DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Houston TX Mavic Pilots

Do you guys organize meet ups?

Depends on your meaning of "meet ups". Within our group, we have people that fly several times a week (even the ones that live around the Channelview area drive to the Sugar Land area to fly). We use the groupme app to let people know when and where, so they show up and fly whenever they can.

We don't organize official meet ups on the meetup app...which is where those larger, monthly meetups take place. However, lately, they've cancelled the last two monthly meetups...even though 10-15 people still showed up.

Hello Group, i just signed up for this group. I am interested in drones and was thinking of getting a Mavic Air. Anyone in here fly near Missouri City area?

Hello all, I can't find much info relating to south texas... I'm trying to find safe places to fly around So Padre Island, Brownsville and Los Fresnos. Looks like parks are off the table and that I need to know the property owner wherever I fly... any advice to a newbie just flying to fun?

I’m here near the woodlands, but let me know if you ever want to fly up in these parts. There’s a nice park to practice at Lake Holcombe.

I just got my mavic air in the mail Sunday, took it out yesterday to lake Holcombe to play around and practice. Let me know if you ever want to meet up there and fly...

Hello all! I am new to the area, moved to the woodlands, and looking for a place to fly. I have my part 107 and own a mavic, spark, anafi and disco.

Hello all! I am new to the area, moved to the woodlands, and looking for a place to fly. I have my part 107 and own a mavic, spark, anafi and disco.

Lake Woodlands is a fun spot to fly around. I've been to Northshore Park a time or two and flown from one of the piers.

Anyone in the Pearland area. That’s where I am from but I also fly on the west side of downtown inside the loop often.

Texas seems to be pretty restrictive about flying drones. I'd like to do some flying around Buffalo Bayou -- Tinsley Park area. Has anyone applied for legal permission to do so? What's the process?
Thanks!

I live just west of downtown and fly along Buffalo Bayou. Can walk or ride my bike down there.

Same here. I live right off of Waugh Drive. I go to the park in the heights, or I drive to Kemah. I recently modded my Mavic and the RC, I get about 4 miles range even right outside of downtown, so I don’t venture far anymore.

Reactions: Vmaxhp
Texas seems to be pretty restrictive about flying drones. I'd like to do some flying around Buffalo Bayou -- Tinsley Park area. Has anyone applied for legal permission to do so? What's the process?
Thanks!

There are no restrictions around Buffalo Bayou that I am aware of. It is not in a no-fly zone and there are no signs posted. I fly there quite a bit as do a lot of other people. There is almost always at least one drone in the air on the weekends (I run along the paths quite a bit).

Reactions: goodlettjr
Just joined. Live in Sugar Land and looking at Mavic Air. I saw a video about getting a Part 107 license just to expand the areas where you can fly. I know it's for potential commercial use but have any of you done that ? Seems like a reasonable idea, study for a few weeks, take a test then your options open up.

Just joined. Live in Sugar Land and looking at Mavic Air. I saw a video about getting a Part 107 license just to expand the areas where you can fly. I know it's for potential commercial use but have any of you done that ? Seems like a reasonable idea, study for a few weeks, take a test then your options open up.
Unless you plan on selling your footage don’t bother. Far more restrictive to fly as a 107 pilot. It’s good to gather the aeronautical knowledge but means zilch when flying as a hobbyist.

Unless you plan on selling your footage don’t bother. Far more restrictive to fly as a 107 pilot. It’s good to gather the aeronautical knowledge but means zilch when flying as a hobbyist.

I'm not sure I understand why it would be more restrictive. I was thinking you could get clearance to fly in restricted airspace (Class D for instance) whereas you couldn't as a hobbyist. What are some ways it's more restrictive ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580