavic or any dron in fact, really is ?
Should I really be worried every flight ?

Also, hypothetically: ..if I keep all my safety instruction in place and fly Mavic on empty field miles away from anybody nice weather no wind.etc. And suddenly Mavic will became unresponsive and decide to fly away on its own miles away and hit the car on motorway and casue huge damage / accidend even a death.

Who si responsible me or Dji maybe becasue it faulty product?

Any toughts on this would be apreciated?

Martin

Sent from my SM-N910F using MavicPilots mobile app

I have been into RC for over 40 years and have seen many accidents involving serious injury. 100% of them have been from operator error, doing something they should not have been doing, or flying an A/C when it wasnt performing well on the ground.

My policy is that if your aircraft isnt running well on the ground, it's not going to fix itself in the air. Better to not fly than to risk a bad flight. And with a DJI product it can be a multitude of things from software glitches to error messages, to just having a temperamental bird who decides she wants to fly some days, and other days she wont connect.

You say you have had 75 flights, how many have been bad ones? No flyaways? No crashes? Anyone hit or killed? If not, then the odds are in your favor that with proper preflight preparations, your good luck will continue. And if not, "and Like a good neighbor, State farm is there" drone insurance or at least DJI refresh and a good homeowners policy with $1,000,000 liability.

I am approaching 400 flights on DJI products, and have not had a flyaway or serious accident caused by the equipment. The only accidents I have had were flying too close to my object and then "dumb-thumbing" it and crashing, or trying to fly on a windy day.

I think it is probably normal to worry about your bird not returning since you have $1000 invested in it, but you can also buy a multitude of tracking devices just in case it should go down, you can go and find it. And Mavs are cheaper to fix than alot of its predecessors unless it goes down in the ocean.

Relax, take a deep breath, think good thoughts and remember that this is a hobby and should be fun.

Hi Buffy77

My friend, $*it happens...! why do insurance companies make huge profits..?

I have flown DJI products for over 3 years, and never had a fly away, the only time a flyaway happened to me was with a Walkera F210 racing drone, a couple of years ago.

I had messed around with the PID settings to get a "softer" feel whilst I was learning to fly FPV, on the day in question, it was quite breezy at ground level, and on this flight I was flying LOS, I got slightly disorientated whilst approaching a line of trees, and I pushed hard forward on the throttle to climb above the trees, where I then encountered a much higher wind, because I had messed around with the PID's I did not have enough power to overcome the wind and she was carried away, over the fields.
When I realised what was happening I cut the throttle, which on the Walkera stops the props and gravity took over ( No RTH on a racing drone ).

At first I thought it was a flyaway, it was only after I recovered the drone ( yes she had a very loud bleeper on board which guided me to her ) that I worked out the fact that by reducing the PID for the Pitch control I had effectively reduced Forward power to the point that the Drone could not overcome the prevailing wind.
Cause of problem *** OPERATOR ERROR ***

OK my story might not seem relevant, but in simple terms, in P-mode on the Mavic you will find the flight profile is much "Softer" than in S-mode, ie there is less power available to the props in P-mode, so in windy conditions ( generally more Wind the higher Up you fly ) you may not be able to overcome the wind if it is taking the drone away from you, switching to S-mode would increase the available power to the props, and you could bring her back.
Faced with the scenario I described, an operator might say that they had an inexplicable "Flyaway". whereas it would have been pilot error.

My take on the matter
Waylander

Yes all of the cases I've heard of so far in terms of the Mavic has been pilot error. I have not heard of any cases of mechanical, electrical or software issues bringing down a Mavic. There has been some app crashes but aircraft and controller seems fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes