DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you handle people who tell you you're not allowed to fly your drone, when you know it's allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangerly

Reactions
Yesterday someone approached me as I was landing and told me I wasn't allowed to fly my drone where I was, but I knew it was allowed. I won't get into the details of why I think I was allowed and the other person didn't think so, because that's not the point of this question. My question is about how you handle people who approach you like this. I imagine this has happened to many other folks. What did you do or would you do?

I haven't had this yet but it would very much depend on how the person approached me.

If they approach me calmly and with respect, I would show them the LAANC authorisation I have (assuming one is needed) and say that the FAA have authorised flying in this location for me. I would show that there are no other local ordinances that would restrict flying at the location i'm at, and then ask them what their concern is. I'd try to engage their interest in drones; talk about how cheaply they can be picked up for recreational flying and the fun that can be had when flying legally and responsibly.

I feel that these people usually come from a place of fear and the unknown, and educating them can be rewarding for both sides.

If they came at me angrily then i'd think it's probably best to leave. It would not be a hill i'd be willing to die on.

I pull out a piece of galvanized pipe, whack 'em in the shins a few times, stick my tongue out at them and blow a soaking wet raspberry, then run away.

'Been featured on MSNBC as, "most immature drone pilot in America". I was depressed no one saw it 'cause... MSNBC.

😁

IF I have someone approach me like that I might say "Sorry, but you're wrong. I'm an FAA certified pilot an quite familiar with the rules and FAA jurisdiction covers everything from one foot off the ground all the way up". Then, depending on rudeness and obstinance of the other party. I might add, "you are making it unsafe to fly and if I crash while you're bothering me we're going to have a problem that I don't think you want". I always want to stay polite, not to exacerbate the situation. But I for one cannot tolerate know-nothing "experts".

Idk if I really agree with any of the responses here. It seems everyone would try to prove that they're right and from what I've experienced, that never works. It really depends on the person though. Some, just think they're right but they're open to correction. Most often, they're dead set on them being right and nothing you can say will convince them. Personally, I'd just leave and come back some other time to get the job done instead of sit there and argue and leave with no video, in a bad mood, and with nothing accomplished for the time wasted. Just my personal opinion.

I like your answer, but how do you do this, that is, prove something doesn't exist (there are no ordinances)?
In truth you're right in that it's much harder to prove a negative than a positive.

I'd find the ordinances for the area you are in and then extrapolate from there.

For instance, the LA City ordinances are here - http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2015/15-0927_misc_09-17-2015.pdf

And in them it says:

No Person shall operate any Model Aircraft within the City of Los Angeles and within 5 miles of an airport without the prior express authorization of the airport air traffic control tower.

So I would show that I had LANC authorisation to fly there in that instance.

Showing the airmap for the area can help too. If the airspace you are in is above public land, and not controlled airspace, then you're reasonably expected to be OK too.

In my native UK, National trust (heritage and protected buildings and areas) have a policy where you can't take off or land on their property, but you can fly over them. These sort of rules are usually available on their websites or on signs near/in the property.

The FAA has rules about drone operation too - https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

And it gives you details on where you can and cannot fly.

With regards to how you prove the negative, I make a best effort (usually via Google search) to find any local ordinances that might apply to the place I'm flying. For example, in Lexington, MA there is a local restriction that prevents launching from athletic fields or from the "Battle Green". I generally don't fly over those areas even if I legally can from, say, the sidewalk, because I like to stay on good terms with my neighbors. That said, if someone challenges me where I have made a best effort to make sure I am legal I would take an approach similar to @Pondhopper, with the assumption that it is the other person's responsibility to cite whatever rule they think I've missed. Though I also might ask them, in the interest of safety, to hold off the discussion until I have a change to land. But I'm not going to get into an argument, and would likely leave if the situation got heated.

With regards to how you prove the negative, I make a best effort (usually via Google search) to find any local ordinances that might apply to the place I'm flying. For example, in Lexington, MA there is a local restriction that prevents launching from athletic fields or from the "Battle Green". I generally don't fly over those areas even if I legally can from, say, the sidewalk, because I like to stay on good terms with my neighbors. That said, if someone challenges me where I have made a best effort to make sure I am legal I would take an approach similar to @Pondhopper, with the assumption that it is the other person's responsibility to cite whatever rule they think I've missed. Though I also might ask them, in the interest of safety, to hold off the discussion until I have a change to land. But I'm not going to get into an argument, and would likely leave if the situation got heated.
Thanks PRD, you gave me an idea. I'm thinking I'll print out everything I can find to support my position that I'm allowed to fly in a particular location, put it in a hard-bound notebook labeled "Why I'm allowed to fly here" and leave it plainly visible where I'm flying. As I fly in new locations, I could add new sections to this notebook. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. It would be a good exercise to do anyway I think.

..."Why I'm allowed to fly here" and leave it plainly visible where I'm flying...
I'm curious as to if you're leaving it plainly visible for anyone wondering why you're there to read it?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I'm curious as to if you're leaving it plainly visible for anyone wondering why you're there to read it?
I haven't done this yet, but I think I'd leave it visibly there so people know I'm prepared to address their concerns. If I'm flying, I could invite them over to grab and read, while admonishing them not to disturb me until I land. Otherwise I could offer to give it to them to review. I'm thinking that doing this will calm their anxiety and address their concerns.

The thing is, I actually want random folks to challenge drone pilots, because there's a hella pilots where I live flying where they don't belong, over people, crowded cities, state parks, and so on. I actually appreciate people checking that I'm legal.

Well, I may get some grief for my view on this, but it's my general view that there are know-nothing busy-bodies everywhere, and I have what I feel are quite socially reasonable limits as to how much effort I will go to to keep them at bay.

setting up a display showing my credentials, and/or local rules, etc. crosses that line for me, by quite a distance.

If, after, quite briefly, I descend to a safe altitude, pause, and explain to them why I'm legal flying there, and they don't accept that and stop interfering with a pilot currently operating a remote aircraft, my next statement is to tell them then to call the police.

If they continue to interfere, I'll tell them I'm calling the police, and start taking pictures of people.

Well, I may get some grief for my view on this, but it's my general view that there are know-nothing busy-bodies everywhere, and I have what I feel are quite socially reasonable limits as to how much effort I will go to to keep them at bay.

setting up a display showing my credentials, and/or local rules, etc. crosses that line for me, by quite a distance.

If, after, quite briefly, I descend to a safe altitude, pause, and explain to them why I'm legal flying there, and they don't accept that and stop interfering with a pilot currently operating a remote aircraft, my next statement is to tell them then to call the police.

If they continue to interfere, I'll tell them I'm calling the police, and start taking pictures of people.
That's totally understandable! Let me tell you what I did yesterday, and let me know how this would be for you if you were me.

The interaction happened just as I was landing so I could talk without being distracted. It was a husband/wife pair that stopped by, and the husband was the know-nothing busy-body. After I explained to him why I was allowed to fly there, he asserted that the class G airspace ocean that I was flying over was part of a state park, which wasn't true. The details don't matter, because my point is that the husband kept arguing with me. I turned to the wife and asked, "What do you think of what your husband is saying?" She replied with this gem: "He's being a pain in the ***." And with that, she grabbed his arm and they walked away. It was especially gratifying for me.

The majority of responses are coming from California which is interesting enough (because it happens a lot . . . A LOT)! I tell people I am flying a mission with serious cost implications and limited battery life for this conversation. If they persist, I tell them to contact LE.

Yes, print out everything. I have a flight bag with the following (these are for LEO's):

* Flight Plan specific to that area
* Skyvector map of that area
* LAANC Approval as needed
* Basic description of Airspace (Classes B-G)
* AMA Safety Guidelines and Protocols
* Copy of Insurance
* FAA CFR 107 Regulations
* Local regulations
* Aircraft specifications
EDIT: I for got to add my Pre-flight Checklist

I keep clipped to my person (ID badge style):

* TRUST Certificate
* Aircraft FAA Registration Card
* Part 107 Airman's Certificate

Last edited:
Like many here, I try to be as polite as possible, but I'm relatively unimpressed by control freaks. If someone is interested in my drone and flight, I'll happily spend time with them and explain everything they want to know. If it's some control freak trying to exert authority, I'm under no obligation whatsoever to explain anything.

My first question would be, "And Sir or Madam, what authority do you have to hinder me in my flight?" Unless they show me a badge or FAA credential, they can take a hike!

Well @Skywatcher2001, I harbor no criticism of your approach, and admire it.

It's just way too much for my lazy arse.

The extent to which I "prepare" for a flight is to check airspace restrictions beforehand, every time. Caught a TFR that wasn't in the DJI flysafe DB, so didn't fly (there).

Other than that, I just fly. I have all pertinent docs with me, for an LEO if necessary. As one who is generally of the mindset of the original "Don't Tread on Me" American flag, and take a rather dim, uncooperative view towards ignoramuses that think they're in a position to argue with me, my attitude is I'm gonna ignore you (gonna shout) WHILE I HAVE A DRONE IN THE SKY, AND I HAVE TO FLY IT SAFELY!!!

EpicFlight I feel you. I don't want to either but I kinda have to. And it's only for LEOs. I do not provide this to ordinary nosy people.

Reactions: SoCal2S and rx7ward
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman