DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HOLY CAMOLY!!! I can see clearly now!

Opinions please.
I have these four in my cart but I can't decide which one will stand out best against the bright sky.

Cybernetik
Neon Fluorescent Yellow
Solid State Red
Airburst

I feel Solid State Red would be the most contrasty even though I like Cybernetik the best.
Its my understanding that red is the first colour you loose sight of with distance.
I find light colors are best broken up with black stripes or checks. Dont think any single color is going to be extra visible at long range. Plenty look good at close to medium range though
Something small like mavic is probably only really going to be visible at range with help of LEDs.

......cool, I just covered mine with Wrapgrade.......I was very skeptical about getting any kind of wrap but I am pretty happy with this and how it turned out. Now to see how it last.

WDK

Attachments

• IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
I find that some colors look different depending on the background, the suns angle and intensity but overall most colors wash out a closer distance than my strobes. Even my red and green colored strobes are harder to detect (their color) at further distances during bright daylight hours. I can see the flash but no color. I didn't like gray, so my drone has a carbon fiber black skin...very assault looking :eek:

I fly a lot of fixed wing stuff and feel the fluorescent orange and fluorescent yellow stand out quite well in normal light. In lower light, fluorescent green is highly visible. I had a plane that was fluorescent green on top and flat black on the bottom but at long distances, the whole plane looked black on the sun side of my flights. But being able to find a downed drone would probably be easier with a highly colored skin. On the flip side there are those who want stealth.

Reactions: TnDronePilot
I find that some colors look different depending on the background, the suns angle and intensity but overall most colors wash out a closer distance than my strobes. Even my red and green colored strobes are harder to detect (their color) at further distances during bright daylight hours. I can see the flash but no color. I didn't like gray, so my drone has a carbon fiber black skin...very assault looking :eek:

I fly a lot of fixed wing stuff and feel the fluorescent orange and fluorescent yellow stand out quite well in normal light. In lower light, fluorescent green is highly visible. I had a plane that was fluorescent green on top and flat black on the bottom but at long distances, the whole plane looked black on the sun side of my flights. But being able to find a downed drone would probably be easier with a highly colored skin. On the flip side there are those who want stealth.
I'm not looking to sneak up on anything just yet, right now I'm trying to learn to fly this thing ... don't even take many pictures yet..

That looks awesome. I will look for something similar (as well as a high powered strobe).
Do they weight much (just thinking they may reduce flight time)?

That looks awesome. I will look for something similar (as well as a high powered strobe).
Do they weight much (just thinking they may reduce flight time)?
The skins don't weigh much, kind of like a heavy duty decal, don't know about the lights but I may be looking into them also. I'd like to put one on each front leg, just so I can tell orientation from a distance easily..

Thanks. Are they also easily removed (it case you need to return it under warranty)?
I just put them on, haven't tried to take them off yet :D had to move a couple due to misalignment and they did that pretty easy. It says they come off and leave no residue.

That's really cool that they're flexible on the personal customization and btw, you're color combo and logo look amazing.
Thank you! I wanted to keep it simple, but still incorporate all the company colours.

Decal Girl was great to deal with and the turnaround time was roughly a week, which I think is great considering it was customer printed and shipped from the east coast of the US to northern Alberta in Western Canada. My only complaint about the M2 skin was that there wasn’t any stickers for the battery buttons. There was, however, some leftover vinyl on the pages so I stuck it on the buttons and trimmed with a razor blade. They also provided me with a .psd template for the phantom 4. Over the winter I’ll work on designing that for my P4M now that farm season is done for a few months

Reactions: TnDronePilot
What a stupid thing to discuss I tell you what , why don’t you go discuss it somewhere else!!

No kidding!!
I wonder if there is a way to “block” someone on this forum?

Hmmmm, upon doing some searching I clicked on his name and hit the IGNORE button.. hope it worksDid the same thing

Its my understanding that red is the first colour you loose sight of with distance.
I find light colors are best broken up with black stripes or checks.
Like this? I like that pattern but it just seems to dark for 400ft verticle spotting. Personally, I'm not looking for loooong range sighting ability but rather something more visable than the stupid stock gray color.

Considered applying a skin, but i worried about it lifting over time with heat. Put a really nice skin on my PS4, but it literally just fell off after a while because the console runs quite hot. The M2Z doesn't get nearly as hot, so maybe not an issue.

I'm not sure how much more visible a bright coloured skin would actually make the drone at distance, but the DJI grey is not a winner in that category. I am thinking, however, that a bright colour would definitely make it easier to find a downed drone. (I never understood putting a camo wrap on your drone)

Then again, a strobe might be better at both. My question is, would the strobe's flash be visible to the camera in low light? or close proximity to the subject. Ideally, you should be able to turn the strobe on or off as required.

My question is, would the strobe's flash be visible to the camera in low light? or close proximity to the subject. Ideally, you should be able to turn the strobe on or off as required.
I have many evening sunset pictures and it doesn't affect the shot most of the time. First I have never used forward facing strobes. I have a white strobe that faces down and slightly forward. If I get close to something like a bush, I can see the flashing on video. Also if the camera is pointed straight down, you can easily see the strobes affect on objects that are close....structures, the ground when close enough and my landing pad really lights up. But usually I can't tell the strobes are on while looking at the screen with a forward facing camera. Strobes do light up heavy dust, fog, light rain and insects though. Actually makes for a unique affect. Fortunately most of the time the skies are clear.

Reactions: Barbara
Considered applying a skin, but i worried about it lifting over time with heat. Put a really nice skin on my PS4, but it literally just fell off after a while because the console runs quite hot. The M2Z doesn't get nearly as hot, so maybe not an issue.

I'm not sure how much more visible a bright coloured skin would actually make the drone at distance, but the DJI grey is not a winner in that category. I am thinking, however, that a bright colour would definitely make it easier to find a downed drone. (I never understood putting a camo wrap on your drone)

Then again, a strobe might be better at both. My question is, would the strobe's flash be visible to the camera in low light? or close proximity to the subject. Ideally, you should be able to turn the strobe on or off as required.
It makes a HUGE difference with visibility at distance! And I mean HUGE difference. Very easy to see out to at least 800 feet and my eyes are pretty old!

Reactions: Barbara
I have many evening sunset pictures and it doesn't affect the shot most of the time. First I have never used forward facing strobes. I have a white strobe that faces down and slightly forward. If I get close to something like a bush, I can see the flashing on video. Also if the camera is pointed straight down, you can easily see the strobes affect on objects that are close....structures, the ground when close enough and my landing pad really lights up. But usually I can't tell the strobes are on while looking at the screen with a forward facing camera. Strobes do light up heavy dust, fog, light rain and insects though. Actually makes for a unique affect. Fortunately most of the time the skies are clear.
That's more or less what I expected. How visible is your strobe on a bright sunny day? And I still think it would be nice if you turn them on or off in-flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147