DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you handle people who tell you you're not allowed to fly your drone, when you know it's allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I wear a vest that has "Certified FAA Pilot" etc. on it and this seems to keep most grouches away but it seems to invite the curious and that is okay unless I'm on a job.

Reactions: Crow Horse
I had this happen in public space where I was flying over whats going to be the new Amazon warehouse or Fakebook building in Mesa, AZ. He approached me and told me I can't fly over their construction area. Here's the video link to the confrontation.
Probably a common occurrence. He just doesn't know.

Yesterday someone approached me as I was landing and told me I wasn't allowed to fly my drone where I was, but I knew it was allowed. I won't get into the details of why I think I was allowed and the other person didn't think so, because that's not the point of this question. My question is about how you handle people who approach you like this. I imagine this has happened to many other folks. What did you do or would you do?
I usually show them my part 107 License and the FAA Approved Apps that regulate the Airspace and if that doesn’t convince them then I tell them that I’m bringing it back so I can leave! It also helps you immensely if they don’t see you take off!

Good morning to all-
I really can't reply in any meaningful way to this conversation. I don't fly in metropolitan areas, and the only time I have flown over groups of people, was at the "Field Day" at our local elementary school- at the request of the organizer of said event. The kids were great- many offered to fly my drone me, because ." I had a drone just like that one and it was great until it crashed.. Can I fly YOUR drone?"
I have never had anyone question my right to fly, and the rare times I had any contact with others at all, these walkers and riders were extremely interested in what I was doing.
So I have had no problems at all. I guess it's just where I choose to fly, right?

good day to all- Ed

Yesterday someone approached me as I was landing and told me I wasn't allowed to fly my drone where I was, but I knew it was allowed. I won't get into the details of why I think I was allowed and the other person didn't think so, because that's not the point of this question. My question is about how you handle people who approach you like this. I imagine this has happened to many other folks. What did you do or would you do?
Most people fear what they don't understand and/or don't know what it is about. You can now take drones and multiply that by ten. Drones start out of the gate with a bad rap. That is because peoples first recollection of drones was the Predator drone, used for spying and eventually bombing and killing.

If you start spouting off drone rule and regulations, talking about the FAA and LAANC authorization, they are going to get defensive and aggressive right back at you.
You job is to be nice.... Take the time to educate them about what and how drones are used today. Show them how they work, show them the images/video you just captured. If you have a YouTube channel, show them your work. If you have a business card, give them one. If you are recreational everything above still works, except for maybe the business card. But take the time to be the good drone shepard, all of us drone pilots benefit from it.

It works, please trust me when I tell you this. It has happened to me countless times and 9 times out of 10, I walk away with a new friend and some of them go on to get drones of their own.

I just explain nicely that it is allowed. And then where it’s not allowed. I also fly my drone away from a lot of close contact with people. Sometimes I’ll say wave at the camera. This lets them know it’s just a camera. If that doesn’t do it, they’re either jerks or uninformed on the law. Quite honestly I get more interest from people than not. Most people are nice if you’re nice to them.

You job is to be nice.... Take the time to educate them about what and how drones are used today. Show them how they work, show them the images/video you just captured. If you have a YouTube channel, show them your work. If you have a business card, give them one. If you are recreational everything above still works, except for maybe the business card. But take the time to be the good drone shepard, all of us drone pilots benefit from it.

It works, please trust me when I tell you this. It has happened to me countless times and 9 times out of 10, I walk away with a new friend and some of them go on to get drones of their own.

So much this. You have a golden opportunity to show people that drone pilots are not jerks and dispell some of the false preconceptions and concerns people have about what drones can do - don't waste it!

It doesn't hurt to have cribsheet of the rules handy for busybodies, but I've always kept that as a last resort and so far I've never had to use it. As long as you're courteous with just a touch on confidence that you know what you are doing, and are not evasive or confrontational (be sure to show them some footage and/or the RC screen), it ought to be a positive encounter for all concerned. Especially if you can find some other common ground (e.g. the local area, nature, tech, photography), and get a conversation going.

I don't get approached too often because I'm pretty discrete and tend to fly mostly in rural locations around sunrise/sunset, but even so I've left more than one encounter with some information on new locations to photograph.

As you can imagine I take a Different approach to People as I do the Police.

The Police I just move without interference of any kind. No proof of anything.

People : Now that is different, there coming based on HATE/ ANGER / CONFUSION so i negotiate this quite differently.

I let them know that I am flying to determine that the area is safe for Search and Rescue with a drone . I tell them I am checking Sats , GPS , winds Ect . My goal is to fly for 1 hour without issue. Round 1

Round 2 if needed is to explain that Search and Rescue is used to find lost children, elderly people , pets , and calls violence , screaming.

Round 3 : Thanks for all the questions and a chance to talk about my passion and I leave.

Thinking outside the box has always worked for me , it helps me that that the Drones have the Wet Suit as I use that to say that many search and rescue missions are when the Weather is Extreme.

Screenshot 08-11-2020 19.43.10.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , Search and Rescue

Last edited:
It's the way things are these days, most people think they have the right to tell u what u can & can't do, even when they obviously have no idea about rules themselves. It's happened a few times to me, they usually ask, " do u have a licence to fly that thing. " .
It's gotten worse over the last couple of years, We have all seen those mask nazi videos, can't believe how bad its getting over there, u can't even wear a Trump cap without getting harassed.

I have a strong opinion and would love to weigh in on this, but I'm pretty sure we're in the kind of political restricted area that is going to get the thread shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61