DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long before preventative laws make drone flying as boring as everything else again?

I remain confused about the Firmware Restriction thingy

I had the luck to read here first about the restrictions, so I just ignored the firmware popups
regarding Flight zones.
I got the Red Bar saying I had to update, but i just ignored it (and the popups).
They no longer show up now, which is weird too.

The flight check says "firmware Abnormal", but it certainly isnt limiting flight or program functions
And more importantly, isnt making me register anywhere, as im told you have to.

Is it possible all you have to do is not update iTunes...
I mean Dji GO :p. Perhaps is an FAA thing?

He gets a CPU overload warning and the video freezes up. Two guys have told me this same problem after the updated a few weeks ago. They say DJI updates are always full of bugs at first.

if it aint broke dont fix it

I agree with you. I too am in Canada, and I am also a gun owner. I collect Colt Single action Army's. I have 68 handguns and 14 long guns and I can use any of them with less problems or restrictions than I can fly my drones.

What the laughable Transport Minister has done to our drone hobby is criminal but there's little we can do about it. Organizations have popped up all over Canada to fight these laws and very little has been done. Sure we've got some of them changed but really, nothing is a whole lot better than it was.

We are limited to 500 meters distance and a 90 meter altitude. Isn't that just wonderful? Drone flying in Canada is a joke with the threat of a $3,000. for some violations.

I lost all enthusiasm for drones but still fly when I can, but the real fun is gone. When these drones of mine are done, so am I. Flying drones is no longer enjoyable here in Canada.

Bud

I agree with everyone that safe, legal flight areas are extremely boring after after a few flights. What can we do??? Our hobby is in such a sad state and getting worse and worse. I am speaking of Canada but could easily apply this all over the world. Is this the death of the drone or uav for consumers? Soon it will just be the government and police using it to spy and control us after they have completely neutered us of drones/uav. This is in similar contrast to guns in Canada. Also bchydro, most state parks, provincial parks, and maybe regional parks (or any park for that matter) will stop us from using it eventually..... I mean , it is very very hard to use it without trespassing, breaking a law or offending anyone. Also the fines are extremely expensive, ludicrous imho. Obviously a scare tactic. Life and society in general is becoming more and more restrictive, only the privileged or rich will be able to enjoy their toys and obviously that's wrong but that's not new, life is unfair, blah blah blah. I am going to enjoy the last few weeks of rec drone flying till it becomes just too unbearable to fly. Definitely won't buy any new drones unless I get certified with more freedom or things change for the better in uav usage. I spend almost 10x as much time dealing with regulations and research than actual flying.

Look up in the Air, It's a Pilot post!
Pilot Posters, Keeping the world Safe & Sensible for those who aren't as skilled and Zen as they are
in all things airborne.

That's probably scarcasm, but please if you are considering a Mavic. Please go ahead with it and have your fun.
It sucks to think anyone would miss out on the Mavic experience (Especially if new to drones)

I dont know if those firmware update/restrictions were only for America (FAA).
But I just ignored them. I can still use DJI GO to calibrate and fly anywhere I like with Litchi.
Everyone would enjoy Litchi anyway

Social pressures disgust me sometime. People get depressed, or worse, because of unfair prejudice from accepted "society"
****, depression is taboo in my country. So taboo, we have our own Forest, that if your feeling leaned on, it's socially accepted to go there and do your thing.

But I majorly digress.
Just saying you have to get your fun out of life despite what others think.
Its up to you to decide when your out of line.

Peace
I read an article about how there was the same skepticism about bicycles when they first came out. People thought that bicyclists were out of control and a hazard to others. There are a lot of things that can be hazardous, but that doesn't mean we over regulate the use of these things. I think people perceive drones as being far more dangerous than they are much in the same way people perceive flying in an airplane as being more dangerous than driving. In reality a bicyclists poses a much greater chance of causing bodily injury or property damage, but they are not regulated as unfairly as drones.

There are a lot of laws that I wouldn't blame people for breaking. Just don't be stupid and you won't have a problem. Make your own rules and don't break them.

It seems we are repeating the same path, legislation-wise that was already trodden with other innovations. Lawmakers have no idea about an innovation, see it as a threat, and limit it.
When cars first appeared, there were in some countries required by law to not drive faster than horse carriages.
When bikes appeared, you had to register your bike, get a licence plate and pass a test, and then you were permitted to ride a bicycle only in certain designated areas, and required to dismount it when encountering a horse. Now everyone has a bike and rides it wherever...

Same will be with drones in 20-30 years' time.

I imagine so, I hope so anyway

I think the main reason the lawmakers is restricting us
is because drones are seeing use outside of hobby, in industry they
have a hand in
so they gonna regulate/restrict them out the ***

Some Japanese & British ww2 vets would disagree with me, but the Gummint
never had much use for the humble bicycle

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads