DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do they get rights to fly over iconic locations?

wco81

Reactions
I came across a Shutterstock image of a photo over Central Park, from Pandora Pictures, a Shutterstock user.

Their portfolio includes photos over the Thames river in London or Sydney Harbour, overlooking the Sydney Opera House.

These are all NFZ places, which I would assume is not at all available to recreational drone flights.

But in this case, this entity and other Shutterstock users are selling drone photos and videos at these forbidden locations.

So maybe they go through and get permits from these cities and other governmental agencies?

It's not cheap either. I once saw a large park south of Melbourne CBD and looked into getting right to fly and film over there. They didn't allow recreational flights, period.

But you could apply for a commercial permit and that included not only the permit application but you'd have to pay to have one of their people observe you. All in all, it looked like it would cost thousands, so it was more for film and TV productions, not even freelance photographers looking to sell a few photos and videos on Shutterstock or similar sites.

I looked up NYC drone permits and they have a $150 non-refundable permit fee but there's also the requirement to post flyers for any people who might be filmed during the drone flight?

But I don't imagine that they routinely approve permits from anyone or else they'd get a lot of permit applications, even with the $150 fee.

And for people wanting to fly for TV or film, the permit fees are probably a lot steeper.

So how do people who sell stock photos and videos get permission? Or do they not bother to get permission from cities but these stock sites will let them sell media without guarantees that they weren't captured through illegal drone flights?

Well Youtube used to be full of videos of illegal flights, like people circling Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower.

Check out 'the dronalist' on Youtube. He is always asked in the comments how he gets permission to fly in such exotic/iconic locations. He never answers the question of course. We all know why.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airgo