DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you handle people who tell you you're not allowed to fly your drone, when you know it's allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this happen in public space where I was flying over whats going to be the new Amazon warehouse or Fakebook building in Mesa, AZ. He approached me and told me I can't fly over their construction area. Here's the video link to the confrontation.
Thanks for your service!!!

I have had many come and approach me but when they get close enough to me to read my safety vest or one of my tow t-shirts they almost never bother me. My vest which is florescent yellow and has on the back A large and in block black letters FAA certified and licensed commercial pilot and flown under PT.107. PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB

My t-shirts pretty much say the same thing. My vest has a place where I keep a copy of my drone registration, my trust cert and my part 107 ticket.

I have only had to explain one time abo9ut my right to fly but almost all that took the time to wait for me to land asked just the usual curiosity about what type of drone, brand, $$$ and just curiosity and how can they get started in the hobby. I have found that taking the time to explain has turned what could have been a confrontational time and turned it into an educational opportunity in a very non confrontational way has actually turned some into fans.

Also can’t tell you how many times I have herd, my son, my neighbor, cousin, brother and you name it fly drones. I always ask them if they know if their PEERSOn has registered their drones and try to explain the regs concerning what does and does not have to be registered and general rules for safe flying and inference between recreational vs commercial part 107 pilot Have had police approach and I tell them I am a ticked commercial pilot and to let me land safely land and i can show them my paper work. My few LEO encounters have ended with fans and no cuffs ;-}

I haven't had this yet but it would very much depend on how the person approached me.

If they approach me calmly and with respect, I would show them the LAANC authorisation I have (assuming one is needed) and say that the FAA have authorised flying in this location for me. I would show that there are no other local ordinances that would restrict flying at the location i'm at, and then ask them what their concern is. I'd try to engage their interest in drones; talk about how cheaply they can be picked up for recreational flying and the fun that can be had when flying legally and responsibly.

I feel that these people usually come from a place of fear and the unknown, and educating them can be rewarding for both sides.

If they came at me angrily then i'd think it's probably best to leave. It would not be a hill i'd be willing to die on.
This is a very nice way of handling it, indeed!!!😊👌

The majority of responses are coming from California which is interesting enough (because it happens a lot . . . A LOT)! I tell people I am flying a mission with serious cost implications and limited battery life for this conversation. If they persist, I tell them to contact LE.

Yes, print out everything. I have a flight bag with the following (these are for LEO's):

* Flight Plan specific to that area
* Skyvector map of that area
* LAANC Approval as needed
* Basic description of Airspace (Classes B-G)
* AMA Safety Guidelines and Protocols
* Copy of Insurance
* FAA CFR 107 Regulations
* Local regulations
* Aircraft specifications
EDIT: I for got to add my Pre-flight Checklist

I keep clipped to my person (ID badge style):

* TRUST Certificate
* Aircraft FAA Registration Card
* Part 107 Airman's Certificate
Such a great idea having all these things clipped to you. I think I'm gonna copy your modus operandi!! 🙏😁

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Well, In Australia I keep the following in my EFB, the electronic flight bag, but prefer to have a paper copy as well.
  1. JSA,
  2. Risk Assessment,
  3. RPAS Operational Release Form,
  4. RPAS Authorisation, re: CASR 101-09,
  5. Flight Authorisation,
  6. Pre-operational Briefing (printed copy and a pen),
  7. MET weather report,
  8. RePL license.
I can also address that person to CASA drone complaints web site if they wish to proceed.

Reactions: AnzacJack
Yesterday someone approached me as I was landing and told me I wasn't allowed to fly my drone where I was, but I knew it was allowed. I won't get into the details of why I think I was allowed and the other person didn't think so, because that's not the point of this question. My question is about how you handle people who approach you like this. I imagine this has happened to many other folks. What did you do or would you do?
People like that have control issues. He may be under the impression that if he doesn't like you doing something, you are not allowed to do it. If you were on his property, or flying over his property, he'd have a point.
I like the tiny drones they use in Marvel's Agents of Shield. About 4" and silent. My DJI Mini 2 sounds like a turbine. I'm right up against a no-fly zone, but DJI Fly lets me know for sure. I have to check out the nearby park. No soccer players there. I'm hoping to hone my cinematic skills. I wish there was a book specific to the Mini 2 on the subject.

Ken

Yesterday someone approached me as I was landing and told me I wasn't allowed to fly my drone where I was, but I knew it was allowed. I won't get into the details of why I think I was allowed and the other person didn't think so, because that's not the point of this question. My question is about how you handle people who approach you like this. I imagine this has happened to many other folks. What did you do or would you do?
I always try to be as polite and nice as possible. If a person/people approach me while I am still flying. I ask them to wait until I return the drone and land safely, and then I will happy to answer any of their questions.

This is not always helpful if you are trying to stay on schedule, if you are flying as a commercial pilot. The quicker I get the job done the better money I am making.
This is why I usually find a spot where people can't see me and/or approach me. I will be across the street or a least a few 100 yards away. I don't wear a bright safety vest or have a bright orange landing pad either. As long as I can maintain VLOS, I am good and the people passing by can point at my drone but they do not know where I am. Sounds unsociable but it works most of the time. Until, remote ID goes into effect then, someone is going to create an app for the general public and if I have a newer drone they will be able to locate me.

Just always be nice, be respectful and polite. Don't start reciting rules and regulations, that will just irritate them more. If you absolutely can not calm them down, try and walk away with your equipment. If that does not work, tell them to call the police and you will gladly wait until they arrive. Or you could simply call the police as a last ditch effort.

My hi vis jacket with "Certified Civil Aviation Authority Drone Pilot" in capitals front and back, seems to have prevent any such approach. I've had one or two marching towards me, but when they get within reading distance, they hesitate and beat a sheepish retreat. It can be quite funny sometimes: It's the sophisticated equivalent of having F.Off! written on my hi-vis jacket (and no doubt more effective). I affectionately refer to it as my F.O. jacket - for that reason ;). .......which my wife thinks stands for "Flight Operator" by-the-way, so I trust you guys not to tell her 🤞☺️

My response would be: "if you have a problem with me flying here, call the police".

I am not under any obligation to explain myself to anyone except a law enforcement officer. For that person only, would I go through any explanations or provide documentation.

Reactions: BobbyBob
You may want to try the Socratic approach, ask probing questions to get to their underlying beliefs or concerns. For example, you might ask them, politely, can you share with me where it says I cannot fly in this area?

Most people are truly ignorant when it comes to drone regulations. Almost everyone that approached me over the last four years was simply curious. If someone says "Cannot fly here", prepare to land promptly but ask for reasonable space. Once on the ground, show them your credentials and ask for the information source. All of us should be prepared, respectfully, to show our smart phone apps with authorized flying zones. These days, you might be right. But, you could be dead right.

My response would be: "if you have a problem with me flying here, call the police".

I am not under any obligation to explain myself to anyone except a law enforcement officer. For that person only, would I go through any explanations or provide documentation.
Yep, I can see the logic. They don't have the authority to demand any documentation or explanation. How would they feel we you asked them to produce their dog license, or evidence of their right to be in the country etc...

Yep, I can see the logic. They don't have the authority to demand any documentation or explanation. How would they feel we you asked them to produce their dog license, or evidence of their right to be in the country etc...
And after all that is done and they call the police and you are given the ok to keep flying you could tell the person "I hope you picked up your dog poop. There's a sign over saying you have to". 😁

• Haha
Reactions: BobbyBob
Some people have a screw loose. There is no real great way to reason with them. This young man did fine, I would have lost it and gone off on the guy if he was talking to me like this. "They call it pepping Tomism" 🤣🤣🤣

Some people have a screw loose. There is no real great way to reason with them. This young man did fine, I would have lost it and gone off on the guy if he was talking to me like this. "They call it pepping Tomism" 🤣🤣🤣

That lad handled the situation brilliantly. He didn't mirror the guys aggression at all, which is brilliant (and rare), and politely and respectfully stood his ground. Nicely done.

There is only one correct response to someone like this, and note the utter absence of addressing HIS issue at all:
"Help! Help! You are assaulting me, and I am afraid for my safety. Get away from me, or I will call 911. I am recording your assault on me!"​

Repeat over the top of anything they say. Do not let them get a word in.

Yes, it feels extreme, but a few facts:
  • You do not have the option to clock the dude.
  • Arguing with them won't work... That's what they want. By confronting you, they've already shown a confrontation and argument is a price they're willing to pay.
  • Give them a reason to disengage and walk away. Getting caught up with the police in an assault charge will always do it. Your showing, out of the gate, your eager to take this much farther than they are, believe me.
Try to be nice and explain where they're wrong WON'T WORK. They already know. How many times do you think this jerk has tried this, and been corrected? They just want things their way, even when they know they have no right. They use aggression and intimidation to try to force what they want. They're narcissists.
"Try to be nice and explain where they're wrong WON'T WORK. They already know. How many times do you think this jerk has tried this, and been corrected? They just want things their way, even when they know they have no right. They use aggression and intimidation to try to force what they want. They're narcissists."

If you apply that blanket condemnation to every unknown person you encounter while flying, shout that you're being assaulted, and threaten to call the police I think the response you'll get is pretty predictable.

That kind of categoric negative assumption is just as bad as someone saying that all drone pilots are sexual voyeurs who are spying on them.

If police are only reactive and not proactive, the system / society is broken then.
If you haven't already noticed with what happened in Seattle etc we are as a society broken.
When was the last time you saw someone get a ticket. The police are afraid to do their job and although I don't approve of it I don't blame them because they will be sued or persecuted.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
If you haven't already noticed with what happened in Seattle etc we are as a society broken.
When was the last time you saw someone get a ticket. The police are afraid to do their job and although I don't approve of it I don't blame them because they will be sued or persecuted.

True, I watch from this side of the world and see parts of what's happened / happening there, and recognise it's starting here too in its early stages.
Political correctness is a starting point.
I certainly wonder how / why people want to be a front line law enforcement officer in the US, you are in huge danger day to day front line from all sorts of nefarious well armed folk, then have to watch your back from your own team if you are deemed to make a 'mistake'.

Of course there are good and bad in everything, but in general I'd say most are doing (wanting to do) their duty in a responsible, helpful, and civil way.
I guess some get sick of the situation where people think they can do whatever they want and no real consequences, the offenders have little fear left.

Reactions: Frank Dracman
True, I watch from this side of the world and see parts of what's happened / happening there, and recognise it's starting here too in its early stages.
Political correctness is a starting point.
I certainly wonder how / why people want to be a front line law enforcement officer in the US, you are in huge danger day to day front line from all sorts of nefarious well armed folk, then have to watch your back from your own team if you are deemed to make a 'mistake'.

Of course there are good and bad in everything, but in general I'd say most are doing (wanting to do) their duty in a responsible, helpful, and civil way.
I guess some get sick of the situation where people think they can do whatever they want and no real consequences, the offenders have little fear left.
Very well put. I didn't notice where you were from. My best friend is in Adelaide he usually comes out here twice a year (not recently) he was out last month (he booked his flight the day he was allowed to). He tells me the same thing about what's happening over there. It's amazing how the US can do everything wrong and everyone sees the results but they still follow in our footsteps.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu