DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Holiday with the mavic and keeping SD cards always empty

djoe

Reactions
I am going my first holiday next month with the Mavic and I wonder what you people do, to transfer the data from the sd cards of the mavic to a bigger one and not using the laptop, as I am not planning to take it with me. I have 3 sd cards but in case I will need more space and a backup I will know what to use. Is there something avaliable to make this possible? to transfer everything in 1 storage and keeping the mavic sd card always empty to use. I have a 2 week holiday so I will need good storage. Thanks

I have travelled internationally over the last few years and taken both a still and a video camera with me.

I have a small netbook I take and normally try to upload each evening to the netbook. I then upload via the net whenever i can to a NAS at home. This has a scheduled backup so i end up with 4 copies of my photos and Video

Reactions: grinder
Do you have an Ipad or Iphone? I use an Apple SD card reader to upload to device then can upload to YouTube, Flickr etc

Reactions: Smiffy62
I have a 3tb Western Digital My Passport Pro. It has a built in SD card reader with one touch copy feature, and it’s a really small footprint so it doesn’t take up a lot of room.
can you send me a link where I can find one please

Last edited:
I have Ipad
Buy the little apple dongle for SD cards and just copy the footage to your ipad. You can then edit with Lumafusion for example and store in the cloud if you need more space on your device

Reactions: djoe
can you send me a link where I can find one please

I hate to state the obvious but Google is great for this sort of thing. Where you buy it is going to depend on where you live.

I fly with an iPad and use that for editing when I’m on vacation (and I second the recommendation for LumaFusion). But your iPad storage is probably pretty limited compared to an external drive. Heck, the microSD card in my Mavic has the same storage as my iPad.

If you’re going to shoot a lot of video, extra cards and a portable drive are probably the way to go.

But, if you keep clearing the cards and something happens to the drive — it gets lost, stolen or the drive fails — you’ll lose all the video.

Reactions: Kilrah
You have got me wondering...

Anyone ever tried plugging a USB HDD in to a CrystalSky?

I'm thinking you could then use the CS to copy from the MicroSD over to the HDD.

I have Silicon Power rugged external shockproof A60 military grade harddrive and Surface Pro. It's 1TB, super durable, and best off it's cheap ($53 on Amazon). So far I've traveled to Thailand, Bahamas, and numerous cities in the US with it without a hiccup. I dump my SD card daily down to my Surface then backup onto external HD. My biggest fear is something happens to the drone and I loose my footage. I mean loosing the drone would be catastrophic enough, but to loose my vacation footage would seriously bum me out.

If have iOS phone or iPad get card reader for it and upload to Dropbox has 1tb for $9.95 for 1 month that's what I am doing cheapest way
It's rare that you have a decent enough internet connection to upload GBs of stuff when on holiday in a random place.

I use a RAVPower File Hub Plus with a 4TB Western Digital Passport portable hard drive. Worked great for me to take everything from my camera, gopro, video camera, and drone.

I use a RAVPower File Hub Plus with a 4TB Western Digital Passport portable hard drive. Worked great for me to take everything from my camera, gopro, video camera, and drone.

I use a 1TB Asus Travelair N...built-in 3800mA battery, Wifi hotspot to the phone and has a card reader. I think it was $99 on Amazon. It has worked well for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998