DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HOLY CAMOLY!!! I can see clearly now!

It makes a HUGE difference with visibility at distance! And I mean HUGE difference. Very easy to see out to at least 800 feet and my eyes are pretty old!
I'll take your word for it. My Spark was red, but only on top. Not real helpful.

How visible is your strobe on a bright sunny day? And I still think it would be nice if you turn them on or off in-flight.
Just the same as how far you can see a bright colored skin, there are limiting factors. I can see my white Arc II strobe directly facing me at about 2500' out during most flights. Besides the strobes angle, visible distance depends on the direction or position of the sun, the background, and how clear the skies are. On a few occasions I've been able to see my strobes around 4000' out... and at dusk, dawn, or night much further. Kind of a poor comparison but similar to a white strobe on a communication tower, you can see the flash long before you can see the tower. And yes it would be nice to operate the strobes from your controller but I doubt that will happen. I can turn my drones built in lights on or off but have never had to do that for video purposes. A bright colored skin is just another added safety factor to aid actual VLOS. Strobes just push it out a bit further. For the cost, both are worth having.

Reactions: Barbara
Just the same as how far you can see a bright colored skin, there are limiting factors. I can see my white Arc II strobe directly facing me at about 2500' out during most flights. Besides the strobes angle, visible distance depends on the direction or position of the sun, the background, and how clear the skies are. On a few occasions I've been able to see my strobes around 4000' out... and at dusk, dawn, or night much further. Kind of a poor comparison but similar to a white strobe on a communication tower, you can see the flash long before you can see the tower. And yes it would be nice to operate the strobes from your controller but I doubt that will happen. I can turn my drones built in lights on or off but have never had to do that for video purposes. A bright colored skin is just another added safety factor to aid actual VLOS. Strobes just push it out a bit further. For the cost, both are worth having.
Might look into getting a strobe. Hmmmm, I wonder, would it be possible to hack a payload drop device to turn the light on and off? I know you can get them for the Mavic 2. Anyone know how they're actuated?

So where did you mount that strobe? I'm thinking I would like a pair of little "aircraft landing lights" for lack of better terms, to mount forward facing for orientation, and also a strobe somewhere.. but where?

I am sure most probably already know this (as I am usually late to the game :) but there is a signup option / popup @ Decal Girl for 30% off next order. At least it was there for me and it was NOT my first time visiting the site. Not the best deal ever but 30% off is a decent discount for anyone thinking of possibly ordering. Especially from a vendor that has a decent reputation.

So where did you mount that strobe? I'm thinking I would like a pair of little "aircraft landing lights" for lack of better terms, to mount forward facing for orientation, and also a strobe somewhere.. but where?
There are a few mounting solutions out there...Aerial Pixel comes to mind. Mavic Help on this site has some good links also for various strobes. I just use velcro. The main white strobes are... one on the bottom facing down and forward and one on the back landing gear shooting level to the horizon. Each drone is different so I can't comment except for my quad. Arc-II's are wide as a quarter and slightly taller which is compact. The battery is much smaller and where I put the velcro. If you want to look more professional I'd get the mounts. If you got room the XL strobe has an alarm and are brighter. They are a bit larger and thicker but have a easier to use power switch. Alarm+strobe+bright colored skin=best VLOS & retrieval if you are forced to land. I haven't used the Arc-V yet. I will say at night they really look brilliant.

There are a few mounting solutions out there...Aerial Pixel comes to mind. Mavic Help on this site has some good links also for various strobes. I just use velcro. The main white strobes are... one on the bottom facing down and forward and one on the back landing gear shooting level to the horizon. Each drone is different so I can't comment except for my quad. Arc-II's are wide as a quarter and slightly taller which is compact. The battery is much smaller and where I put the velcro. If you want to look more professional I'd get the mounts. If you got room the XL strobe has an alarm and are brighter. They are a bit larger and thicker but have a easier to use power switch. Alarm+strobe+bright colored skin=best VLOS & retrieval if you are forced to land. I haven't used the Arc-V yet. I will say at night they really look brilliant.
Looks good.. still trying to figure out what I want to do..

BTW.. the private conversation you started with me , there is no reply button for me to reply. But I understand your feelings on the matter!

Reactions: dronerdave
In your estimation, does it look like the adhesive is going to last or do you think the edges will start rolling up over time?
I've been running DecalGirl's stuff for years (on six drones, with a seventh skin on the way for my P4Pv2 as we speak), never had a skin fail or come off prematurely. Their stuff is great, easy to work with, their customer service is friendly, and they usually ship quickly. Can't beat their selection, and if you honestly can't find something you like there, you can upload your own pic and they'll print THAT for you.

In poor visibility I attach a small led light under my Mavic 2 pro with velcro facing backwards You can always spot it and know the orientation so that when you see the light, you can pull back on the right stick to get it home.

I use skin on my Spark, BUT as I use additional landing gear it was not a good idea using skin on the arms because when I install the landing gear it interferes severely, just take that into account.

So I got a MA2 a couple weeks ago for my 65th birthday, love it but my vision is not as good as it used to be and I have a hard time seeing it sometimes. The other day I had it hovering about 30 feet in the air and about 50 feet away, I was messing with the phone screen and when I looked back up I could hardly see it against the trees in the background! Yikes. So I decided to give it an orange skin from Decalgirl skins.
Talk about a difference!!!! 1000% + Flew it in front of those same trees and it was like looking at the sun! So I did a straight away test, bout 150 feet high and just started flying it in a straight line and watching my distance meter on the screen... I could see that orange easily all the way out to 795 feet!! Bringing it back closer and just flying it around at a couple hundred or so feet it was amazing how noticeable it was now. I am so glad I skinned this thing!!View attachment 118825

View attachment 118826
Thank you!! Just ordered mine from DecalGirl. -Ollie

Reactions: A.O.
HOLY SH** (what we say in Canada). These skins look great! Will order a set now.
Thanks for the info.
cheers

• Haha
Reactions: A.O.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart