DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How does Cine model have 1TB SSD for 4 grams?

jonatious

Reactions
The weight difference between the standard M3 and M3C is just 4 grams. How is that possible when the SSD weighs mostly about 100+ grams (incorrect number)? What is the hidden compromise? Does it have smaller battery or something?

Last edited:
The weight difference between the standard M3 and M3C is just 4 grams. How is that possible when the SSD weighs mostly about 100+ grams? What is the hidden compromise? Does it have smaller battery or something?
Great observation! Maybe the normal version has it too but it has to be unlocked?

There are different form factors of M.2 SSDs and none of them weigh anywhere near 100g. For example a Samsung 980 Pro, which is not the smallest form factor, weighs 9.0g. Some are around 6.0g. It's a totally insignificant weight difference in the grand scheme of things. They are also expensive enough that it's incredibly unlikely DJI is putting them in every drone and deactivating them on the non-Cine models. Even the huge 2.5" SATA SSDs don't weigh anywhere near 100g, most of them are about 50g.

Last edited:
Reactions: crlmjohnson
There are different form factors of M.2 SSDs and none of them weigh anywhere near 100g. For example a Samsung 980 Pro, which is not the smallest form factor, weighs 9.0g. Some are around 6.0g. It's a totally insignificant weight difference in the grand scheme of things. They are also expensive enough that it's incredibly unlikely DJI is putting them in every drone and deactivating them on the non-Cine models. Even the huge 2.5" SATA SSDs don't weigh anywhere near 100g, most of them are about 50g.
My bad, I got confused. But 1TB SSD for 4g is pretty cool

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Drone design ethos is all about saving weight. This certainly isn't going to be 2.5" drive like you'd put in a bay. It might be one of the M.2 formats shown on this page, which resemble a memory module, but it's also possible that DJI has put the memory chip and controller directly onto a board of their own design, in which case it could potentially require as much space as a thumb drive, only without the case.

Ssd cards are very light weight. Depending on the design and development, you can design the memory chips as part of the main circuit board. Sorry I did not read the last post before I posted.

Reactions: spetersen
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu