DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How do you protect your Mini 2 props? (poll)

What are you using to protect your props?

• DJI Prop Holder

Votes: 32 65.3%
  • RCGEEK Silicone Prop Covers

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • SunnyLife Prop Clip

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Nothing

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Something else (tell us what you're using below)

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
In my quest for the smallest travel case possible, I found a lens bag that holds all the important stuff (xmitter, drone, extra bat). Still working out some fit issues, but for now I keep the Mini in a 3D printed case that I modified to except loose-fitting prop holders to keep things in order (base designs from Thingiverse).

PXL_20201201_185725806.jpgPXL_20201201_190841267.jpgPXL_20201201_185838489.jpgPXL_20201201_185854744.jpgPXL_20201201_185918685.jpg

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
In my quest for the smallest travel case possible, I found a lens bag that holds all the important stuff (xmitter, drone, extra bat). Still working out some fit issues, but for now I keep the Mini in a 3D printed case that I modified to except loose-fitting prop holders to keep things in order (base designs from Thingiverse).

View attachment 118241View attachment 118246View attachment 118242View attachment 118243View attachment 118248
I have change to print those holders too. Works well on mini 2 those design?

I have change to print those holders too. Works well on mini 2 those design?
Yes, the mini 2 fits well into the rosscadguy glove case, but I did not like how difficult it was to hold the floppy props in the correct position while putting into the case, so I modified both the case and xyro's holders to fit. Note- these holders are not truly stand-alone, as they will not "snap" onto the motors, as I didn't like the idea of a continuous force pulling the together, but they fit tightly enough to stay in place with the case.
This is my first usable draft at the design mod, improvements are forthcoming. Follow the directions as the original designers stated.

Attachments

• Mini2CaseDPmodV4.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 9
Reactions: jonitus
Yes, the mini 2 fits well into the rosscadguy glove case, but I did not like how difficult it was to hold the floppy props in the correct position while putting into the case, so I modified both the case and xyro's holders to fit. Note- these holders are not truly stand-alone, as they will not "snap" onto the motors, as I didn't like the idea of a continuous force pulling the together, but they fit tightly enough to stay in place with the case.
This is my first usable draft at the design mod, improvements are forthcoming. Follow the directions as the original designers stated.
Okay. Big thanks for this ??

The Mini 2 props are fragile and not easily detachable, so it's important to keep them protected when not flying. What are you using to protect your props?

Here are a few of the most commonly used prop protectors:

1. DJI Prop Holder

Fully encloses bottom props. Top props are held in place with a buckle. See more details here.

View attachment 117947

2. RCGEEK Silicone Prop Covers

Two piece, soft silicone material. Completely encloses props to protect them. See more details here.

View attachment 117948

3. SunnyLife Prop Clip

Soft silicon buckles wraps around drone and snaps to securely hold the props in place. See more details here.

View attachment 117949
When I saw the thread I initially thought "prop cage". :) But now that I'm on the same page in terms of the question, I have tried the RC Geek one, the new DJI one and my own homegrown method.

I have leg extensions that I keep on my Mini(s) which makes using the RCG or DJI cradles a little more complicated. The RC Geek one didn't work for me, but the DJI one does. However I have had to lengthen the strap with a velcro extension. It's not as secure as the buton fastener, but it works. The front end of the DJI cradle tucks in behing the gimbal where the bottom of the RCG extends over the motors of the rear legs when folded so really doesn't work with leg extensions installed. I never returned it and still have it in the box. Maybe there is a way to modify it to I'll like it better than the DJI one?

The homegrown method is a little spartan, but it works. Since I already have velcro mounted on the bottom for a strobe, I put a strip of velcro on the gimbal cover and then use an opposing piece of velcro with the bottom props forward as well as the top props. In the case I use a "belly pad" so that the Mini rests on it's belly rather than potentially on the props. I went to this system immediately after warping my first set of props and have never had a problem with props again. Below is a photo of my "tie-down" system. It might be worth noting that I never concerned myself about being over 250 gms as I did FAA registration on day 1 so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Going forward I am most likely to use the DJI cradle (with strap extension) as it will work with my Mini 2 and will eliminate some of the extra velcro on the Mini itself.

MavicMini_prop-tiedown.jpg

As I found it difficult to make sure that the props would be secure in the FMC bag, I modified and printed these ones (link). They are a bit fiddly to get on, but they do the job. The upside is that they weight next to nothing and fit within the space available in the FMC bag.

The ad looks pretty good. It says free shipping over $25.00.
I figured it was cheap enough to try on my MM. So, I ordered it, used my prime points and they gave me free shipping anyway. Supposed to arrive Sunday 12/17. I will offer my opinion when they arrive.

I do not have a mini (I have M2Pro), and before that, Mavic Air 1. Have always used a rubber band. Never a problem. Same original props after a year.
I've been leary of putting any pressure on the props during storage even with the M2, and particularly in the FMK bag. I take them off when packing.
Probably not nearly as much of a problem warning and even if it warps some, FC can compensate but even a little warp probably can noticably affect the flight.

I still say if you fold the props correctly, the MM1 FMC case is not a problem. A year has gone by with original props and MM1 is still stable.

The props may still deform and be less efficient with that. The FC can compensate though and allow normal flight, but might be just a bit less precise in handling in flight.

That's why I take off my props when storing in the FMK bag.
Be sure to add some locktite each time you thread the prop screws.

The props may still deform and be less efficient with that. The FC can compensate though and allow normal flight, but might be just a bit less precise in handling in flight.

That's why I take off my props when storing in the FMK bag.
Be sure to add locktite each time you thread the prop screws.

I modified a horizontal carry bag to raise the stowed front landing feet off the floor and prevent the underside from touching the bag. It’s a snug fitting foam insert, so there is no shifting in the bag once it’s in place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_