DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you deal with drone shyness?

I recently got a Mini 3 Pro and I've noticed the 6-7 times I've gone out to fly, I specifically choose the furthest I can be from people as to not draw any attention to myself

And when the drone is in the air, I go to the maximum height ASAP (120m) so that I don't draw any attention to it either, which is kind of nice, but in some ways limits the quality of photos I can take

How do you get over the not wanting any kind of attention part?

In my life in general I try not to attract any attention (regardless of positive or negative attention) so it kind of carries over to my drone usage it seems.
99% of people do not care. I fly (for over 3 years) my Mavic Air and Mavic 2 zoom in different cities in European Union and never got any bad comments. Sometimes people ask how much it cost. Haha

Reactions: Jam0ne
Some of you people are creating a problem for other quad-pilots.

Doing something LEGAL and "hiding" creates SUSPICION. ( Stigmatism )

I do with my quad what i bought it to do (whenever DJI APP isn't being crappy), and i have never had a negative interaction.

Get out the closet.

Rights: Use em or lose em.

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_181437_327.jpg
    IMG_20220424_181437_327.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220221_133926_040.jpg
    IMG_20220221_133926_040.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220130_174758_164.jpg
    IMG_20220130_174758_164.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 17
I recently got a Mini 3 Pro and I've noticed the 6-7 times I've gone out to fly, I specifically choose the furthest I can be from people as to not draw any attention to myself

And when the drone is in the air, I go to the maximum height ASAP (120m) so that I don't draw any attention to it either, which is kind of nice, but in some ways limits the quality of photos I can take

In my life in general I try not to attract any attention (regardless of positive or negative attention) so it kind of carries over to my drone usage it seems.
This was such a great post, thanks for it!

Reactions: shadow3467
Today on our local facebook page there was almost a witchunt, somebody flew a drone over a house in the town, And the furore..... things like shoot it down, use a slingshot, one chap proposed shooting it with a longbow and steal the memory card. Using a slingshot. Pretty ordinary behaviour! Certainly not helpful. I dont believe the drone operator had any bad intention, I think he just passed over a house going home, Unknown height.

I’m that way but only if I’m not with a spotter. For me I noticed a feeling of vulnerability being held responsible for VLOS on a multi-thousand $ drone and at the same time someone(s) can just walk up to you and start talking, or even worse, being confrontational. It’s why i like flying at or near my truck just in case i need to shut and lock the door.

I always try and fly away from people. I have my secrets spots (joke😂). If they approach, I explain when I can and always tell them I will tell you more after the flight.

I always try and fly away from people. I have my secrets spots (joke😂). If they approach, I explain when I can and always tell them I will tell you more after the flight.
As a drone owner of the Mavic Air 1, Mini 2, Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 3 ,I have never lost my fear of flying (loss of drone, hurting someone, getting arrested, having my drone confiscated at customs, etc.). I practice extreme stealth flights at every flight (hiding in shadows of trees and behind buildings, etc.). It never goes away from me. I am extremely relieved every single time my drone returns to me. That never goes away either. I do not do risky flights such as from a boat or a balcony.

I am on vacation now in Big Sky,MT and during my first flight outside of my condo I momentarily lost VLOS. I tried the RTH and it did not respond! Finally, I learned that I have to press the RTH harder on my RCPro controller. Then it returned. I breathed a big sigh of relief!

Dale

I just flew in a park in my town. Lots of curious questions, no hostility. It helps that the Mini 3 is really quiet. I ended up doing an extra flight for my MP to take video for his social media feed — which means I've finally used the quickshot video modes! :)

Chatted with a few people about regulations, licensing requirements, safety precautions, etc. Showed one lady the flight logs on my phone as well as a map showing control zones in the area. (Easy as I use Done Pilot Canada.) She's thinking of getting one herself now!

The sound of the Mini 3 makes a big difference compared to the original Mavic Mini, which sounds annoyingly like a mosquito. People 5 m away didn't hear it over their conversation.

I admit I was a bit nervous flying so close to people — something that would break Transport Canada regulations with a bigger drone — but everyone there wanted the video and I made certain never to be actually over anyone.

I learned that I have to press the RTH harder on my RCPro controller. Then it returned. I breathed a big sigh of relief!
I have often written about using the RTH and actually practicing the emergency situation. Yeah I know, I'm probably crazy, but I have actually turned off the controller so I can experience the fear and freight of losing control. Everyone should do it under controlled circumstances, when the flying area is clear of people, when the weather is good and in a large area, not your back yard (unless you have a really large back yard…). Remember, the RTH only works when the drone is at least 20-meters (66-feet) away. And when you do, even if the drone is only 5-feet off the ground, it's going to zoom all the way up to the RTH set altitude, so do not do it when you are flying under any obstructions, trees, bridges, overhangs of buildings… And also practice cancelling the RTH, you might need it, especially if people, animals, etc… might have drifted into the area after take-off. And perhaps now is the time to remind folks that if they take off from a moving surface, a boat for instance or you are hiking and you've traveled a distance from the original spot, update the RTH location. Especially if you are in a boat, the drone will RTH and find only water below…

I keep my CAA (UK) operator ID and Flyer ID on a CAA card around my neck.
I like the quote: "It's important to know where your lanyard is!" ( Agent Koenig, AGENTS OF SHIELD)
As a 30-year military veteran, may I suggest that if you are going to wear your lanyard exposed, you use a simple breakaway chain not something that could support your weight. You do not want some irate idiot saying, "Let me see it," and grab your lanyard and drag you around like a small dog on a leash…

I have only had to say this once when a busybody came up to me, I told them I am an FAA Licensed Unmanned Aircraft Vehicle Operator and authorized to fly here. If they have a problem they need to call the police. And if they do not stop bothering me, I will be calling the police as they are interfering with me flying and that I am protected by Federal Law as a licensed pilot and if I crash this drone, they will be held responsible for the incident and they will wind up paying for my drone and any damage or injuries it causes, NOW BACK OFF!

But remember, you have to be in the right or just really sure of yourself…

Reactions: Nickyb65
As a 30-year military veteran, may I suggest that if you are going to wear your lanyard exposed, you use a simple breakaway chain not something that could support your weight. You do not want some irate idiot saying, "Let me see it," and grab your lanyard and drag you around like a small dog on a leash…

I have only had to say this once when a busybody came up to me, I told them I am an FAA Licensed Unmanned Aircraft Vehicle Operator and authorized to fly here. If they have a problem they need to call the police. And if they do not stop bothering me, I will be calling the police as they are interfering with me flying and that I am protected by Federal Law as a licensed pilot and if I crash this drone, they will be held responsible for the incident and they will wind up paying for my drone and any damage or injuries it causes, NOW BACK OFF!

But remember, you have to be in the right or just really sure of yourself…
that's a good tip, thanks

• Love
Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser